Do you know someone else who has SA?

Do you know anyone else who has SA?

• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters
I don't know anyone else who has SA, except for my mother (who is one of those silent sufferers). I've never had anyone to talk about it with like I can on here. Do you guys have friends with SA?

206Raider

I think my brother maybe has it. He seems happy for the most part though so I don't know. He doesn't do much or talk much but he is cocky and confident and the girls all follow him around, it's nothing for him.

reslo

yeah i think that everybody deals with social anxiety in their own way.
some people (no offense) they come off mean and tough- but you know deep down that they're terrified...
some have a nervous smile that seems permantly glued on (that's me, and another person i know)
a lot of people have different defense mechanisms that they use....
some drink...
some use humor as a defense...
some smoke....
a lot of my friends still live at home and they're in their early twenties
some have anxiety when it comes to girls, but they generally seem ok in other areas
one friend i know has asbergers and agoraphobia
when/if i do make friends, i usually make friends with people i can relate to, whether it's conscious or not.
i've never uttered the words Social Anxiety to any of my friends- and they haven't to me, it
s just kind of unsaid, but i know it's there. like i know when someone tells me like something bothers them or they feel uncomfortable, that they're probably just revealing the tip of the iceberg.
i feel very strongly that a person's personality is separate from their disease- some of the nicest, most caring people i've known have had severe depression :/ it's like only if they could see themselves as others do, but that's naive :/

i think it's probably impossible these days to not know somebody with depression-

it was just recently my friend told me how they hate calling strangers- and put it off completely if they can- it's not a good quality, but i've done/do the exact same thing and it's completely irrational....

lol i am using the term "friend" very losely- i mean people were at one point a friend, whether or not it's been years since we've actually communicated

No, none of my friends from school/work had SA.
I find it strange when I was at school and work, I seemed to gravitate towards those who were really comfortable/confident socially.....Maybe I thought I could learn or copy their behaviour. It didn't work though!:(

I don't know anyone who has it (I don't know anyone period) but, yeah, it would make things easier. Everyone who I come across seems so in love with life. *ugh*

lyricalliaisons

No, not now. But when I was a kid, my moms husbands brother I think might have had it. He worked at night & slept all day & rarely went anywhere or did anything. He spent his whole life, til his mom died when he was in his 40's living in his room, in his moms house. He rarely came out of it. They were married for like 8 years, & I saw him maybe 5 times throughout all that time & we used to go over there a lot when I was little.

Richey

I don't know anyone with it except a girl at work who while she's outgoing she seems to be hesitant and unsure of her words which reminds me of myself. i talk but often it comes out wrong when i'm under pressure. she is the same. that's about it. some people in my class are quiet but i've seen them around their friends and they are literally different people. they suddenly become witty and comfortable which is more a shyness factor for them because they'll sit around with people they know and they'll become witty and interesting and funny. i sit around anyone, family, friends and i still dont know what to say. sometimes i do but alot of the time i feel like my contribution isnt as good because the people speaking before me are being funny and so i think to myself "how do i top that"?

all of the younger people in my family are literally on clowd nine. my cousins on one side are all uni graduates in their dream careers same with my sister. on the other side my other cousins are only 15/16 and they have formed a band and they are incredible. they are playing zeppelin, beatles and queen covers and are going to be signed to a label. they all go out all the time. they are literally perfect. there is no one i can properly relate to on an empathy level of shyness in my family.

Last edited:

hippiechild

Most people in my family have some kind of anxiety or dysfunction of sorts. I also meet people with social anxiety relatively frequently

I don't know anyone other then the people I found on this site, it would be nice to know others, support each other etc.

Kat

I have known of people with SA but haven’t got to meet them and know them on a very personal level. When I first found out about my SA I was about 16 and I went to a couple of groups with people that had SA, I didn’t keep in contact with them though and there is definitely no age discrimination on this condition one of the groups I went to had two guys that were 60 with it, makes me wonder how long they have been battling with this::(: