Diet advice needed!

SilentAndShy

Right, need some advice.

After one takeaway too many probably, I've decided that I want to start to lose some weight. I'm not in a position for the gym yet but what's the best advice in terms of a diet? I'm around 5'11 and weight 13 stone! I'm turning 30 in September and want to feel and look good by then.

My diet is woeful atm, I know it's difficult for me to stay away from takeaways but I feel if I can wean myself off slowly then I could keep it under discipline.

I need to know what I should be intaking but food which is something I can cook myself easily (my 'cooking' is restricted to microwave/oven use!) would be great!

SCP-087-1

Raw vegetables. Plain popcorn. Stuff with high fibre and low calories. It keeps you full for longer but has low calories

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Ok,
As a qualified fitness instructor and having the experience of running a health club for 8 years, and during that time being heavily involved in natural bodybuilding, rehabilitation and weight loss/gain, I feel at least somewhat qualified to give you some info.

Diets work short term. But when you stop them (eventually everyone does) you gain what you have lost, and usually then some.
Fad diets are not the answer to lasting change.

You need to incorporate gradual daily changes to your life to ensure you lose weight, then maintain a healthy weight. These changes break down into 2 groups.

Energy intake (diet/food consumption), and Energy output (exercise).

If you ingest more energy than you expend, you'll gain weight (We're talking fat here of course).

If you expend slightly more energy each day than you consume, you'll lose weight.

It's a simple formula. Choose low calorie/energy foods. Exercise each day. Stay active.
I won't list each category of food and it's energy value, that's easy enough to google.

But a lot of people think they need some magic bullet diet to lose weight, the truth is they don't. It all (for most people) equates to the simple formula of energy in V's energy out.

Stay away from potatoes, pumpkin, rice, pasta and bread. Do some research on starchy carbs and fibrous carbs. Prefer fibrous over starchy.

It's quite simple once you get the hang of it.
Good luck :)

^great post! I'll add learn to cook beyond microwave/oven, its not that hard to replicate takeaways in healthier ways

Pug gave you all the info you need really. I recommend downloading MyFitnessPal on your phone and track your calories. It'll help you figure out how many calories you need to eat in order to start losing weight. It was so helpful when I was bulking.

It also has a Barcode scanner which inputs all the nutritional info, super convenient.

Bronson99

Ok,
As a qualified fitness instructor and having the experience of running a health club for 8 years, and during that time being heavily involved in natural bodybuilding, rehabilitation and weight loss/gain, I feel at least somewhat qualified to give you some info.

Ah yes, fitness instructors and those who run health clubs are well known for social anxiety.... Sorry, but I find this hard to believe, or otherwise you are recovered and just here to help.

I can't even imagine being "in charge" of anything.

Ah yes, fitness instructors and those who run health clubs are well known for social anxiety.... Sorry, but I find this hard to believe, or otherwise you are recovered and just here to help.

This is a ridiculous reply. Don't invalidate other people's experiences simply because you cannot understand them. It may be that his social anxiety has occured since then, or he tolerated it/managed it whilst working, it may be that it only occurs in certain situations. Or any number of other things :thumbdown:

PugofCrydee

Actually matey, my SA was a lot less severe back in those days. What else is probably hard to believe (for such a knowledgeable and all knowing experienced soul such as yourself) is that people can in fact lead productive lives while suffering from anxiety disorders.

Johnny Depp, Kim Basinger, Abe Lincoln, Whoopie Goldberg just to name a few.. but you'd probably find it hard to believe this.

So just how do you tell if someone has SA just by looking at them Bronson? Well, we all know you can't.. and you'd probably be surprised at just who has some form of SA.. but I guess you'd probably find this hard to believe ;)

Facethefear

Pug is right. I tried excessive low calorie dieting in my teens with no exercise and ended up very thin (105 lbs.), nervous and food obsessed. Later in life, I accepted my size 10 body as normal until I got an energetic small dog who demanded walks - twice a day. In one year we had walked 1000 steps x twice a day x 365 days =730,000 steps and I was down to size 8 and could eat everything I wanted. A little effort daily makes a difference.

Bronson99

This is a ridiculous reply. Don't invalidate other people's experiences simply because you cannot understand them. It may be that his social anxiety has occured since then, or he tolerated it/managed it whilst working, it may be that it only occurs in certain situations. Or any number of other things :thumbdown:

Maybe they could acknowledge, then, where I'm coming from. Or tell me "I could do the same thing," at least.

Bronson99

Actually matey, my SA was a lot less severe back in those days. What else is probably hard to believe (for such a knowledgeable and all knowing experienced soul such as yourself) is that people can in fact lead productive lives while suffering from anxiety disorders.

Johnny Depp, Kim Basinger, Abe Lincoln, Whoopie Goldberg just to name a few.. but you'd probably find it hard to believe this.

So just how do you tell if someone has SA just by looking at them Bronson? Well, we all know you can't.. and you'd probably be surprised at just who has some form of SA.. but I guess you'd probably find this hard to believe ;)

Maybe you can't tell SA that way, but very often one can certainly tell who is autistic, and who isn't... just by looking at them. :thumbup:

It just seems "my type of SA" is very inflexible and unyielding, not the kind you can really work on very much, because there's other problems behind it. I seem to have a hardwired problem with empathy, emotional control and reading social cues.. and it's swept under the rug here. Real problems that have a developmental base. And the only advice that is given--go "join groups," get a "social network," this or that--is pretty much advice that does not work for someone with autistic qualities.

I've been to autistic forums and ADD forums and this or that, don't suggest it please... this place here is actually a better fit. But it's not fun to read about "High Functioning SA" when I am struggling to figure out the most basic things, and failing... every single time, unable to learn, because I don't know what I even did wrong, and no one will tell me.

PugofCrydee

Maybe you can't tell SA that way, but very often one can certainly tell who is autistic, and who isn't... just by looking at them. :thumbup:

It just seems "my type of SA" is very inflexible and unyielding, not the kind you can really work on very much, because there's other problems behind it. I seem to have a hardwired problem with empathy, emotional control and reading social cues.. and it's swept under the rug here. Real problems that have a developmental base. And the only advice that is given--go "join groups," get a "social network," this or that--is pretty much advice that does not work for someone with autistic qualities.

I've been to autistic forums and ADD forums and this or that, don't suggest it please... this place here is actually a better fit. But it's not fun to read about "High Functioning SA" when I am struggling to figure out the most basic things, and failing... every single time, unable to learn, because I don't know what I even did wrong, and no one will tell me.

Perhaps start a new thread discussing this? Otherwise we can unintentionally hijack this one.

nodejesque

So, i dont think im a good person to give advice, especially because im constantly trying to get healthier. But i love junk food, such as chocolate, candy, and cake.

I would only recommend getting away from the term "diet". It just depresses me, especially at the beginning. But i have been going to the gym for a while now, and i run, do weights, and practise low impact exercises daily... such as yoga.

Also, dont focus on the scale. Im at my lowest weight, but feel gross about myself. So i got rid of the scale, because it was not really making me feel better.

Whatever method you decide to go with, do NOT reward yourself with food.. because a cheat day can easily turn into a cheat week. If you have a weakness for chocolate cake, then buy a slice and eat it. No big deal.

If possible, make your diet full of foods that dont come with a label. Buy frozen fruits and vegetables as opposed to canned, and grill the meat you plan to eat.

I know its easier said than done, but just do it one day at a time. Put away all the money you will save by avoiding takeaway.... and buy yourself a new outfit when you need some motivation to keep going.

mantishugo

If you find hard to cook healthy food then there are still many options which are available. Healthy ready made food items such as fruits, juices, packed vegetables, honey, etc are sold at not so expensive prices in the market. You barely have to do some cooking on those products. They are delicious and healthy like anything.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Moderate exercise and a 1800 calorie-a-day diet worked wonders for me when I was about to turn thirty. Over the course of 4 months I lost 70 pounds and actually kept the weight off for a couple of years (until I moved back home and got super re-depressed).

What I did was walk 2 miles at a local park every other day and just stick to my 1,800 calorie rule. I didn't restrict any types of food, so if I was really craving something like a candy bar or a soft drink I'd have it, but understood that it would whack a nice chunk off my calorie allowance for the day. After a few nights going to bed hungry because I'd splurged on a drink or a handful of cookies, I got the message, ha ha.

Now I'm about to turn 40 in October and I'm right back in the same boat. I'll be damned if I'm going to get old AND be fat, so I'm about to undertake the whole procedure again.

Different things work for different people, but moderate exercise and a sensible diet tend to get the best results. I've lost tons of weight on different diets, but for the long-haul it's best to take it off at a reasonable clip and adopt a moderate exercise routine.