Bullying Can be a Good Thing!

ACM

I know bullying is perceived to be a bad thing, and it is.

However, as an 18 year-old I've learnt that bullying is something to learn from. I was bullied through high school between the ages of 11-15, but I'm now very happy I was bullied. I've learnt an awful lot about dealing with bullies by MYSELF. I never ever told anyone that I was being bullied. The bullying included name calling and physical violence. If anything, all the bullying I got through school has helped me succeed as a person now. I'm no longer scared of people in any shape or form, my mental strength has increased a lot in the last 4 years. I thank the bullies a lot for that. I've learnt how to draw inspiration from negative comments. I get on with my own thing, I'm proud of who I am, and no one will stop me now.

But yeah, the public advice would be to tell someone about it first, but I disagree. Deal with bullying by going to the gym, releasing those endorphins, telling yourself you're bigger and better than any of those bullies, and look at the negative sides of those bullies, that will make you feel better.

desperatehousewife

Unfortunately I do not agree with you, you are bullied and saying "It is a good thing.".No it is not, it is illegal and you will always remember that scene...Perhaps you wanted to get a revenge from them and because of this you are successfull person but is it always necessary to be bullied to be a successfull person?
If you will be bullied again, do not behave like this...Do something, you can talk to your school manager or your boss...

that1guy

Personally, ive never really been bullied but I do receive tons of disrespect and foul manner. Its like they thought I couldnt do shit about it or something. Because of this, I am the most motivated person in the world. I use their shit as motivation to become better in every aspect of life. Now that im confident I just have that "bring your shit" attitude. Im a much more mature person now because of my peer's disrespect towards me.

kyle

Banned
EatMyShit said:
I'd always recommend violence against bullies. One day, after years of being picked on, just grab the scum by the ear and repeating smash his head into the nearest brick wall until his skull splits. That will always be the way to do things in life. Sure you may spend a long time in jail and everything but at the end of the day that piece of shit is on the ground in a lot of pain nearing death, who is the winner? I don't think it's always the answer, and every situation is different, but this is what every bully in the world deserves. Either that or to be beaten to death by a gang of ruthless thugs on a cold night.

you have a point there, eatmy...

IceNerveshatter

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I'm still fucked up from half the bullshit that used to happen to me in High school. It made me hate people and hate society and it made me weaker on so many levels.

I can't believe someone would try to defend such bullshit. If you like being picked on that's your prerogative, but don't try to make such a stupid absurd statement.

ACM said:

However, as an 18 year-old I've learnt that bullying is something to learn from. I was bullied through high school between the ages of 11-15, but I'm now very happy I was bullied. I've learnt an awful lot about dealing with bullies by MYSELF. I never ever told anyone that I was being bullied. The bullying included name calling and physical violence. If anything, all the bullying I got through school has helped me succeed as a person now. I'm no longer scared of people in any shape or form, my mental strength has increased a lot in the last 4 years. I thank the bullies a lot for that. I've learnt how to draw inspiration from negative comments. I get on with my own thing, I'm proud of who I am, and no one will stop me now.

But yeah, the public advice would be to tell someone about it first, but I disagree. Deal with bullying by going to the gym, releasing those endorphins, telling yourself you're bigger and better than any of those bullies, and look at the negative sides of those bullies, that will make you feel better.

joeljjison

I think your all being a bit to ACM.

"I know bullying is perceived to be a bad thing, and it is."

All he ever claimed is that HE got something good out of being bullied.

I can think of good things too... though there less purely good. I've become more observant, and much better at reading peoples character, i've acquired a very morbid sense of humour. I've also become a kinder person, just because i know how much stuff can effect you.

On the other hand, i hate the fact that i was born, i have no faith in myself, and i think everyone is out to hurt me.

Really, i don't think i can give a straight answer to whether i'd preferred what i learnt from being bullied, than what i would have retained if i hadn't been.

I am who i am now... and i was bullied. Our experiences shape us. I have no doubt i wouldn't be very interesting if i hadn't been. Whether that is good or not is something i expect will play out over the longterm if i live that long!

IceNerveshatter

to say "bullying can be a good thing" is an absurd statement. It is never a good thing for anyone in any circumstance. People like to make outlandish statements just to get attention. Personally shit like that really pisses me off. If you enjoy being picked on that's your problem--don't ever try to justify or encourage behaviour like this because that is what you are doing.

Lemans

It can be good if you have masochistic streaks, otherwise is not good at all. I think you say is good in order to try to clean psychological effects, so you don't hate society and don't try to do something stupid. Read about the Stockholm Syndrome, in which a hostage shows sympathy for the kidnappers. In my opinion bullies are given a lot of liberties in this society, much of them should be in jail.

Carol

ACM, that's great that you are seeing the good things that came out of a bad experience! You're right that sometimes it is the bad experiences that make us better people. I hate to see anybody being bullied, but if it's going to happen, you might as well learn from it, make the best of it and use it to your advantage. Why let the bullies have the last laugh?

girl

I'm sorry but I will have to agree with IceNerveshatter. Truth is that bullying ruins most people's lives. At the age of 10 or 11 or even 15 people are still at least a bit vulnerable to both oral and physical abuse. Especially girls. You can't expect from a girl (like me) to hear she's ugly and a loser and to not feel bad.
Being bullied by 4 guys for three whole years made me hate men. Not people like IceNerveshatter did, but men. I don't trust them, I think bad of most of them, I think they don't deserve my love by default. That's bullying got me. And I'm sure every man who reads this will understand.
Bullying doesn't help. It's crap no one should ever go through.

siren_0_0

ACM said:

That's great to look at being bullied in the past in a positive light but you shouldn't be thanking the bullies under any circumstance (unless you're a masochist) They didn't do anything to help you heal. You did that by yourself. The bullies slashed you up and got away with it, without facing any consequences whatsoever for their bad deeds. Never forget that.

Fairy001

To have a bully, there has to be a victim. Lots pf people like their victim status. When you are at school, if you are unlucky and are bullied, most people have no, or few choices then. However, as an adult it is your responsibility as to whether it motivates you, or you hold on tight to be one of lifes eternal victims.

Bullying is despeciable, adult victims lack the ability to take responsibility for their emotions and pasts. As an adult to blame a now unhappy life on childhood bullying is puting yourself in a place where you draw away responsibility for your own path in life.

I was bullied at school and at home. I am where I am in life because of me, not anyone else. What I experienced was life as it is, some parts made me stronger, others broke my soul, but that is my responsibility. I would not give the people that brought me to a point that I cut myself as a twelve year old any power over me.

Peace.

H

Hmm...

Unfortunately I do not agree with you, you are bullied and saying "It is a good thing.".No it is not, it is illegal and you will always remember that scene...Perhaps you wanted to get a revenge from them and because of this you are successfull person but is it always necessary to be bullied to be a successfull person?
If you will be bullied again, do not behave like this...Do something, you can talk to your school manager or your boss...

It is a good thing, bullying to an extreme yes it quite detrimental. However, high school is typically viewed as getting you ready for the real world, when you are bullied throughout high school isn't that just a set up for the problems in the real world? After school is over and you have been protected from bullying your entire life, what happens when you encounter a similar problem out there in the real world. No one to help you and no one to run to. When you protect someone from every form of bullying when some of it is really just ridiculous to even call bullying you are making them weaker and taking away from the experiance they are supposed to have in life. Bullying is not illegal Harassment is and harassment is a different topic entirely.

206Raider

I was never bullied or bullied anybody I was in the "popular" group. I've never been even really challenged becuase people get along with me but when somebody does mess with me I always fight back and it surprises them becuase I'm kinda small but it works, if you show that you aren't scared people won't try to take advantage of you. My problem is that my friends think they can do whatever sometimes becuase I'm loyal.

lyricalliaisons

I don't agree. The torture I experienced from "bullies" as a kid is part of the reason I'm so afraid of being around people today, I'm sure.

IMO, people can and do survive all sorts of abuse and other horrible things, and often come out of it better and stronger, but that doesn't make those acts "good" or "okay." Everything that happens to us shapes us in some way, good or bad.

shore_of_glass

Its about making the most out of something that we went through, not about thanking those ****tards for ruining our highschool years.

Last edited: