Birthday Present for a girl

Section_31

I havnt met a girl who hasnt met a chocolate she never liked ;)

but yea, what is your relationship to her?.

Iluv

It really depends. If it's for a girl you like for valentines day or a date I say yes go for it. But if she's just a friend and doesn't know you like her it might turn awkward real fast. So before you go buy anything like that find out where you two stand if you don't already know.

twiggle

It really depends. If it's for a girl you like for valentines day or a date I say yes go for it. But if she's just a friend and doesn't know you like her it might turn awkward real fast. So before you go buy anything like that find out where you two stand if you don't already know.

I agree with this.

I think because chocolates are often regarded as a 'romantic' present you want to be sure that you're not giving off any wrong vibes.

Though for some reason, I think you could get away with giving her a piece of chocolate rather than a box of them. I often buy my friends one of those slabs of chocolate with the writing on it saying 'happy birthday' or something... for some reason that doesn't seem as romantic as a box of them. If she likes chocolate it may be worth a shot.

Rembrandt Broam

Is it bad to get a nice box of chocolates for a girl?

I have already bought her a sketchbook and will write a nice note in there but i want to get her something else.

I know she likes chocolate so i was thinking why not get a nice box but now with my anxiety I'm really overthinking this. ::p:

What does a box of chocolates say?

To me, they always say "Eat me! Eat me now!!!". ::p:

Given as a gift to a girl though, there is definitely a romantic association. If that's the message you want to send then go for it, but if not I'd say stick to something a little more neutral. (The sketchbook sounds a great idea, BTW. It shows you've actually thought about a gift that she'll appreciate.)

WeirdyMcGee

Depending on the 'type' of chocolate and whether she likes chocolate or not; it could be a very nice gesture.

I cannot eat chocolate, (don't like and it hurts my teeth and head) but I'm thankful to receive anything.

Receiving a box of chocolates is a common gift in my family.
A 'heart shaped' box of chocolates seems romantic since it's like... the obvious choice for a valentine's gift and would probably say; "I like you."
Basically any other chocolate seems like fair play, though and less of a 'I have a crush on you!' and more 'I stopped by a grocery store to get you some chocolate before I came here. Enjoy!'

Something that could be very nice and could be kept more in saying; 'I like you- let's be friends (or more?)' could be a gift from a local chocolatier or even a single serving cake or 'designer' cupcake from a bakery.
That's my suggestion, anyways-- I just like things that are cute, so I'd go decorated cupcake or fruit topped single serving cake all the way!
They make them very fancy these days and very affordable if you stop by a grocery store with a bakery.
(also... cakes seem more birthday-ey)

aw1993

All girls like chocolate:)

but if you want I guess you could add something small along with it, but a card with a nice message goes along way

Waybuloo

Most girls like chocolates, and this applies to Westernised ones, cause we have a chocolate-loving culture. I get chocolates for people's birthdays, including friends, coworkers, family. And I receive them in return. Giving chocolates to a girl in no way suggest any romantic intentions. Chocolates are neutral. My boss got a box of chocolates for me when I was leaving, does it mean he fancies me? Yeah right.

I've never heard that chocolates have romantic intentions. It's such a common present from different people for all types of relationships. Maybe this is an American thing.

Last edited:

Kinetik

Fair enough, sorry I deleted my post back there. I thought it seemed a bit too unsolicited. Good luck to you on whatever you decide. :)

Waybuloo

Ok but really, this is what I want to write in her sketchbook.

To _____ : the beautiful girl with the eclectic music taste.
I wish you all the best on your 21st birthday!
You're one of the most genuine people I've ever met and I'm really going to miss you when you leave.
I hope we stay in touch and our paths cross again in the future.
Keep on drawing!
Love ____

In this context, you saying she is beautiful doesn't seem too forward or anything. It sounds like a genuine, heartfelt message and I received a similar one before I left my home country, from a good female friend. I was pleasantly surprised, and let me tell you, when you compliment her like that, she will be really happy. Girls like to be flattered, but in a genuine manner which you have used.