Do you have any nervous habits/tics?

kuurt

Do you have any nervous habits that you do when your around people and uncomfortable?

I will often put my hands in my pockets with my thumbs sticking out when I'm nervous. Then If I catch myself doing that and try to stop doing it, I catch myself reaching up for my mouth. I kind of cup my hand over my mouth and pull it back down as if I were whipping food off of my mouth.

Those are my main two nervous habits. It sure is hard to stop doing them. I usually get a tenseness in my body in these nervous moments that triggers me to do these things. It's usually when I'm walking by people.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I tend to purse my lips and look at the ceiling.

patriots-head-coach.jpg

Ransfordrowe

Hi.I start breathing alot more loudly and blink alot.

As anxious people I think most of us have nervous habits.If your worried about yours then you can learn to stop doing it.Being aware of when you do it then stopping it.

But I don't think having a nervous habit is necessarily something to worry about.Unless it's extreme or physical damage to yourself.

theoutsider

I count to ten then backwards from ten to one. I hear that's something people with OCD do a lot. Also, at work mostly, if I have to speak in a situation where I know I'll be nervous I take a click pen with me and I'll either keep fiddling with it or I'll click it nonstop.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I used to twirl my hair a lot. Mainly I fidget a lot, and tend to scratch the back of my head. :bigsmile:

kuurt

I'm trying to replace my nervous tics with a new one that is probably not even noticeable. When I'm tempted to put my hands in my pockets or whip my mouth, I try to press my thumb nail against my finger instead.

lily

I count to ten then backwards from ten to one. I hear that's something people with OCD do a lot. Also, at work mostly, if I have to speak in a situation where I know I'll be nervous I take a click pen with me and I'll either keep fiddling with it or I'll click it nonstop.
that you'll click the pen non-stop is funny :bigsmile:

DeadmanWalking

I stumble over my words like I've had a bottle of vodka, I back away from who/whatever is making me nervous, I look down and refuse to make eye contact, and, apparently, I blush.

kuze

I can't make eye contact which makes me look really suspicious. Without the eye contact, I have the troublesome task of not staring at a person's boob or butt, which I inevitably do, because it's a self fulfilling prophecy at this point. At that point, the panic attacks set in, and the ticks just double downed even more. Is pretty much a cycle that I can't break.