Can't take this much longer...

Englishman

I'm seriously losing my mind over this condition. I've had palmer/plantar hyperhidrosis since I was about 9 (19 now) and it's physically and mentally exhausting me to the point where I don't even want to live no more.

Howcome their is literally NO medical explanation for why we perspire so much? Surely at this day in age there should be at least some form of process but I really don't see any and it really does tear me apart!

I'm honestly considering killing myself in order to spread awareness and push for a cure because I don't think I can live my life much longer, I don't know what I've done to deserve this.

Sprawling

Killing yourself is not the answer. This group can guide you through the different treatment options. As for wanting to kill yourself I suggest you seek medical and or professional counseling.

Sorry if I sound cold, but this group is not about helping in that area.

As for having HH, I've had to deal with it for about 50 years. It's tough at times, but then again so is life.

Good luck... please consider getting some help.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I agree with the above post. Get help. Find a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you cope with your situation.

aries86

I feel your pain. This is an extremely mentally and physically exhasting disorder. Day in and day out can be hard. I also wonder why there is no explanation as of yet. As advanced as we are in science and technology it seems almost impossible that nobody can say what causes this. But, please don't hurt yourself. It is not the answer. I've felt suicidal about my HH before several times. I just try to hope that one day, there will be a cure or at least meds that fix the problems without any burdening side effects. Hang in there:)

laure15

I don't have plantar HH, but I do have facial and back HH. Summer is particularly dreadful. I cannot go out without bringing a jacket with me, otherwise I sweat and people notice which can be embarassing. I think some forum members mentioned trying iontophoresis. You might want to look into that.

_Aquamarine

I have palmer and plantar HH too and I'm 16. I know how you feel and it's so hard especially being in highschool. I go to a Catholic school and people hold hands and shake hands often and it just makes me wanna hide everyday but you have to understand that you're not alone! and people care about you. My mom has the same condition and she's had it for over 35 years but she got over it, she's happily married with 4 kids. Your future is brighter than you think.

_Aquamarine

@ aries86 Yes my sister (15) has palmer HH but not as bad as mine and my brothers are 4 & 8 so it's too early to tell although my 8 year old brother's hands do get a little sweaty sometimes.

HHDisturbed

Englishman, I understand how frustrated you might feel. HH causes extreme anxiety and wears on you emotionally. I am not trying to downplay your feelings in any way but I would like you to think about a few things. Watch the nightly world news and you will see that although HH is distressing it is relatively minor in contrast to living in a daily war zone, starving in a third-world country, being raped and beaten daily, being oppressed and fearing for your life or suffering with a terminal illness like aids or cancer. I know this does not make you feel any better about your situation but if you think of these things it puts excessive sweating in perspective. Whenever my HH gets me down I think of these things and how truly fortunate I am.

I have had excessive sweating in the face and head since my teens. I am now 45 and it is worse than ever. Yet, I never let it stop me from having a successful career, a wonderful marriage and family, great friends and a lifetime of happiness.

My point is that YES, HH sucks...but you should never let it define you. There are treatments that can help minimize your HH. As time goes on you will learn to manage your HH and avoid the triggers and situations that cause embarrassing episodes. But ending your life solves nothing nor will it magically unlock the cause of HH to the medical community. You would only rob yourself of a lifetime of happiness that only YOU have the power to control.

Hang in there Englisman, stay positive and never give up hope. Life is already too short so don't focus on your sweating. Instead you should focus on being the best person you can be and living your life to the fullest.

lonelee1

I'm seriously losing my mind over this condition. I've had palmer/plantar hyperhidrosis since I was about 9 (19 now) and it's physically and mentally exhausting me to the point where I don't even want to live no more.

Howcome their is literally NO medical explanation for why we perspire so much? Surely at this day in age there should be at least some form of process but I really don't see any and it really does tear me apart!

I'm honestly considering killing myself in order to spread awareness and push for a cure because I don't think I can live my life much longer, I don't know what I've done to deserve this.

i'm very sorry you're feeling this way. i don't have the condition, but i know what is to feel hopeless. luckily, you're not alone on this forum.

i know you're angry that there aren't many solutions. i feel your pain because i know we all try really hard in life and sometimes it doesn't seem fair. you've done nothing to deserve this, i'm sure you know that. you're not flawed or anything else. we have to accept that life isn't perfect. feel the feelings about it and let them go.

considering suicide is very serious. don't do it. talk to a family member as soon as you can, maybe make an appointment with a counselor. there are ways to cope. life is very much worth living if you find a way to deal with this issue. you're young and have time to figure out ways to make your quality of life better and have fun.

feel better and stay safe, tomorrow will be better.

Last edited:

ukchick

I agree with so many things said in previous posts.I have had a happy marriage and 2 lovely kids,Hh does affect my daily life and now of my daughter but we keep going and going to find something that helps...don't give up you will find something that makes life even just a bit easier.You can go on to do amazing things by staying positive..
Good luck x

Amherst

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Both the Miradry company and researchers working on an ultrasound device to reduce excessive sweating are apparently interested in applying these technologies originally intended for the axillary regions to hands and feet. They are not there yet but hopefully in five years or so, we'll see some clinical tests for similar devices for the sweat glands in the hands and feet. And of course, it'll take a fair amount of time to perfect the devices and minimize side-effects.

CharlesN

Being 19 perhaps funds are tight, I recommend trying the do it yourself iontophoresis. I'm 42 and suffered since I was very young. Within the past half year I discovered it and I have now got the opposite problem. My hands are perpetually dry. I need lotion and can't hardly shoot a basketball anymore as even physical exertion will not cause even the slightest but of dampness. But I'm also incredibly happy. I did the inital 10 treatments then a few weeks of twice a week. Now I do 1 session a week (40 minutes per polarity) with 0.05% glyco and it lasts to the next treatment as dry as ever. I still think about it and smile when the opportunity to shake hands or hold hands or whatever comes up. As a bonus my feet sweat a lot less now too and I've never done a single treatment on them.

Killing yourself over this as people have said is definitely not the answer man. Many of us have been there and done that in terms of dealing with this disability. Even without any cure or respite we have jobs, families, kids and lives to be proud of. Don't give up. If the feelings persist definitely seek some counselling.

I followed the youtube video for the set up with 4 lantern batteries (6V) and if I can do it - anyone can. Easy to find and easy to follow the directions and get the components from your local hardware store. The glyco tablets I got from Pharmacy.ca - was simple and needed no prescription. Avert is the brand name.

Good luck!

jay77

yeah, i know exactly how you feel..im 20 years old and it is impossible to have a good college experience with hyperhidrosis. I have tried just about everything but nothing has really worked. I have not been able to go on dates or do normal things because of the condition. I am feeling extremely hopeless like you.

0707129r

Being 19 perhaps funds are tight, I recommend trying the do it yourself iontophoresis. I'm 42 and suffered since I was very young. Within the past half year I discovered it and I have now got the opposite problem. My hands are perpetually dry. I need lotion and can't hardly shoot a basketball anymore as even physical exertion will not cause even the slightest but of dampness. But I'm also incredibly happy. I did the inital 10 treatments then a few weeks of twice a week. Now I do 1 session a week (40 minutes per polarity) with 0.05% glyco and it lasts to the next treatment as dry as ever. I still think about it and smile when the opportunity to shake hands or hold hands or whatever comes up. As a bonus my feet sweat a lot less now too and I've never done a single treatment on them.

Killing yourself over this as people have said is definitely not the answer man. Many of us have been there and done that in terms of dealing with this disability. Even without any cure or respite we have jobs, families, kids and lives to be proud of. Don't give up. If the feelings persist definitely seek some counselling.

I followed the youtube video for the set up with 4 lantern batteries (6V) and if I can do it - anyone can. Easy to find and easy to follow the directions and get the components from your local hardware store. The glyco tablets I got from Pharmacy.ca - was simple and needed no prescription. Avert is the brand name.

Good luck!

How is it you make the 0.05% solution using tablets? Also do you reuse the solution several times?

CharlesN

How is it you make the 0.05% solution using tablets? Also do you reuse the solution several times?

I got the 2 mg tablets - actually capsules would be a much better description - they come in a 2-part capsule that pulls apart and is a very fine powder inside. I mix 3 of them with a litre of water per tray. I stir it up. I'm not sure it's exactly 0.05%

I did re-use the first time but then I got a little grossed out by the gunk that collects in the water/solution so now I do a fresh batch each time.

I can't even say for sure it is the glyco or not. I've never tried the ionto without it as after about 5 treatments without - I got antsy and got the glyco and added it. Then it started working so I haven't stopped. Psychological thing I guess and the money is not a big deal to me considering what I'm getting for it...

Charles

CharlesN

yeah, i know exactly how you feel..im 20 years old and it is impossible to have a good college experience with hyperhidrosis. I have tried just about everything but nothing has really worked. I have not been able to go on dates or do normal things because of the condition. I am feeling extremely hopeless like you.

I had an extremely eye-opening experience this past weekend. I was working at a trade-show - something I've hated forever becuz of HH. Now with super dry hands, I looked forward to shaking hands and what I found - much to my surprise - was that a lot of people had at least mildly sweaty or downright clammy hands. I never once noticed that before being too focused on myself. Made me wonder if I had allowed myself to blow it up in to epic proportions when in reality it was not that big a deal. I never once thought back and remembered who had clammy hands or gave it even a second thought - other than the self-realization that maybe all this time I was worried, others were not even cognizant of it. Just something that really made me think.

If you feel hopeless maybe seek some counselling. It sucks without a doubt, but definitely not something to lose hope over. Find the right *Guy* edit (sorry Jay) and HH will not be a limiting factor.

Last edited:

ukchick

I had an extremely eye-opening experience this past weekend. I was working at a trade-show - something I've hated forever becuz of HH. Now with super dry hands, I looked forward to shaking hands and what I found - much to my surprise - was that a lot of people had at least mildly sweaty or downright clammy hands. I never once noticed that before being too focused on myself. Made me wonder if I had allowed myself to blow it up in to epic proportions when in reality it was not that big a deal. I never once thought back and remembered who had clammy hands or gave it even a second thought - other than the self-realization that maybe all this time I was worried, others were not even cognizant of it. Just something that really made me think.

If you feel hopeless maybe seek some counselling. It sucks without a doubt, but definitely not something to lose hope over. Find the right *Guy* edit (sorry Jay) and HH will not be a limiting factor.
I completely agree. I work in retail and I notice co workers can open plastic bags easily whereas I have to create moistureby licking my fingers to open the bags. Therefore ,realising that alot of people have mildly sweaty hands.Also when I administor change to customers, I notice the same thing....

VainCape

Your post gives me the encouragement to restart my ionto treatment. Im going to try and achieve the same level of dryness that you have experienced. :)

0707129r

I got the 2 mg tablets - actually capsules would be a much better description - they come in a 2-part capsule that pulls apart and is a very fine powder inside. I mix 3 of them with a litre of water per tray. I stir it up. I'm not sure it's exactly 0.05%

I did re-use the first time but then I got a little grossed out by the gunk that collects in the water/solution so now I do a fresh batch each time.

I can't even say for sure it is the glyco or not. I've never tried the ionto without it as after about 5 treatments without - I got antsy and got the glyco and added it. Then it started working so I haven't stopped. Psychological thing I guess and the money is not a big deal to me considering what I'm getting for it...

Charles

Unless you're getting a dry mouth during/after treatment, then its likely nothing to do with the glyco.