Depressed because you're single?

HeadFace

Does anyone ever get depressed just thinking about how you're single? Or just start getting in a sad mood just for thinking of your ex? Or who they're with?
To be honest, I do. A lot. I know I should be patient. And people have told me I don't need a girlfriend to be happy. But it makes me sad, thinking about how much I feel like I've just been used and thrown around, by the people I've dated.
Especially my last one... Ewghh.

Rose_Red

It doesn't make me depressed, I don't mind being single.
It's obviously not my time to start dating yet, so I can be patient.

Sometimes thinking about it, does make me a little upset.
But it's not all that bad.

No, I'm not depressed with not being in a relationship. If I had one I'm convinced I would put that person through a lot with my own complications. The matters of my life and mental health would need to be rendered well before I could consider a relationship. Sometimes I think of my ex's and get kind of sad yet I remain happy for them. They're happy and unbothered.

Sinar_Matahari

Being in a relationship is not always the best thing. Companionship is nice to have. I won't deny that. Still, I'd rather be single than in a ****ty relationship. Not saying that all relationships are going to be bad, but there are bad days in all relationships. How can a person cope with those if they can't even cope with bad days when they're single? It's unlikely that a person can be in a healthy relationship if they don't have their own head straight. My advice is to stop thinking about your exes, stop thinking about how sad you are for not having a girlfriend, stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop making yourself out to be a victim. If you were in relationships where you were taken advantage of or mistreated, be happy that you are no longer in that situation. Instead, think about the positive lessons you can extract from those experiences. There must be something positive you've learned. You can't change the past, look to make the best of the present so you can grow for your future.

AGR

Well the other day I read that there are more men in the world than women,so someone has to pay the price unfortunetly some of us who cant aproach girls or anyone,it will take a very special girl to like me:)

Aron

I can get very depressed just by thinking about how I haven't been and will never be able to experience love. Sometimes I think "oh well, I don't need that", but that's just a lie. Happiness is only real when shared. Sure, a relationship is not all happiness and joy, there are bad times. But to not even experience it once, that just makes me sad, really sad.

Felgen

Single life is overrated. It's only "cool" to be single if you're one of the 5% men who get 80% of all the single women.

WeirdyMcGee

I wouldn't say I was depressed because I was single-- but depressed because I was completely heartbroken.

After almost 2 years, I feel like I'm okay with being without him, though. I read somewhere that it's supposed to take half the time you were in a relationship to get over the person.
For me, it was 8 years together... and I do believe it will take me at least 4 to feel like I can move on without him.
It's been half that time and I'm only just now beginning to feel like I don't want to die.

I'm okay with being single, though. I don't feel like I have to have a boyfriend all the time just for the sake of having one--- like some girls/guys seem to think.
Although my relationship status will never be 'single' on facebook... or I'd face a barrage of facebook dating emails in my inbox. :mad: and that is annoying as hell!

I used to be depressed about thinking of my ex, I couldn't think of anything else, I was so in love.
she broke up without telling any reason why, I found out that she was cheating on me.
But now I have a relationship, a serious one. She respects me, I respect her and we can talk for real,
but I totally have reached a time that I've been pretty much depressed about being single, because of missing my ex.

sullyS25

I used to get depressed about that but not so much anymore. I have realized that i need to deal with my own issues before pursuing someone else. I also have come to realize that a girlfriend does not equal my salvation and the end of all my problems especially if i am unstable psychologically. I will have the same problems plus more that come along with the complexities of a relationship

Phoenixx

I also get depressed because I'm single. I've never been with anyone, ever. And it hurts just to think that I'll be 18 in a month and never even had a boyfriend for that matter. Sure, I know there's more to life than having a partner, and I don't always dwell on the fact that I'm single. But really, I would at least like to experience being in a relationship for once.

Felgen

I also get depressed because I'm single. I've never been with anyone, ever. And it hurts just to think that I'll be 18 in a month and never even had a boyfriend for that matter. Sure, I know there's more to life than having a partner, and I don't always dwell on the fact that I'm single. But really, I would at least like to experience being in a relationship for once.

If you've only lived for 17 years, then you've got 70 or more years ahead of you. :)

Seb

I'm less depressed of my singledom and more depressed over the fact that I have no common ground with many people in general, and relationships are an extension to that.

Most of the time, people just simply aren't interested in what I'm interested in.

silent k

I've been in one relationship that lasted 2 years. she was everything to me. it ended very quickly and i didn't understand, although i did my best not to show the pain, and make things appear to be ok. when she let me know it was over i felt so much pain and fear building up inside me that i went strait into shock denial, and started running inside. of coarse u cant run from the truth, so here i am 3 years later with very little hope that i will ever feel happy again in a relationship or alone. i feel like i'm lost in translation, and so far behind. i feel like i know what i need to do, but the answer involves more pain than i believe i can survive through. there has been suicides in my family, and although i have never truly been suicidal, i just don't think i was born strong enuf to go though all of this alone, and i have such a hard time believing what people say that i don't think i will ever be able to let someone in enuf to help me. i'm trapped here forcing myself to suffer. on top of that, i feel very guilty. i honestly feel like i would rather die alone than go on believing my own lies day by day, or anyone else's for that matter. but until then, i suppose i should try and find a new way to get through this.

Noop

better to be depressed when you're alone then more depressed if some rubbish girl decides to just boogie out on you for no logical reason. it happens all to often, no one cares for each other after a bit of time together. no one really belongs to anyone anyways, keep to yourself and forget the people.

A friend

The last few months since I joined this forum, my opinions on love have been changed to something much darker and less positive.

Love was initially designed to be a motivational stimulate intended for reproductive purposes, but now, I think it's transformed itself into a weapon used to destroy humanity.

I've just looked at all of the people getting hurt by this, my friends, people in my family, and this kind of stuff even pops up in the news.

So what is love? Just an evil illusion that plagues people of all ages. And the worst part? Most of the single people don't even have a choice on whether or not they want to have love or not.

We deserve to choose for ourselves, and we deserve to be able to stop wanting love, and to get rid of being depressed because we're single.

I don't know how it is with most people here, but in my opinion, I decided to give up the dating game because its too stressful, it's too depressing, and there wasn't one girl out there who wanted to be with me.

So its very apparent that if you didn't get to have love in the past, then its not up to you at all. We can't control other people, and if you didn't get one lover in the past, and you're in your mid 20's, then you'll never find love.

But you know what? Who cares?! If you constantly get rejected, then you probably deserve better than most people here on Earth. And if you're going to be single forever, then that probably means that there is nobody here in the universe that's good enough or deserving of you.

That's the way I see it, if you're depressed from being single, and you can't find one person that wants to be with you, then being in a relationship can't solve anything because they're not going to do one good thing for you.

Unless you want to be a parent, don't go ahead and find love. Believe me, you're just adding some stupid insignificant job (that doesn't pay any money) to your life.

Somebody said giving up is for losers? No, no, not at all. Giving up at something like this is for sane people who aren't stupid!

I'm not stupid, and I doubt anyone else here is stupid. Kiwong was lucky enough to be able to destroy his need for love (if it existed, that is), so if he can do it, why can't we?

I'm 20, I'm alive, I didn't have one girlfriend, one kiss, one date, or anything like that, and I am still alive, and still breathing. I can still walk, talk, type, think, write, create, read, and live.

All of you who posted in this thread will survive being single. You know what the real disease that needs to be cured is?

Wanting love, because that will kill you and eat you alive. It made me depressed, and it made me almost want to commit suicide when I realized that being single forever is something determined before your parents are even born.

What does that mean? It's not up to you, me, or anyone.

It's obvious that there are more important, and more significant things in life. I wanted to have love because I couldn't control the need. It operated on its own, I didn't even put any thought into it. But I'm over it now, and I don't care anymore.

There's more to life than love, and love is just an evil illusion that doesn't help anyone or anything anymore.

It's not what is was intended to be, all it is now is just rejection, and that's all its ever going to be in the future.

So you know what? Give up on love, throw that concept away, and find something better to do. It's not worth the energy, money, effort, or any of that!

I'm fine the way I am now with my life, I don't need a soul-mate, I'll never have one, and I don't care.

I hope everyone here gets off of this stupid little dating game, and gets on the road to a happier, more fufilling life. Just because you're somebody who's going to be a single virgin forever doesn't mean you're a loser with no life, it means you got a brain in your head and you're lucky.

Don't throw away being single, don't throw away you're virginity. It's obvious that you people deserve better than searching endlessly for somebody who will instantly reject you or will practically dump you in the trash can.

Don't be depressed because you're single. It's pointless, just like the useless scrap pile called the "dating world".

coyote

i like women

i like spending time with them

so I do it as much as possible

sometimes good things happen

sometimes bad things happen

but then, sometimes good things happen

it's pretty simple really

it only becomes complicated and scary when you overthink it

Last edited:

Lostinthemusic

Don't throw away being single, don't throw away you're virginity. It's obvious that you people deserve better than searching endlessly for somebody who will instantly reject you or will practically dump you in the trash can.

I completely agree with this part, and others, but I don't believe that love is pointless by any means. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to respond to everything, but is there a reason you suddenly switched thinking? You mentioned "no longer" is why I ask.

As for the post, not all of my depression is from being single and rejections, but certainly a portion of it is.