Do you consider yourself mentally ill?

lyricalliaisons

Yes, because I have a mental illness. That makes me mentally ill. There's nothing wrong with it. Some people's brains are just wired differently than others.

Niteowl

Mentally ill? Goodness no. Even if it is recognised as the right term, it's a very negative-sounding one.

When I think of an illness, I think of the sort of thing that is cured by taking it easy, getting a little more sleep perhaps, and taking medication - that is not how to go about dealing with social anxiety in the long-term. There's no room for negativity in my life any more. I don't know what to call it if not an illness, so I don't call it anything - it's just social anxiety, it's not a mental anything to me. Something that I'll cast aside with determination, and self-improvement, not with bed rest, extra layers and a prescription of antibiotics.

Psychologists can call it whatever they want. As far as I'm concerned, it's a "quirk" - and that sounds much more pleasant.

EscapeArtist

Mentally ill? Goodness no. Even if it is recognised as the right term, it's a very negative-sounding one.

When I think of an illness, I think of the sort of thing that is cured by taking it easy, getting a little more sleep perhaps, and taking medication - that is not how to go about dealing with social anxiety in the long-term. There's no room for negativity in my life any more. I don't know what to call it if not an illness, so I don't call it anything - it's just social anxiety, it's not a mental anything to me. Something that I'll cast aside with determination, and self-improvement, not with bed rest, extra layers and a prescription of antibiotics.

Psychologists can call it whatever they want. As far as I'm concerned, it's a "quirk" - and that sounds much more pleasant.

I like your answer, and I love "quirk!" That works so well.

EscapeArtist

:) I see mental illness as the opposite of mental healthiness and that there are degrees within it - severe, mild, temporary, permanent - and I attach no stigma to it.

Stigma and discrimination
"Mental illness attracts less empathy and more distrust than other forms of illness. People may consciously or unconsciously blame the people with mental illness for their condition, implying a character flaw rather than a disorder. Another misconception is that mental illness is a "life sentence" with no chance of recovery. Some people believe that those with mental illness are unable to contribute to society: that they cannot work, study, be good parents, or take on other roles. In fact, the experience of mental illness varies widely in terms of symptoms, treatment and life impact. Some people experience only a single episode. Others have an illness in which episodes recur and they need ongoing management and treatment, but some will be well much of the time.
"

While I agree with your answer, and do see it in some light as a mental "illness" becuase it is not a part of the person, that's what's so important to remember. Somehow having a mental illness and consider yourself a mentally ill person are two different things. So now my opinion is conflicted lol

Phoenixx

It may just be the terminology, but I don't consider myself mentally ill. I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with my mental functioning. Maybe someone on the outside looking in would disagree, but it doesn't feel like that to me so I don't consider myself mentally ill.

What makes a person "mentally ill" is defined by society, and I don't do any of the behaviors or cognitions of a mentally ill person based on what I have been socialized to believe is mentally ill. The only times I ever feel like I am mentally ill is when I talk to myself uncontrollably, or when I get fixated on certain thoughts. In general though, I don't consider myself mentally ill.

I don't have a specific label for what I am, but cowardly and pathetic come to mind. My lack of inhibition and motivation makes me boring, or depressed maybe. A perfectionist who is afraid to make a mistake. Someone who has room for improvement.
^ Exactly this.

Noop

maybe, but i think i'm better that way. altho, i don't like forcing myself away from people. i just don't like other peoples dirty hands on me and that goes for girls more so.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

This is the problem - "mentally ill" is stigmatized because of misconceptions by culture and society and the word itself. Mentally ill does NOT only mean psychopathic and you cannot function or are crazy and shouldnt be only negative and wrong. Or that you are inferior to others... there should be no shame ideally for it...

I think what's really wrong, is not recognizing many things as YES, being "mentally ill"... if you were "fine" you wouldn't be here, I'm sorry... =D

We must get over such stigmatization and labels and passed the negative connotations and really get the help we all deserve to get... Social Anxiety is a form of mental illness for example, want to call it other than illness fine, but it's stopping one from living their life and affecting your thoughts/behaviors. Insert whatever issue does that.

So... screw this notion of it being negative or being weaker/inferior and what society says - views of society changes with enough people - imo we dont get the resources and help and view and awareness and education on mental health in our society we should, esp in the US... no it's not a positive thing, but we will get NOTHING accomplished if we prissy foot around it - nothing wrong with needing help, or something mentally off interfering with ones life day to day or in phases. Like it or not, some things we must accept, and move forward.

Last edited:

upndwn

Mental illness is just as bad as a physical one, and in some aspects even worse since our ailment is invisible to those around us and very little understood.

I have no problem calling myself mentally ill, it is part of who I am and something I have come to term with a long time ago.

Noop

mental illness can also make you careless of physical illness too.

i drink when i can, eat rubbish food, masturbate lots, hit myself and punch walls, i don't wash myself, etc... i even used to eat all the skin from around my finger nails at one point.

i was born half blind and mentally reduced, so there you go, started from day one;)

fitftw

i drink when i can, eat rubbish food, masturbate lots, hit myself and punch walls, i don't wash myself, etc... i even used to eat all the skin from around my finger nails at one point.

check, check, check, nope, nope, nope, check.

I love finger nail skin.

Pookah

Yes, I consider it a mental illness as it falls under such criteria as to be labeled as such. If it sounds better you can call it a mental disorder. It appears in the DSM which is a diagnostic manual for mental disorders. And it is social anxiety disorder, after all.

Rot

I don't consider it a mental illness. I really never wanted to, and I deeply refuse the idea of considering myself mentally ill. I don't know why, maybe it's fear, maybe it's just a way to play down the importance of it.

I always thought about it like one of many characteristics I have. It makes me be the way I am, and without it I wouldn't be me. Many other people have inexplicables phobias and they are not considered mentally ill. I do consider it a problem, and maybe a handicap, but everyone have different kind of problems.

Mickery

Wikipedia said:
A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.

Sounds like a "yes" to me.

Pookah

People wanting to distance themselves from the term are stigmatizing it pretty much. "Oh I'm not like that!" Implying that is some horrible word to be associated with, and thus furthering that thought process.