Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Not ususally

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Never

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IceLad

I don’t know whether I have a kind looking face or the face of a mug! :D However I often get asked for money by strangers.

I remember going to the city of York a few years ago, and on my first night I was going down a street heading back to my hotel. A young woman was walking in front of me and I eventually caught up with her. As I neared her, she turned around and asked me whether I had a pound so that she could catch the train home. Perhaps it was because I was in a good mood, but I happily gave her the money.

The next night I was in the same street, around the same time, looking over a bridge when a young woman passed. We both looked at each other as if we both recognised the other vaguely (all would soon become clear). Anyway I didn’t think anything of it at the time and continued looking over the bridge for a few more minutes.

Eventually I started to head back for my hotel, and a few minutes later in exactly the same spot as the night before, a young woman turned around when I neared her and started asking me for money. What was funny was the way her facial expression changed. As she asked whether she could have a pound (this time for her tea!), her facial expression suddenly went from a sorrowful, puppy dog one, to a more ’Oh c**p, this was the man I asked last night (and just passed on the bridge)- I’ve been busted!’. Anyway she couldn’t stop herself from asking for change and this time I obviously refused, thoroughly disapproving of her in the process. All she did was apologise as she walked away.

From that point onwards I really started being distrustful of anyone that asks me for money. I guess because of my inability to say no to people (because of social anxiety), I still sometimes give it out.

Also on another occasion, I was on holiday in Edinburgh on my own and I was approached by two men asking for money. Frankly the way they approached me made me feel a bit intimidated. On seeing that I had a pocketful of change, they suddenly up their request for 30p to 80p!

Do you generally give money to strangers? Can you say no to them?

Perfidion

Vote: Depends (for all your adult undergarment needs)

If they look shifty or opportunistic, then no, I'll claim I'm skint and refuse. If they look genuinely desperate, then yes, I'll give them the money. Some people basically make a living from hitting up other people for money, and they deserve to be told to piss off and get a job.

worrywort

Sometimes. even if I KNOW they are lying to me. I don't care, I just like giving my money away. even to people who don't deserve it....infact ESPECIALLY to people who don't deserve it.

But then other times I think, if you wanna support the poor and needy, there are organisations who you can donate to, and who the poor and needy can go to if they need help.

and infact thinking about it further right now, if I were ever homeless I think it'd be rude and dishonourable to ask strangers for money. I'd go to homeless shelters and charities for help.

WastedPotential

I've seen people walking with groceries and have offered them rides...there are others way to help people other than throwing money at them.

Where's my money bitch?

If they just randomly ask me for it - No, not ever. I hardly ever have any money with me anyways. One time someone even tried to give ME money because they thought I looked like a homeless person. I have however from time to time given the more derserving a bit of my spare change. I remember a guy standing on his head, you know you can't be drunk or anything to be able to do that. Those are the only circumstances where I will give them money.

If they're playing an instrument I don't mind giving them some. Or if they look like a decent person and not like they're gonna use it for alcohol or drugs.

One time I was walking down a street and some homeless guy asked me for 37 cents. I pulled out all the change I had in my pocket and ... it was 37 cents. Spooky. :eek:

Rodox

I have never seen a homeless person here in Japan,but I am sure there are some,I just didnt see them,you truly feel that you are in a first world country.

Tiercel

Usually not. But I once gave a bum in Washington, D.C. a Snickers bar and a 20 oz. bottle of iced tea. Talk about scoring points for the afterlife. :)

nephatitus

no never

at one point when i did have faith in this bullsh!t called "humanity" and "goodwill", now i just feel like pulling a Patrick Bateman

this_portrait

Most of the time, no. Can't really tell who's hungry, and who just wants to go to the local crack house, anymore. A lot of the time when weirdos in Chicago come on campus to beg, I'm usually in a hurry to get where I'm going anyway, so I ignore them.

IceLad

Just to add a bit more to my original post...

I used to think that appearance was such a good indicator as to whether strangers asking for money were genuine or not. However the woman I encountered in York blew that out of the water. She was quite smartly dressed and seemed very plausible, but obviously made a part time living targeting what she perceived to be tourists every night.

I've never given money to a stranger because unfortunately everyone who's ever asked me has been an obvious addict (meth is big around here and meth-heads are unmistakable).

Kinetik

Strangers accosting me is one of the biggest sources of anxiety for me personally, so I tend to not even acknowledge anyone trying to talk to me. I usually look straight ahead and keep walking.