College...im quitting

Zooman

Well today might be the last day i go to college. I've give community college many tries but i swear to god i can't stand it. I hate the required curriculum and how ****ing boring and stupid my classes are and i hate the debilitating anxiety i get everytime i go on the stupid campus. I just got home from my english class early today because i got kicked out of the class...I can't ****ing believe it tbh. My teacher is a nice guy but he is so nerdy. He was literally talking about a silly story that he wrote for like 30 minutes straight. I have a tendency to laugh when i'm anxious, plus this guy was actually really unintentionally funny. I was sitting in the back of the class though and i didn't make any noise or anything, but he was looking at me the entire time. Anyways after he finally stopped talking he pulled me out of class in front of EVERYONE and started talking to me. He thought i disrespected him and said everyone was looking at me. **** sakes... I apologized and left. Obviously i wasn't meaning to disrespect the dude, a lot of my behavior in class is due to my anxiety, but he also was pretty freaking funny even though he wasn't trying to be. Anyways, i realized i get a lot of attention even though i don't try to in public. I think it has to do with my height...and the fact that i don't look half bad... idk... anyways i hate being in the spotlight and in college i always seems like i'm on a ****ing stage waiting to perform for people. The only reason i even forced myself to go to college is because i don't want to be a loser, but i guess what i want doesn't really matter. Welp...i'm pretty sure i'm going to be dropping my classes. I learn a hell of a lot more about stuff i actually find interesting online by myself at home. I just hate how my life is atm. I really hope this decision doesn't ****ing push me over the edge, i've already been pretty suicidal for a long time. It's just so ******* stressful not having a life and knowing that ur only opportunity at having a life is to do something u don't want to do.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Well today might be the last day i go to college. I've give community college many tries but i swear to god i can't stand it. I hate the required curriculum and how ****ing boring and stupid my classes are and i hate the debilitating anxiety i get everytime i go on the stupid campus. I just got home from my english class early today because i got kicked out of the class...I can't ****ing believe it tbh. My teacher is a nice guy but he is so nerdy. He was literally talking about a silly story that he wrote for like 30 minutes straight. I have a tendency to laugh when i'm anxious, plus this guy was actually really unintentionally funny. I was sitting in the back of the class though and i didn't make any noise or anything, but he was looking at me the entire time. Anyways after he finally stopped talking he pulled me out of class in front of EVERYONE and started talking to me. He thought i disrespected him and said everyone was looking at me. **** sakes... I apologized and left. Obviously i wasn't meaning to disrespect the dude, a lot of my behavior in class is due to my anxiety, but he also was pretty freaking funny even though he wasn't trying to be. Anyways, i realized i get a lot of attention even though i don't try to in public. I think it has to do with my height...and the fact that i don't look half bad... idk... anyways i hate being in the spotlight and in college i always seems like i'm on a ****ing stage waiting to perform for people. The only reason i even forced myself to go to college is because i don't want to be a loser, but i guess what i want doesn't really matter. Welp...i'm pretty sure i'm going to be dropping my classes. I learn a hell of a lot more about stuff i actually find interesting online by myself at home. I just hate how my life is atm. I really hope this decision doesn't ****ing push me over the edge, i've already been pretty suicidal for a long time. It's just so ******* stressful not having a life and knowing that ur only opportunity at having a life is to do something u don't want to do.

I dropped outta high school for the very same reason.
Sorry yer life isn't going great right now.

Zooman

I dropped outta high school for the very same reason.
Sorry yer life isn't going great right now.

I know i wulda dropped out of highschool if my parents hadn't threatened me to go everyday. Honestly having a highschool education doesn't mean shit btw. Everyone has a bachelor's degree these days and if you don't then you are pretty much ****ed. So what does it matter if you give up early? I'd never make it in life even if i did get a bachelor's degree somehow, because that type of life is for normal people and i don't happen to be one of them.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I understand the way you are thinking right now because I'm not made for a "normal" life either, but unless you have very special skills, having a college or bachelor degree can be a very efficient way to later get enough money and/or credibility to build the life that you want outside of the system. It sounds like a long way and it is, but I think any quick and easy way that you might find will turn out to be illusive.

I had some trouble in college too (I've been kicked out of class as well) and I found that explaining myself by writing usually worked, especially if you make sure that the quality of your writing is excellent.

Zooman

I understand the way you are thinking right now because I'm not made for a "normal" life either, but unless you have very special skills, having a college or bachelor degree can be a very efficient way to later get enough money and/or credibility to build the life that you want outside of the system. It sounds like a long way and it is, but I think any quick and easy way that you might find will turn out to be illusive.

I had some trouble in college too (I've been kicked out of class as well) and I found that explaining myself by writing usually worked, especially if you make sure that the quality of your writing is excellent.

Yep i already know all the pros and cons of going to college, it's not like im an idiot. I just can't do this bs tbh.. The system makes it impossible for people like me to make it.

There are lots of ways to make good money without a college degree. Welding, plumbing, electrical work, that sort of stuff. If you think all the classes are boring, college might not be for you anyway. The conventional wisdom that you need to put in a certain number of years at college to "go somewhere" in life (whatever that means) isn't really true. It's even less true now than it was half a century ago when that idea began to take hold in the public consciousness. I know plenty of college graduates whose degrees haven't done a thing for them (but maybe put them in debt). And just as many people without degrees who are doing fine financially.

DanielLewis

I wouldn't drop out without an alternative plan set in place. Otherwise, you don't even know for sure if you have a better option you're willing to take. I also wouldn't drop out because of other people. You should only drop out because it's what you want for your future, not because of how people treat you or how you feel in the presence of others there. If it makes it any better, try a few online classes though I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to fight your SA, you should put yourself in the in-person classes.

I understand that the classes can be boring and I dislike how we're forced to take certain classes we don't like too. However, I've learned now to just love learning about anything more than I used to. When I first started community college, I was sort of like you. I got terrible grades, even 4 failing grades in one semester, because I felt so lonely and anxious and I didn't like all the subjects. Now, I've changed the way I look at it. As long as I'm learning anything, I'm exercising my mind and learning about something new. It's not so bad. Also, I go because I don't want to avoid my problems and I don't have any other good plan right now to succeed financially. I tried a tool & die training program before college and that didn't work out. I think I would've hated it though. Even now, I don't know if what I'm going to college for is going to be what I really want to do in life. I'm going for computer information systems - programming. Unless I actually try doing the job, it's hard to know if you'll enjoy it. I only chose it because it should offer plenty of job opportunities and money. If I make a lot of money doing it, and I don't like it, I can use that money to start a little side-project/venture.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I have nightmares sometimes of being back at university, having not passed some of the units I didn't enjoy. I didn't have anxiety back then.

squidgee

I know i wulda dropped out of highschool if my parents hadn't threatened me to go everyday. Honestly having a highschool education doesn't mean shit btw. Everyone has a bachelor's degree these days and if you don't then you are pretty much ****ed. So what does it matter if you give up early? I'd never make it in life even if i did get a bachelor's degree somehow, because that type of life is for normal people and i don't happen to be one of them.

To be fair (and somewhat pessimistic), job prospects for uni graduates are continually getting worse as well. You're not necessarily at a disadvantage if you don't get a bachelor degree, as long as the jobs you're looking for don't need it. Work experience trumps all in the end. I'd have to be very lucky to get an entry level job in my field when I graduate.

I don't have kids, but if I did I would be thrilled if they wanted to take up a trade like plumbing or masonry. Any trade, really. Those jobs will never be offshored. Where I live, college grads can't find work, but tradesman always have food on the table for their families. And you have more of a chance to work actually doing stuff on your own instead of spending all day behind a desk. I wouldn't leave college until I had some kind of plan. It's easy to quit and then not find your momentum again. Your professor sounds like a dork. Don't screw yourself because of the likes of someone you will never have to deal with again once the course is over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Megaten

Like a few others have said, I wouldnt drop out just because a teacher put you on the spot if thats what you're saying. Find a way to tell the dude about your issue so it doesnt become a problem again in the future.

nicole1

I went through school and wasted a lot of money because I kept trying but messed up sometimes. I would quit going to school. I did well in some of my classes, especially when I was at community college. I did best in smaller classes. My biggest regret is not being honest and not getting help sooner. I experienced panic attacks in class and I

I told some of my professors about my anxiety. Go tell your professor the reason for that. Also see if your school has accommodations. I got them and wound up doing better in the classes I took except one but the teacher didn't comply. That could help your case. If it's debilitating, then it's hindering your learning and you do qualify for this form of help. It doesn't make you weaker but it gives you a better chance at getting a degree if that's what you truly want.

You can also look into online learning.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't go to college at all. It's a waste of money and the education system is broken in a lot of ways. I think having this disorder made me see this. I learn better on my own or in smaller settings. It's stressful for people without anxiety so you know how bad it is for people like us. Accommodations can help.

Plus English professors usually suck. I had one just like him.

Zooman

I don't have kids, but if I did I would be thrilled if they wanted to take up a trade like plumbing or masonry. Any trade, really. Those jobs will never be offshored. Where I live, college grads can't find work, but tradesman always have food on the table for their families. And you have more of a chance to work actually doing stuff on your own instead of spending all day behind a desk. I wouldn't leave college until I had some kind of plan. It's easy to quit and then not find your momentum again. Your professor sounds like a dork. Don't screw yourself because of the likes of someone you will never have to deal with again once the course is over.

lol bro you described him perfectly. He is such a dork! He was going on and on earlier about how much he loves grammar and caligraphy. In my head i was just wondering when the hell he is going to stop talking. It was almost comical because right when you think he is going to stop he just picks it back up and starts talking again. He literally doesn't know when to shutup tbh. His class it literally a required course too, he should already know the majority of his students aren't going to give a shit about a required college english class. He doesn't get it though.

Last edited:

fate12321

I also wanted to quit college too. I was in a community college trying to get my core classes out of the way and, gosh! It was a huge pain. It literally made me want to quit for good. It was boring, I didn't even learn about my career, and it was just unnecessary in my opinion. My grades even dropped because i was starting to lose interest. Anyways, i managed to complete a good portion of my core and I transferred to a University. I'm now taking classes related to my major and I'm so pumped! Like, I'm actually excited about going to school and learning.

Maybe that's what's going on with you?

lol bro you described him perfectly. He is such a dork! He was going on and on earlier about how much he loves grammar and caligraphy. In my head i was just wondering when the hell he is going to stop talking. It was almost comical because right when you think he is going to stop he just picks it back up and starts talking again. He literally doesn't know when to shutup tbh. His class it literally a required course too, he should already know the majority of his students aren't going to give a shit about a required college english class. He doesn't get it though.
Lol, now you're making me laugh. I can just imagine sitting in class listening to him droning on and on about calligraphy. I laugh when I'm nervous too. I get laughing fits at funerals if something strikes me funny, and something always does. So I try not to go to funerals if I can get out of it.

Well i withdrew from all my classes. I'm getting a job as a night janitor.
Well, making some money isn't a bad idea. I went to college straight from HS, and I had no idea what I wanted to do yet. I had no idea what was even out there to make a living at.
I wish I had waited til I had more life experience.