Day dreaming

takethislife

Do you fantasize about stuff? How often do you do it?
I do it a lot. I have this whole alternate reality in my head, which is basically what could happen or what could have happened in real life. I've made a whole storyline and created a number or characters.

Is it unhealthy to live in your imagination?
I take every chance to go for a long walk where I fantasize. A lot of the times when I should be doing something else i catch myself fantasizing. I'm thinking I might be spending too much time in my head. I tried to stop it but I can't it just happens. I guess it's a coping mechanism for me.
How about you?

Silatuyok

I daydream a lot. Usually, I get all excited about something, some idea I'm cooking up, and I have these visions of how great it will be, or how much people will love it, or how successful I will be doing such and such a thing....but then it's almost always a huge let down when things don't go the way I had imagined. But, I think it's worth it to continue letting myself get enthusiastic about things; it keeps life interesting.

this_portrait

I like fantasizing about things, too. Most of the time it's about stuff that will never happen. Nowadays, though, I prefer to not daydream too much, because then once I come back down to reality, it hurts too much. I prefer to actually make those dreams come true, if that's possible. I figure, you only live once; might as well take opportunities when they're presented to me.

The way I see it is some people are bookworms and read books all the time to escape into another world.
I just create my own books in my mind.:)

Maybe I should write them down one day and get them published! lol ::p:

DeadmanWalking

The way I see it is some people are bookworms and read books all the time to escape into another world.

Are you me:)?

Usually, the reason I daydream is because the outside world has become boring or when I feel disconnected from the situation at hand. (Un)fortunately, this is a common occurence in my life.

MaliceInWickedland

Daydreaming has become a daily routine for me. I usually go into these random trances for like 10 or 15 minutes. It's my only true escape from this reality and into my own, and I don't think it's unhealthy at all to live in your own imagination. Imagination is the only source of creativity in this world. Without it, people would go insane from living in such a lackluster world. Just imagine a gray world where everything and everyone looks the same. That's what I think the world would look like if imagination never existed.

MaliceInWickedland

Oh most definitely! Most of the ideas I've gotten for the novel I'm currently working on were actually derived from this alternate reality in my head and it's turning out really good! Not to toot my horn or anything. But seriously, I think my story would make Lewis Carroll proud :D

And thus I say go for it! Who knows. You might even discover that you have a gift in writing. You won't know unless you try, right?

Sora

Daydreaming has become a daily routine for me. I usually go into these random trances for like 10 or 15 minutes. It's my only true escape from this reality and into my own, and I don't think it's unhealthy at all to live in your own imagination. Imagination is the only source of creativity in this world. Without it, people would go insane from living in such a lackluster world. Just imagine a gray world where everything and everyone looks the same. That's what I think the world would look like if imagination never existed.

Agreed!
I day dream constantly sometimes people have to yell my name if I am with a group of people as I will be off in my own little world, or I will only get half the convo or someone will notice I am looking like I am somewhere else and ask me something and I will be like "what? huh I was miles away!"

If day dreaming is bad then I am well and truely screwed lol, because I am not changing my ways it's what keeps me going, I am a creative and if I can't be creative I will wither away! I am not cut out for the usual gatherings in society lol, to me that gray world doesn't need to be imagined, that gray world is the world in which most people live, it's already out there! People always say I am boring but I am NEVER bored and I don't believe it exists or don't see how someone can be bored. Funnily enough all the people who have said this to me are the ones sat saying "I'm bored" haha. They live in that gray world you speak of. I live in my own world in my head and it's the best place ever :)

So if day dreaming is bad then I shall be bad :p

JuicyFruit

I day dream constantly. It is a effective way for me to escape the real, cruel world. My other reality. I have made up a storyline too, with character and all. When i get back to day dreaming i simply resume where i last quit.

^Yep, its same for me. I daydream quite a lot. My daydreams are way to elaborate and complex, but I think its a normal trait for people who aren't getting the best out of their life. Like my daydreams are always about having friends and being confident hmmm...

Fighter86

Oh god, I do this more than I do actual work. Lately, I have been fantasizing about a colleague so much, with such big ideas in my head that I actually got visibly upset when the fantasies didn't materialize. I spend more time on him than work, though his obviously busy and doesn't quite give two hoots about me, lol.

lostinadream

Its a trap. It got me through many tough years and it felt great but then I finally woke up and I had nothing. I am now actively fighting it and its hard but if you want to get through this thing, you must do it and learn to live in reality and extract the good from the here and now. Our idealistic, controlled fantasies are a coping mechanism that does not prepare us for real life, it actually makes it harder and more unbearable. Its ok to daydream a little here and there but you have to make sure its constructive. Use that highly developed imagination to paint or write a story and maybe join a creative writing group or take a class. Use it to heal yourself and reclaim your real life.

mikebird

Banned
I have a really special scenario in my head, which has been there for years. I have a strong creative ability which has only writing with words - nothing else. The idea has another aspect, which might intertwine the two together quite subtly. No fantasy - real world - people, and this planet, involving me, and others, and it would make a perfect movie.

It's the absolute opposite of what I'd be able to achieve.

I doze off to sleep with all that right in my mind, and wake up just like that, as well.

No point mentioning. Far tooo complex.

Nala

Definitely. Lately I've often been daydreaming about being obscenely rich (I'd never have to worry about money, even if I spent vast amounts of it) and an influental person. I'd love to give money to charity - homeless people, catastrophe areas in the world, Africa, animals shelters, etc.
I'd like to make the world a slightly better place. During Christmas there are people collecting money to the poor people in this country, and it'd be one of my goals to ensure that as many homeless/poor people as possible have a roof over their head, and can live a happy life. I'd build houses/apartments for them, and give them to them for free. I'd take care of all living costs, and make sure they get back on their feet financially. It'd be ideal if I could offer them jobs somewhere as well.

I'd speak out against bullying, and try to be a good person, without appearing big-headed.

And I'd love to buy myself a nice house and a car, but most of all I'd give my family everything they need.

Sora

Definitely. Lately I've often been daydreaming about being obscenely rich (I'd never have to worry about money, even if I spent vast amounts of it) and an influental person. I'd love to give money to charity - homeless people, catastrophe areas in the world, Africa, animals shelters, etc.
I'd like to make the world a slightly better place. During Christmas there are people collecting money to the poor people in this country, and it'd be one of my goals to ensure that as many homeless/poor people as possible have a roof over their head, and can live a happy life. I'd build houses/apartments for them, and give them to them for free. I'd take care of all living costs, and make sure they get back on their feet financially. It'd be ideal if I could offer them jobs somewhere as well.

I'd speak out against bullying, and try to be a good person, without appearing big-headed.

And I'd love to buy myself a nice house and a car, but most of all I'd give my family everything they need.

Aww! that is so nice, I often say things like this to my friends and family. I'd love to be able to wipe all my sisters debts and buy them a house and generally help people who need it and also get my own house. Maybe one day!

This is why I like daydreaming I do not think it is bad, it sets us some goals no matter how big they may be so long as we try to reach them it's all good.

nicole1

Yes. And about that reading books to get into another world, that's me! I love reading for that reason. As well as writing.

MotherWolff

Banned
Motherwolff daydreams about so many things. Whether its about MotherWolff being a rock star, the phoenix, other magical creatures, MotherWolff having a boyfirend(MotherWolff has never had a boyfriend before)....they are things that will never ever happen. Even so, like Malice The Wicked said, if it weren't for imagination we would all go insane. MotherWolff wishes that at least some of MotherWolff's daydreams could become reality someday. Daydreams are a great way to runaway from life's harsh reality. We could all be wonderful novelists.

WeirdyMcGee

I am constantly floating in a dream. (or maybe a nightmare?)

As a child, it was okay- people found my dreamy attitude charming.
As a teen, people thought I was a weirdo and told me to grow up, when really- I was far more grown up than any of them.

I grew up fast. A 30 year old in a 6 year old's body; raising my baby brother while mom worked 2 fulltime jobs to pay the bills by herself.
I started working as soon as I was old enough, to pay bills-- never wore new clothing, never went on a vacation, never had shiny new toys.
Worked 3 jobs all through highschool and ended up giving the money I'd saved for college to mom after our van was stolen- because we needed transportation to get to work. I don't expect her to ever pay me back.

So, yeah-- I can pretend, I can have an imagination, I can daydream and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my ***.
::p:
Dream on, children~ work hard and dream.