Do people w/APD have the ability 2 give someone a chance, to date..fall in love?

TooShyShy

Should a person just give up completely?

Is there any way someone who suffers from this (in a big way) can let their gaurd down. open up, give their trust...maybe even fall in love, etc. any success stories out there?

What do you do when you KNOW the person is attracted to you (yet a shy, avoident, nervous wreck around you and only you) but their APD won't allow them to do anything about it, accept stare ALOT :confused:

Would it be easier if you knew (for sure) the women/man really wanted you???

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share their opinions and/or stories :)

shybhoy

Should a person just give up completely?

Is there any way someone who suffers from this (in a big way) can let their gaurd down. open up, give their trust...maybe even fall in love, etc. any success stories out there?

What do you do when you KNOW the person is attracted to you (yet a shy, avoident, nervous wreck around you and only you) but their APD won't allow them to do anything about it, accept stare ALOT :confused:

Would it be easier if you knew (for sure) the women/man really wanted you???

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share their opinions and/or stories :)

Personally, i don't think it is easier i think that just makes it harder for them because then they need to do something about it but don't know how so this just leads to more emotional distance and avoidance, thats been my experience anyway.

TooShyShy

Personally, i don't think it is easier i think that just makes it harder for them because then they need to do something about it but don't know how so this just leads to more emotional distance and avoidance, thats been my experience anyway.

I agree, once he knoe for sure i liked him, he got more nervous and more avoident for a time but then came back around me and i got confused. I felt if you can't do this or won't do this--then why start coming back around me again?

I have to say, he will do anything ask him to, he gives everyone else a hard time..lol..but never me, he will always help me--but he's still so nervous around me..it makes me anervous and its this never ending cycle!

Its just so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VioletTears

I don't know if mine is a success story but, this is how it worked for us...

I found out a guy liked me (from his friends). Apparently he kept saying he was going to ask me out but chickened out. So I told a girl I would buy her a mountain dew if she told him (in front of me) that he should ask me out. It worked and we have been together ever since... 12 years, married 6 of them.

That said, I'm still very avoidant in our relationship. I have a lot of trouble confronting conflict, and I pull away from him a lot in general. My therapist is telling me that I need to start writing him letters. Hopefully that helps.

Confuseddd

Hey so can you help me out? Does it sound like i have apd? I have an extremely high emotional wall that i dont even let family into for the most part(getting better with that though). If i dont know you i can sometimes interact but more times then not never on a personal level. I dont trust any one because i think that they would not understand me( sometimes i think they wouldnt like me if they got to know me only on occasions do i feel that way) Is this somehow connected to SA and Toxic shame? for awhile i thought i had it figured out, but now im not sure because it sounds like i can relate to so many different people who deal with SA and AVP ect.. i couldnt possibly have all these things wrong with me unless they were connected right?

Darryl

Avpd people long for the closeness of someone.

Avpd people need to mentally know that the'll be liked before any contact.

You'll have to make him/her feel good about themselves, so you'll have to make the first move.

This could work for you build up the friendship and go from there.
While your making the first move think about how you're making yourself stronger than the disorder.

We have two thought processes- ours and the disorder- but we choose the listen accordindly to the disorder.

This excitment is making you think of him/her- your not being controlled by the disorder this time, but the attraction of the opposite sex.

Last edited:

TooShyShy

Avpd people long for the closeness of someone.

Avpd people need to mentally know that the'll be liked before any contact.

You'll have to make him/her feel good about themselves, so you'll have to make the first move.

This could work for you build up the friendship and go from there.
While your making the first move think about how you're making yourself stronger than the disorder.

We have two thought processes- ours and the disorder- but we choose the listen accordindly to the disorder.

This excitment is making you think of him/her- your not being controlled by the disorder this time, but the attraction of the opposite sex.

So many things resinate with me from your reply bcuz i see this everyday!!!!!!

He tries, he hides, he gets close to me (as close as he can be) then keeps a safe distance again, then he comes back around again and does something to make me feel he's trying to push through...then he's terrified bcuz he literally puts himself wherever i am and looks like he's ''ready'' to do something..but then can not make a solid move out of fear and then he retreats until the next day..then comes back around, etc.

I even let him know how i felt for him by giving him cards (where i let him know) baked cookies, etc. it gets difficult though bcuz he could never respod appropriately and tell me how he feels instead he'd flip out and then come back around and really TRY to show me he feels something!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrr its sooooooo frustrating and very sad :( for me bcuz i see his anxiety and his overwhelming fear but yet i see he wants something from me...and i hear the **sigh** literally when he walks by me with his head down. Eye cintact is better..he can look at me now for a longer period of time..he use to look down at the ground or fidget and look up, down, etc.

Its very difficult especially bcuz he doesn't ever go away..he still hangs in there and tries and tries and tries..wether its to say hello or good morning everyday (he initiates this) shows up or ''plants himself'' where ever i am in the building (places he doesn't need to be) or just plain STARES from afar and can do this for 10 to 15 minutes at a time!!!!!!

He will also jump at the chance to do things fo rme if i need help. If i ask for something he goes beyond the call of duty (he's in maenyenance) he isn't like that with others in the building..sometime she's a real smart azzzz..but NEVER WITH ME! He's extremely self conscious around me, i hate it!!!!!!!

By the way i am the ONLY person he does these things with. He is totatlly fine with everyone else in our building; women, men, children--i work in daycare. And he is actually very funny, silly and talkative with the rest of the world..lol..around me he has tunnel vision! I really feel for him its a raw situiation somedays for both of us.

TooShyShy

I dont trust any one because i think that they would not understand me( sometimes i think they wouldnt like me if they got to know me only on occasions do i feel that way)
Is this somehow connected to SA and Toxic shame?

I think this is definitley Social Anxiety!!!!!!

Mokkat

Maybe, if a girl really tried to get something going with me.
I would probably blow it, when she tries to get through my awkward facade and discovers whats underneath - the underwhelming and nervous little person, avoiding every question involving his life and who doesn't have a clue how to show interest or need for her on the outside

TooShyShy

Maybe, if a girl really tried to get something going with me.
I would probably blow it, when she tries to get through my awkward facade and discovers whats underneath - the underwhelming and nervous little person, avoiding every question involving his life and who doesn't have a clue how to show interest or need for her on the outside

Even if you saw ''signs'' that she had interest? You'd still blow it?

How do you know what her life is about..and that she'd be affected negatively? Maybe she is shy herself????

eternalnewb

I'm kind of new here, I've been lurking for a while reading posts and this one really interested me. I'm sure that there are many people with AvPD who are in successful relationships, however it often seems like it's impossible. I went out with a guy who I could see myself with longterm, I knew that he really liked me and that was what totally freaked me out. I knew that sooner or later I would do something to screw things up so I ended it before that could happen. I would like to believe that I'll fall in love, but at the same time I can see how it might not happen for me.

Tiercel

I avoid things to the point that I've practically given up approaching women. I'm so afraid that I won't be good enough for them that I convince myself of it before I even try. (Ultimately it comes down to being good enough or not being good enough in my head, regardless of other possibilities.)

But if a woman was interested in me, I'd be very tempted to see where it goes. I'd still be afraid of rejection, but I wouldn't be the one initiating things.

I guess that makes sense? :confused:

Kato

I'm kind of new here, I've been lurking for a while reading posts and this one really interested me. I'm sure that there are many people with AvPD who are in successful relationships, however it often seems like it's impossible. I went out with a guy who I could see myself with longterm, I knew that he really liked me and that was what totally freaked me out. I knew that sooner or later I would do something to screw things up so I ended it before that could happen. I would like to believe that I'll fall in love, but at the same time I can see how it might not happen for me.

So many people do not deserve our trust. Trying to navigate around them is difficult but not impossible if you are determined. Welcome :)

Darryl

I'm sure that there are many people with AvPD who are in successful relationships, however it often seems like it's impossible. I went out with a guy who I could see myself with longterm, I knew that he really liked me and that was what totally freaked me out. I knew that sooner or later I would do something to screw things up so I ended it before that could happen. I would like to believe that I'll fall in love, but at the same time I can see how it might not happen for me.

This is a Avpd trait.:)
We have unrealistic expectations of how life will be with a new partner.
When things don't turn out according to plan ..."real life"
We back out.

Warm welcome
Darryl

TooShyShy

Thats so interesting..especially when you do want the relationship and there is someone that wants to be with you but your subconscious is telling you its not going to work, not for you, not meant to be, etc. very sad:(