Do You Believe In Bad Luck?

Apersonalan

Whenever bad things happen to me I become unhappy and whenever I'm unhappy I get this streak of bad luck that I can't seem to shake off and the vicious cycle continues.

When people are nice and friendly to me it seems to create this ripple effect and all of a sudden more people approach me, either that or they just have sympathy for the strong, to put it that way. But whenever something happens that I can't even help it's like people can sense it or something and I act as some kind of repellant :eek:

Shyangel

I think everyone creates they'er own luck...But I do wonder, because when something bad happens, it seems like more bad always fallows. Taking last year for example. On march 29th my dad had a seizure, the day after, my boyfriend of four years broke up with me.
I was destroyed in every sense of the word. I hope to never go through something like that again.

As a rational and analytic person, I don't like to believe ins such thing as luck, but physically this is a world of indeterminacy, so of course we have this (at least perceived) randomness factor affecting our lives, and that may be abstracted as "luck".

And whenever I see someone having it easier or getting better chances than me regardless of their merits or actions, I do know that I always can be worst, but also think about in all the many ways things could be better for me with some little changes, specially in the situations I know I would use the opportunities if I've had those chances. That doesn't mean I'm not aware that I have a huge path ahead in order to learn to create my own opportunities.

ScaredToBreathe

everything is by chance, there can be good luck and bad luck. mostly when im having good luck and i feel good and everything's going my way and seems perfect all of a sudden something really bad will happen and destroy my happiness. but whenever im having really bad luck it usually just gets worse. ::(:

That's more about our beliefs in bad or good luck. If we repeatedly think on bad luck...we'll probably get on them!

Our mind tends to focus in what we think. That's why positive thinks can be so effective...and negatives bring to much damage!

MikeyC

I think things just happen out of pure chance, and bad luck is just a lot of bad things that happen to occur in a row. It's nothing personal - it's just how it happens. Like Shyangel, regarding her dad's seizure and the split with her boyfriend one day after the other. While terrible, I think it's just bad luck out of chance.

Sometimes we create our own bad luck. For example, choosing to walk through a park at 2am with lots of drunk men carrying on will probably not be a good choice and will result in bad, but expected, luck.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am not sure if 'luck' is exactly the right word...but I do think there are external factors beyond our control that determines our experiences and sometimes position in life.

I dont believe people create their own luck.... rather, I think people pave the way for opportunity.... but despite that, you can create all the the opportunity you want.... crappy things can still happen due to misfortune and circumstance.

Last edited:

Iluv

Sort of. I know it's not a living thing but from what I do know, I know it's like saying you are in 'love', we can't see it, but it happens.

Feathers

That is a really great video, thanks for posting it - I believe we need more of that (transparency etc) worldwide...
was slightly shocked it was 'endorsment' for a presidential candidate in Nigeria? :)

As for good luck/bad luck - I may be a trifle superstitious, 'bad events' can usually be great life lessons though...

Shyangel, sometimes significant others can't handle the stress, someone I know had repeated stress with her family and her bf broke up with her cause he couldn't handle to see her crying etc. She has a better bf now. (I hope!) And has hopefully learnt to deal with stresses better too..
So, wishing you to find someone who can deal with stress/emotions better!! (Or maybe your ex-bf could learn & grow as a person...? If it's meant to be, who knows?)

I've gone through some rough times too, usually had my own (and/or other people's) stupidity and/or lack of knowledge to thank... Have learnt a lot from it all too... even illness or death of people we love can be a 'learning lesson' to live healthier etc.

I do think luck may have something to do with what happens or what we do too, everyone has good luck sometimes, and we still have options to do many things - we're still alive, right?

Jegan

Whenever bad things happen to me I become unhappy and whenever I'm unhappy I get this streak of bad luck that I can't seem to shake off and the vicious cycle continues.

When people are nice and friendly to me it seems to create this ripple effect and all of a sudden more people approach me, either that or they just have sympathy for the strong, to put it that way. But whenever something happens that I can't even help it's like people can sense it or something and I act as some kind of repellant :eek:
This happens to me all the time. I cant explain it how but its like a string of bad events happen to me over and over. And I am starting to believe its falling in to a pattern. If one thing goes wrong at one place, another thing will go wrong and that will not be even related to each other. Its been like this for a while. I wish i can change this pattern, i dont know how to jump out of it.

JustWannaLove

it could just be psychological.
when you are unhappy, you probably notice the negatives more and you become more prone to having a bad experience simply because the sadness you feel.

and when you are happy, it might show on your face, so people feel like approaching you. i've often learned that this is the case. hope that helped to explain things a little somehow...and no, i dont believe in bad luck, but i believe everything happens for a reason.

Apersonalan

it could just be psychological.
when you are unhappy, you probably notice the negatives more and you become more prone to having a bad experience simply because the sadness you feel.

and when you are happy, it might show on your face, so people feel like approaching you. i've often learned that this is the case. hope that helped to explain things a little somehow...and no, i dont believe in bad luck, but i believe everything happens for a reason.

I don't really believe that things happen for a reason take this guy I knew called Steve, and for some reason there are a lot of Steves where I live, he was a total jerk and would always call you out to pick on looking for a fight. The best moment I ever had was when my best friend Matt decked him and he started crying like the coward he was, you think that would be the end of it but 10 years later I check his myspace he now has an expensive car and two kids that Hitler would approve and he's just that kind of person too, based on his semi humorous profile he's hasn't changed either. You see only in movies do you get the fairytale ending or the one where the bully gets what he deserves but in real life **** happens. You see he might be an ass but he surrounds himself with people who like him or even take his orders, they tickle his ego, he becomes confident and from this he gets what he wants in life, has nothing to do with his personality just the way he's treated, I even imagine if there is a God he would now be smiling down at him given how much he's accomplished in life. I'm in reverse.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I believe in a sort of luck I guess. I think everything happens for a reason too, and I think there are some things out of our control. I don't think we can always see the reasons why things happen though, so I think it's hard to say whether specific acts of "luck" are good or bad. I think there's a lot we don't know, and it's better to just assume there's a point behind it.