Do You Ever Get Tense (Freeze Up) in a Checkout Line

decadeOfSA

Like when going to the store and you are in line and then you have to give payment?

Anyone have a lot of muscle tension as one of their main social anxiety symptoms?

Lanciao37

I used to have this exact problem, I had to force myself to move, There were times when I did not go to buy stuff because of that fear. Even If I wanted something more than my next breath, I would not go buy it.. Other times I used to look at who was at the counter before going to pick things! If I didnt like the way they looked or something I went somewhere else.

Not anymore though, Sure I still have a little anxiety, But I can walk right up now

mikebird

Banned
My main anxiety is usually complex conversation, especially in interview.

It's always felt the same in a checkout queue - lots easier when accompanied by a girlfriend, when we had plenty to talk about between us.

And having a haircut feels the same effect - as if it's all eyes on me - it's not true, at all, but how I feel...

When I bump into an old friend in the street when we haven't met for ages, it should be an opportunity to share news, but my speech gets really bad - not stammered, but something a bit like that. I struggle for new words to formulate a sentence, when I'm searching through memory from years back. I never say "ummm.. uhhh.. yeah... like..... you know..." even posh people - parliament, and even the Royal Family all say stuff like that! I have an organised mind, and occasionally wait a couple of seconds to get a sentence together, but that is a lot better than fumbling. When the anxiety is at its worst and I'm sweating, I'm sure people can tell how nervous I am. The speech is physical - slurring - sounding like a bit of a spastic - tongue and lips seem to get a bit out of control. Maybe it's my imagination, but it gets worse, compounded by other factors dragged into it.

mikebird

Banned
Life has flipped upside-down

When I was 19 to about 28
I was rude, mocking people in the street. Buddies to live with, go out with, always someone to chat with a laugh with. I had the confidence to do anything - bring a bottle of wine to an underground bar, borrow some glasses to drink the wine. After a few minutes, the bar owners noticed what we were doing, and chucked us out and said if we go there we have to buy drinks there. I laughed. I didn't realise that - I could see why, but my ego knocked sideways, as it might be these days. I was laughing. We've thrown bricks at car windscreens in the street, just for a laugh. These days, it's hard for me to look people in the eye in the street at all! I had plenty of finesse - loads to talk about - loads of friends.

Sometimes, I feel even if I do muster the effort to speak to some stranger, and get some kind of neutral response, I wonder if my speech is so quiet they might not able to hear, or not able to make sense of what I said...

I wonder if my current status quo will stay the same, get better, or get worse?

Rembrandt Broam

Like when going to the store and you are in line and then you have to give payment?

Anyone have a lot of muscle tension as one of their main social anxiety symptoms?

I get very anxious when buying stuff in stores. This is mainly because I think that the other person will be judging me based on what I'm buying. It's especially bad if I'm buying a DVD or CD or something, where the purchase directly reflects my personal tastes.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of in the store, I freeze up everytime when I'm at the Checkout Line, because I don't know where to look at and I'm in the center of attention, I have to pay and say Hi, though it is very good to do more often for me :) If I freeze up, I feel extremely awkward tho, and I cannot get the scenario out of my head, I tell myself I looked like a freak in front of the cashier.

My question for you all, Do you feel ashamed of buying specific stuff?
I sometimes do.. :rolleyes: Depends what it is :)

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I used to freeze up in the checkout line all the time. I’ve since learned to steer-clear of going into a store if I’m feeling that anxious though. I’m pretty good at gauging my anxiety levels from a distance now and can avoid a lot of sticky situations these days by trusting myself.

Phoenixx

I don't usually freeze up in a checkout. I do get tense, but never to the point where I feel like I really have to force myself to do something. I think it's because I know it'll be over with pretty quickly. But of course I'd definitely still choose self checkout over having the cashier do it.

My question for you all, Do you feel ashamed of buying specific stuff?
I sometimes do.. :rolleyes: Depends what it is :)
^ Yeah I sometimes do too. Well, I guess it isn't I feel so much ashamed as I feel kind of awkward about it and anxious because I'm worried about what they're thinking. But yeah, depends on what it is.

StupidWiz

Sometimes, when I buy a lotsa thing while there are many people waiting behind me. It usually makes me feel uneasy and worried. But when I'm alone with the cashier, no trouble at all.

Sometimes I also feel bad thinking about how the cashier would judge me if I bought something. I understand that being a cashier could make you know what some customer need or even could see customer's personality by looking at things that they buy. Even if it's true, then who are they to judge us? If they're rude enough to make a silly comment about things that we buy then we can just say "It's none of your business" or "Who are you again and why do you care?" Or "Look, if you don't want me to buy this, just say it and I'll talk to your manager". Those are the response that I've prepared if that situation occurs. :)

nikkixo

I don't know if I really freeze up, but I always get really nervous cuz I never know what to say. I usually just look around stupidly until its over. I choose self checkout if it's an option and if not then I usually go to the older sweet looking checkout ladies, I'm not really sure why. Younger people tend to intimidate me.

decadeOfSA

This never used to be a problem, but it is now. Not always, but often. As soon as I have to swipe my card or give money, I freeze up. Sometimes before then.

It maybe because I'm tapering off a long-time benzo addiction. I dunno. I really don't even have conscious anxious thoughts. It just happens.

I don't really have a problem making eye contact with anyone though. My main anxiety symptoms have always been tense muscles. My neck used to twitch, because it would get so tense. Now, it's more in my arms.

Last edited:

fitftw

I can handle a checkout line pretty easily since it's something that I do on a weekly basis. The only weird part is the beginning when you say "hi how are you" because if you don't, they think you're an ******* or something. I hated being a cashier, I never talked to anyone. People would sometimes talk to me like I was their friend or something and I just pretended to know wtf was going on so I'd say one-word responses until they got the point.

Aden

Yes, exactly the same especially the twitches from the neck. It's the worst, makes you look like a r*****

Moses199

ahhh, twitching is the worst. I remeber i went to a barber and i had to wait on a for a hour for my haircut. The whole during the wait i felt as if i was being watched by this guy who was sitting far beside me, i tried to get my head away from that thought and it was actually working when until i thought i heard his wife say whats wrong with that kid. and bamm! :eek: my head and neck started twitching (not to much but enough for someone to till). that was the first time i experience a twitch around people. Luckily i left before it got any worst. Then came back when the guy and his wife left. Leaving me and the barber which was a cool old guy. I was glad though that out conversation during the haircut made me forget about the previous neck twitching event.:rolleyes:

Paahi

I get really tense because I'm convinced everyone is staring at me. Then I end up doing everything wrong when I'm going to pay.

decadeOfSA

ahhh, twitching is the worst. I remeber i went to a barber and i had to wait on a for a hour for my haircut. The whole during the wait i felt as if i was being watched by this guy who was sitting far beside me, i tried to get my head away from that thought and it was actually working when until i thought i heard his wife say whats wrong with that kid. and bamm! :eek: my head and neck started twitching (not to much but enough for someone to till). that was the first time i experience a twitch around people. Luckily i left before it got any worst. Then came back when the guy and his wife left. Leaving me and the barber which was a cool old guy. I was glad though that out conversation during the haircut made me forget about the previous neck twitching event.:rolleyes:

I've had mild to moderate SA most of my life. Out of the blue while on Buspar (an anti-anxiety drug), I started getting headaches and general head and neck tension at work. Eventually the tension got so bad that my neck kept twitching for days. I saw my shrink and got some Xanax and then switched to Klonopin. That made the twitching stop, but I still get tense in social/performance situation and neck twitching occasionally. Neck twitching definitely is the worst symptom

I don't get the twitching as much anymore, but I do get general muscle tension all over now and freeze up in a checkout line. That never used to happen. I'm in the process of tapering off the benzos. I advise that you stay away from benzos, because they will cause more problems in the long run. I'm wondering if the Buspar and Benzo dependency/rebound anxiety/inter-dose withdrawal has made my anxiety worse for years.

Getting a haircut is an anxiety provoking experience now, but it never use to be in my long history of SA.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

I'm fine in daily activities like the checkout line.

But when I'm acting or giving a speech, even if I don't feel anxious, I notice my neck sort of locks and certain movements make me look... twitchy. I have to really focus to keep my movements fluid.

'tis odd.