Completely nonexpressive face?

Social_Monstrosity

Does anybody else struggle to facially express their emotions? My face is so stiff and neutral all the time, I think it creeps people out...

hippiechild

yes, I have had similar experiences... either that or I end up looking like some arrogant, aloof jerkface.

I can usually conjure up enough bizarre mental imagery to tease my mouth into a smile, though... which helps, kinda, maybe.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I don't much anymore, but I used to. As late as high school I didn't express much with my face and I wasn't even aware of how blank and wooden I appeared. With much effort and practice I have improved on this substantially.

Social_Monstrosity

yes, I have had similar experiences... either that or I end up looking like some arrogant, aloof jerkface.

I can usually conjure up enough bizarre mental imagery to tease my mouth into a smile, though... which helps, kinda, maybe.

I cannot for the life of me conjure up a genuine looking smile. Lol

eso

Yes this is a HUGE problem for me. My face, when I feel neutral, is stuck in a way that seems to be slightly pissed. People always think I'm angry.

From what I understand, your face can in fact start to stick in a certain way the more you feel a certain emotion. So if you're sad for a lot of your youth and teen years, in adulthood your normal 'neutral' face will seem to evoke sadness even if you aren't because your face has been like that a lot. I heard this from a special facial expressions expert who studies social psychology who's been studying faces and expressions for about 11 years now. I asked her after her presentation if there's a way to fix it and she said not really, you just have to be aware of it all the time.

Isola

Yeah, a lot of people tell me my face seems expressionless, or that I look really serious.

I think I give of vibes that I don't want people to approach me.

Oh well...

Phoenixx

Yeah, a lot of people tell me my face seems expressionless, or that I look really serious.
^ I always get this. And because people ask me about my "seriousness" I get all self-conscious about it. Facially expressing my emotions has always been an incredible struggle for me. I hate it.

Social_Monstrosity

Yes this is a HUGE problem for me. My face, when I feel neutral, is stuck in a way that seems to be slightly pissed. People always think I'm angry.

From what I understand, your face can in fact start to stick in a certain way the more you feel a certain emotion. So if you're sad for a lot of your youth and teen years, in adulthood your normal 'neutral' face will seem to evoke sadness even if you aren't because your face has been like that a lot. I heard this from a special facial expressions expert who studies social psychology who's been studying faces and expressions for about 11 years now. I asked her after her presentation if there's a way to fix it and she said not really, you just have to be aware of it all the time.

This is so true. Even in 6th grade I remember a girl saying to me, "Why are you always depressed?"

NOW I'm 20 and I get why she asked...

Isola

^ I always get this. And because people ask me about my "seriousness" I get all self-conscious about it. Facially expressing my emotions has always been an incredible struggle for me. I hate it.

Yeah, I also get pretty self-conscious when people ask me about it, it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
I mean, I can't really help it that I have a neutral face.
I try to express my emotions, but it's hard.

I hate it too ::(:

da_illest101

from as far as i can remember people told me that, lately i have been working on it, i practice alone to smile when i greet someone and stuff. I always force smile before entering a class room or my job, not to look like that :D but to not have stiff emotionless face when people see me. It's hard but i'm getting the hang of it

hoddesdon

Yes, this is a classic symptom. Lack of the neuro-transmitters dopamine and serotonin give you a susceptibility to social phobia, and dopamine controls facial expressions. If you do not have enough, it is difficult to be expressive.

If you look at profile albums, and the "post your pictures" thread, many people have the same lack of expressiveness, so that they all look quite similar. On the "famous people with social phobia" thread (not the exact name), someone pointed out that Harrison Ford was expressionless in a photo.

Negative emotions towards someone are expressed through a lack of expression. If you are offended, you stare with a blank expression. If you think someone is saying something stupid, you look at them with a fixed, blank expression. If someone is speaking to you in a language you do not understand you have a blank expression. So fixed and\or blank expressions are associated with negativity\hostility - the other person has no way of knowing that something else is causing it, and that is not what is intended.

I don't much anymore, but I used to. As late as high school I didn't express much with my face and I wasn't even aware of how blank and wooden I appeared. With much effort and practice I have improved on this substantially.

Same. Although I am still difficult, these days, to understand. I have been allowing things to happen.

Curious, practice? How so?

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Let's put it this way, in high school, the teacher that saw me most created a nickname for me, "stoneface." I'm more of a guy that only shows expressions when I'm very comfortable with the people around me which isn't very often. I've had close friends tell me I am always smiling, then I've had other close friends tell me my facial expression never changes. It's mostly the stoneface for me, though. Most of the time I don't even like smiling. One of my counselors said my face never changes and that scared her.

I don't think I'm psychotic, but I find it odd that I get really happy when bad guys hurt the good people in movies. The biggest I smile is when a serial killer murders people in a movie. Or when the bad guy insults someone in a movie, I laugh really loud.

Last edited:

Brightinfinity

People always ask me if I'm okay because my neutral expression is so sad/angry.
Although I'm very easily amused so I'm usually smiling (so my neutral expression is quite a shock). I dunno, I guess I just hang around a lot of humorous people.

GhoulsNightOut

yeah and then i overcompensate and look like i am trying too hard.

Same here! But it's also with trying to talk and not have a depressed tone but I just come off sounding fake, which turns off people even more and gives them more to talk trash about me.