Birthday today. Going out. I'm terrified!

redtear

Today is my birthday. I let it drop at work a few days ago, because, well honestly, I was hoping for a birthday cake! I didn't expect anyone to do anything more than that. And I really love birthday cake!
But, someone I've been working closely with actually invited me out with him and his wife. I know he considers us to be friends. But this feels weird to me as I'm not used to having a) friends b)friends of the opposite sex. And then yesterday other people at work asked me what I was doing for my bday, in front of him. And I freaked out. I had no clue how to answer. One part of my mind whispered "sshh don't say anything about going out with him because he surely doesn't want anyone to know you hang out outside of work. Why would he, you're a mess!" Another part of my mind said "if you don't say anything he's gonna think YOU don't want people to know you hang out outside of work and he's gonna feel like crap" and yet another part of my mind said "people are gonna think you're involved. be careful here". We're not involved btw. All of this within a span of about 3 seconds!!! Arg!!! I finally spit out some awkward statement that summed up my plans and did mention him. But I know it was terribly awkward sounding and made people, including him, go "hmmm, what's going on?"

Well that's been bothering me since yesterday. But, now, I'm about to start getting ready to go out and I am really scared. I manage ok at work because there's always work stuff to talk about. But I don't know how I'm going to handle a conversation without that there to dominate it. And his wife, who I have not met before, will be there. And I don't do well around new people. And, again, I have worries that she will think we are involved. Again, we are not! But he's always so nice and so friendly, that sometimes I think he's throwing signals my way. But he's that way with everyone. But it still feels weird. And I'm scared of the dynamic it will make when his wife is there too. Although I'm sure she's already noted it with other people in their lives. Like I said, he's that way with everyone.
Anyways, I just needed to vent. I'm terrified. But I will get through it. Somehow. Hopefully without coming off as a complete weirdo.

rosewood

First of all, Happy Birthday!!!

I know you are scared, but you have someone to celebrate with!! Maybe he has already clued in to the fact you are a Quiet Person. And if he has, i can guarantee you he has already mentioned you to his wife. You could very well have a pleasant time once you meet her. I am happy for you. I know you are nervous, but there could be elements here that will be nice for you. i will be thinking good thoughts for you :)

are there certain calming techniques you can do before you go out? i try to do belly breathing, guided meditation, and yoga. these are all on you tube, for just a few minutes-
if you start to panic, sipping water will calm the vagus nerve in your stomach. at least it worked for me instantly last time i had one. :)

JuiceB

024.gif

Silatuyok

Happy Birthday! Try not to overthink the situation. Just go out and enjoy the company. If you're cool and casual about it, no one will think there is any weird involvement going on.

jaim38

Happy b-day! I don't tell people my b-day unless it's close friends and family. Otherwise people feel the pressure to do something for me.

Srijita52

First of all, Happy Birthday!!!

I know you are scared, but you have someone to celebrate with!! Maybe he has already clued in to the fact you are a Quiet Person. And if he has, i can guarantee you he has already mentioned you to his wife. You could very well have a pleasant time once you meet her. I am happy for you. I know you are nervous, but there could be elements here that will be nice for you. i will be thinking good thoughts for you :)

are there certain calming techniques you can do before you go out? i try to do belly breathing, guided meditation, and yoga. these are all on you tube, for just a few minutes-
if you start to panic, sipping water will calm the vagus nerve in your stomach. at least it worked for me instantly last time i had one. :)

I agree with it. I'm sure you'll be fine, try to distract yourself if you find yourself thinking too much about it good luck and oh happy birthday. :)

ImNotMyIllness

Happy Birthday! Work relations can be awkward at times when it goes outside the office...especially, with the opposite sex.

I'm sure you'll do just fine. I like that he's inviting his wife, I would think of him as a creep if he didn't.

Just be your self. You think your nervous, I bet his wife is very nervous too! So, relax and enjoy your special day!

Lamb

But he's always so nice and so friendly, that sometimes I think he's throwing signals my way. But he's that way with everyone. But it still feels weird. And I'm scared of the dynamic it will make when his wife is there too. Although I'm sure she's already noted it with other people in their lives. Like I said, he's that way with everyone.

I got out of bed to respond to this because it stirred some memories. Try not to reason too much with your feelings; ie: "he's just a friendly person" "he's this way with everyone". You had a gut reaction which is telling you there's something more behind his actions towards you. Usually that instinctive warning is accurate. If I were in this situation, my paranoia would kick in. And I've been in similar work place situations before, which is why I'm mentioning it. Just keep a heightened awareness around him, don't feel pressured to continue hanging out if he insist, and all questions should answer themselves in due time.

I hope you had a good time, and happy birthday. Let us know how it went, as I'm hoping his wife did show up. lol

redtear

Thanks everybody, for the support, the birthday wishes and the yummy cake photos!

Lamb, it actually went okay. The wife did come along. I met them at their place and he actually made himself busy for the first half an hour or so. Kinda forcing us to talk and get to know each other. Turns out she is super nice. And she was kinda nervous too at first, it was easy to tell, and that really made me like her!

The dynamic ended up being okay. He actually is quite prone to mood swings and when he's upbeat is when he is super friendly and I get the vibes off of him. When he's more irritable and depressed, the vibes are not there, instead he's, well, irritable and depressed. Yesterday he was more neutral and that was quite nice.

So now, for the nights awkward moments! There actually weren't too many of them. There was the typical nervousness when new people meet but that was okay. One kinda weird thing is that the plans for the night started out with just dinner, which is fine, typical, normal. But then, a few days ago he suggested a movie as well. So we ended up doing a movie and dinner. And it went well. It didn't feel overly weird. But it sounds sooo freaking weird. It's so typical date night material! Somehow though, it didn't end up feeling weird, so that's good.

The only really awkward moment was at the end of the night. We were saying goodbye and the wife suggested we hang out some. She said something about calling her. I had managed to keep control of my SA the entire night, be mostly outgoing and not do anything too majorly weird and by this point I was feeling really exhausted and not completely in the moment and really just wanting to get away so I could hyperventilate for a few good minutes! So of course I agreed that we should hang out in the future and I thanked them for the night an then I got out of there. It wasn't until later that I realized I never got her number and realized how much of an ass that makes me come off as! I figure I'll just ask her husband at work tomorrow but I know that made me come off badly.

And I don't know if I will ever actually call her. I'm not good at building or sustaining relationships. I'm really bad at it actually. I mean, what do people do as they are building a friendship? Once a friendship is cemented then you can do all the typical things that I wish I had friends to do with. But in the interim, what the heck do you do? I know I should put forth an effort. I mean, I really liked her, I can see us being really good friends! I just don't know how to get there.

Last edited:

string3r

Thanks everybody, for the support, the birthday wishes and the yummy cake photos!

Lamb, it actually went okay. The wife did come along. I met them at their place and he actually made himself busy for the first half an hour or so. Kinda forcing us to talk and get to know each other. Turns out she is super nice. And she was kinda nervous too at first, it was easy to tell, and that really made me like her!

The dynamic ended up being okay. He actually is quite prone to mood swings and when he's upbeat is when he is super friendly and I get the vibes off of him. When he's more irritable and depressed, the vibes are not there, instead he's, well, irritable and depressed. Yesterday he was more neutral and that was quite nice.

So now, for the nights awkward moments! There actually weren't too many of them. There was the typical nervousness when new people meet but that was okay. One kinda weird thing is that the plans for the night started out with just dinner, which is fine, typical, normal. But then, a few days ago he suggested a movie as well. So we ended up doing a movie and dinner. And it went well. It didn't feel overly weird. But it sounds sooo freaking weird. It's so typical date night material! Somehow though, it didn't end up feeling weird, so that's good.

The only really awkward moment was at the end of the night. We were saying goodbye and the wife suggested we hang out some. She said something about calling her. I had managed to keep control of my SA the entire night, be mostly outgoing and not do anything too majorly weird and by this point I was feeling really exhausted and not completely in the moment and really just wanting to get away so I could hyperventilate for a few good minutes! So of course I agreed that we should hang out in the future and I thanked them for the night an then I got out of there. It wasn't until later that I realized I never got her number and realized how much of an ass that makes me come off as! I figure I'll just ask her husband at work tomorrow but I know that made me come off badly.

And I don't know if I will ever actually call her. I'm not good at building or sustaining relationships. I'm really bad at it actually. I mean, what do people do as they are building a friendship? Once a friendship is cemented then you can do all the typical things that I wish I had friends to do with. But in the interim, what the heck do you do? I know I should put forth an effort. I mean, I really liked her, I can see us being really good friends! I just don't know how to get there.

A common mistake, don't worry about not getting her number. You can just joke about it in a lighthearted way whenever you speak to her next, she won't mind at all I'm sure :)

Lamb

Glad it went well. I think it's worth a shot regardless of whether you may struggle with sustaining relations. Perhaps you can start off texting with her or just chatting on the phone weekly. Get to know her better, no big commitments and just go along with the flow. :)

razzle dazzle rose

I mean, I really liked her, I can see us being really good friends! I just don't know how to get there.

It seems like she could use a friend! Your coworker probably saw that happening. It is so hard to meet people and make friends. Asking him for her contact info is not a bad idea at all. Just start by sending a friendly text? Or maybe give him your number so he can give it to her. Happy belated birthday!! :)

rosewood

Happiness! :) Wonderful.

I am very glad for you!! Dont worry, just get the number later, it will be fine.