Binge eating

Raichel

I was wondering if anyone else here has developed eating disorders / unhealthy eating patterns as a result of SA?

Usually when I feel anxious, sad or disappointed, sometimes even when I'm happy, I eat excessive amounts of food. I'm not even hungry, I just eat because it's a way of comfort. These 'episodes of uncontrollable eating' usually occur at a minimum of 3 times a week. The next day I try to make up for it by eating very little.

Afterwards, I feel extremely guilty and disgusted by myself. I mean, on one side of the planet people are dying of poverty and struggling to put food on the table. And here am I, in our rich western world, overeating like there's no tomorrow.

I've been trying to break this bad habit for nearly three years. Sometimes I seem to make some progress and I eat normal for a period of two months. But then suddenly I snap back into my old behaviour. Makes me think those two months are a waste of time.

How do you guys cope with feelings of anxiety, bad days, negative thoughts etc.? Hope it's a healthier way than mine lol.

surewhynot

I cope with my sadness with music. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have at least that. When I'm feeling down, I'll just listen to some depressive songs, and, ironically, it will make me feel better.

gustavofring

I have the binge eating as well occasionally.

For me it's more an energy thing. I have some form of daytime fatigue/depression that makes me crave for eating and drinking lots. Sometimes after eating, I just crash because of my bloodsugar level.

Etbow23

I haven't done it as much in recent years but I have put on a significant amount of weight since becoming depressed/anxious and ultimately socially anxious. I used to purposely eat like a lot of food to cope, but now I more or less see food sometimes as being a comfort when I'm not feeling so well. My weight, though not obese (just a little overweight at this point i guess) is a defense. I feel safer with it. Lately I've been craving food because I'm really stressed lately and I've been feeling depressed. I feel like eating is a time when I'm comfortable and far away from my worries. I don't know.

mikebird

Banned
Yep!

Something mysterious about your thread - immaculate timing

Just in the last week, I've noticed a severe lack of appetite or motivation to gather any supplies.

Been living OK the same way for 11 years. No company. Nobody to speak to. Nobody to feed. 90% of those years: workless.

I can't understand why my capability, desire, passion and my experience & skills in the area required by any position I apply for is not enough. Well, I don't burst with sunshine. Who has a gauge to measure that? Ahh. Their telephone

Been out of hospital since Feb and able to keep good order in my home, waiting for a job. The one and only prime factor is: TIME. One day, a week, then a month, on & on... nothing. I am trying to explain my thoughts.

It's driving to the supermarket that gets me out of the door, as with going to interviews. I do wonder what happens and when, if a person stops eating.

I had a week eating nothing but a loaf of bread. I've been fine for 11 years on nutrition without help. My weird episode is a rare one - not long term. I'm OK with eating the same food for 11 years. Only a few tweaks to the diet. Working is nice to have lunch breaks. I use the time to be away from people. There are people like that where I go. Told myself forever that I have to make friends at work. Never. Last interview, I was asked: 'who would you choose as your best friend? Him or his colleague Helen?' What question is that?

Life. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. Smile. Laugh. beyond me

My binge is music. Sad notes. I can wallow in misery. It's good to face up to my life. Others' who've died. The mirror & the future

EscapeArtist

Yeah. When I went on a very restricted diet 3 or 4 years ago, I started bingeing really hard. I struggled with massive binges for 1-2 years and gained all the weight back really fast. I was also doing what you are doing, I tried going back to restricting every day afterwards. THAT was the problem in the first place, and that's the only thing that stretched out my bingeing. Restricting is the real problem. When you restrict you make the food seem glamorous just because you put so much focus on it. Then when you do decide to break your unreasonable restriction plan, you go full out, becuase you've built the food up to be so idealized and that on top of your hunger...

If you do not restrict then you'll have wayyyyyyyyy less urge to binge, and when you do binge, you'll be able to stop easily because the food won't bring you so much joy (it's always there and you can eat it anytime... why eat it when it barely brings enjoyment? VS the thinking of "this is the last time i'll ever get to eat ________!" ). Have you heard of intuitive eating? It's basically letting yourself eat whatever you want as long as you are hungry, and focusing on adding activity into your day to lose weight. Basically it is taking the limits off of food. You will find that if you really want something (like to lose weight, or that chocolate bar) you will do it when there is no restrictions, you will do it out of choice for the moment. I want to add more to this, but I'm on my sisters computer, sorry if this was jumbled!

I still overeat and comfort eat, but I'm able to eat a healthy 1200 calories by choice most of the time just by choosing the right kinds of foods th at are still palatable. This is a huge accomplishment seeing there was a time when I would have a binge that would be 4 sandwhiches, 3 bowls of cereal, half a gingerbread house, 2 bars of chocolate, etc . Gosh, those were dreadful hellish times... And it was all becuase of restrictive thinking and that restricted diet. I'm even able to lose a small amount of weight, while still comfort eating now and then... And in relation to anxiety, I restricted originally to lose weight because I was anxious about my body. Then when I started bingeing and gaining weight I dropped out of school because I was so disgusted, that made me more anxious/depressed so more bingeing, etc..Yuck hate that cycle.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Afterwards, I feel extremely guilty and disgusted by myself. I mean, on one side of the planet people are dying of poverty and struggling to put food on the table. And here am I, in our rich western world, overeating like there's no tomorrow.
It's a very, very unbalanced world.

Yes, I have gone through binge eating, and general over eating, for many years. I'm trying to combat it now but it's been a struggle. I hope you're able to overcome it.

Amitush123

Just had one last night...thankfully, there wasn't a whole much to eat, but I ate about 2000 calories more than I needed..I'll probably spend the next few days shaving them off..

Starry

When I was younger I used to comfort eat, but about 4 or 5 years ago I swung around to the opposite... I restricted my food intake dramatically. If I felt really bad I would fast as it made me feel amazing! My maximum fast was 5 days and at the end of it I felt like I was on top of the world, I was literally elated... I felt very "spiritual" with it too. But I could get a similar feeling from just eating as little as possible on the days when I didn't fast. I remember one day, I managed to consume only 250 calories and felt brilliant. Then when I ate 400 the next day I felt depressed...

Of course, the restricted diet meant I ended up developing EDNOS (Eating Disorder not otherwise Specified). I wouldn't eat more than 700 calories a day, it was usually less, around 500... And if I did go over by mistake (Which was VERY rare) I would make myself vomit... I've had to fight incredibly hard this year to bring my calorie intake up to a more normal amount...

Of course, my eating problems are not just to do with Social phobia, they're to do with all my problems and low self-esteem being the main one.

Unfortunately for people with self-esteem issues, food can become such an emotional thing that it can lead to severe problems. I've known more than one person with self-esteem issues who either turns to food for comfort or gains a feeling of power through starving themselves.

Raichel

When I was younger I used to comfort eat, but about 4 or 5 years ago I swung around to the opposite... I restricted my food intake dramatically. If I felt really bad I would fast as it made me feel amazing! My maximum fast was 5 days and at the end of it I felt like I was on top of the world, I was literally elated... I felt very "spiritual" with it too. But I could get a similar feeling from just eating as little as possible on the days when I didn't fast. I remember one day, I managed to consume only 250 calories and felt brilliant. Then when I ate 400 the next day I felt depressed...

Of course, the restricted diet meant I ended up developing EDNOS (Eating Disorder not otherwise Specified). I wouldn't eat more than 700 calories a day, it was usually less, around 500... And if I did go over by mistake (Which was VERY rare) I would make myself vomit... I've had to fight incredibly hard this year to bring my calorie intake up to a more normal amount...

Of course, my eating problems are not just to do with Social phobia, they're to do with all my problems and low self-esteem being the main one.

Unfortunately for people with self-esteem issues, food can become such an emotional thing that it can lead to severe problems. I've known more than one person with self-esteem issues who either turns to food for comfort or gains a feeling of power through starving themselves.

Wow, 500 calories a day... I'm glad to hear you're up to a normal amount, I don't think anybody could go that long by eating so little? You're very strong to have been dealing with eating problems for so long and you came out victorious.

Starry

Wow, 500 calories a day... I'm glad to hear you're up to a normal amount, I don't think anybody could go that long by eating so little? You're very strong to have been dealing with eating problems for so long and you came out victorious.

Thank you. Yes, I not only survived on that, but I didn't even lose weight on it! o_O I must have to have the most efficient metabolism in the world lol.

I still have the thinking that goes along with it... I'll probably never be completely free of it, but I have much improved, so thank you once again.

Richey

yes. all the time, every day in fact. usually its chocolate or soft drinks, and whole blocks of chocolate, not just squares every now and then. i haven't gained weight but i must be very unhealthy. its gotten to the point of sugar addiction. must have sugar in tea, etc. not nice at all. but it is getting beyond serious. i also have alot of people in the family who cook sweet things etc. and so of course i'll eat it. i also have music but because i feel my life is so empty eating is something that sort of stimulates the senses, so a sugar sensation is always great. just like drinking a coffee for instance. funny thing is i'm still skinny, but my insides, i don't even want to know.

but there are two types of eaters, those who don't really feel the need for stimulus through foods and those who really need it. i am just lucky my metabolism is fast.

Last edited:

Raichel

yes. all the time, every day in fact. usually its chocolate or soft drinks, and whole blocks of chocolate, not just squares every now and then. i haven't gained weight but i must be very unhealthy. its gotten to the point of sugar addiction. must have sugar in tea, etc. not nice at all. but it is getting beyond serious. i also have alot of people in the family who cook sweet things etc. and so of course i'll eat it. i also have music but because i feel my life is so empty eating is something that sort of stimulates the senses, so a sugar sensation is always great. just like drinking a coffee for instance. funny thing is i'm still skinny, but my insides, i don't even want to know.

but there are two types of eaters, those who don't really feel the need for stimulus through foods and those who really need it. i am just lucky my metabolism is fast.

I'm the same. I haven't really gained that much weight thanks to a superfast metabolism. In fact, before these weekly plundering-the-fridge-sessions that started few years ago I was very skinny. Now I look a lot healthier, more fat, less bones showing.

Downside is that I've never been in such a bad shape before. Walking the staircase frequently has me gasping for air lol. Mental effects are the worst though: I became addicted to that sugar rush you described. When I can't eat sweets I feel sad. After binging I feel terrible as well. It's a vicious cycle of negative emotions I'm stuck in.

MikeyC

Thank you. Yes, I not only survived on that, but I didn't even lose weight on it! o_O I must have to have the most efficient metabolism in the world lol.
I don't think it's your metabolism. I think it's because you ate so little that your body stores it all. However, you should be commended for making such a good effort to eat more now. Eating disorders are very bad.

whole blocks of chocolate, not just squares every now and then. i haven't gained weight but i must be very unhealthy. its gotten to the point of sugar addiction.
Yeah, this is what it is for me. Can't just eat one square - have to eat the whole block!

I'm getting through that with therapy and a food diary, so I'm improving, but it's an everyday battle.

Xervello

I binge because of my SA. In that, I usually eat out of boredom too much. If I were outside walking, socializing, so on, I'd be preoccupied and not eating as much. I counter the binge-eating by excess exercise, but I'm also an obsessive compulsive, and a peculiar habit I have is 'beginning' over and over again. I say to myself, on Sunday, begin your exercise regimen/healthy diet/etc. And I do. But if I slip on a Monday, Wednesday, whenever, I let myself get lazy until the next Sunday when I attempt the do-over again. If that makes sense.

At any rate, I'm similar to you, I think, bodywise. I'm lucky to have a fast metabolism so I'm not punished by my lapses as bad as certain others are. I know a lot of people would love to sit on their ass all day eating whatever they want, but trust me, if you do it for years and years it can get tiresome and depressing. And as you said, it brings on guilt, as well. Bah, such is life. I wish you luck with it, Raich.

Demarag

Interesting subject.

I have experienced this kind of troubles for two years. It strange, because when I was younger, I really didn't care about food. But I think you're right, it's certainly a way to find comfort.

Good new is, trying to overcome this bad behavior could provides some benefits. Personnally I try now to do more sports (to burn some kcal :D) and especially, I try to find more activities, because this come mosty when I'm inactive.