Awkward Topics Thread

Kiwong

I've always heard the opposite, to be honest, but this is less on what it looks like, and more on the ethics of circumcision.

I always imagined that most men of my age were circumcised. That uncircumcised was uncommon. It's never been something I have worried about a lot, but I think I could've done without the pain as a child.

MikeyC

I always imagined that most men of my age were circumcised. That uncircumcised was uncommon. It's never been something I have worried about a lot, but I think I could've done without the pain as a child.
So you remember the pain?

Steiner

Circumcision Permanently Alters the Brain

"The baby was kept in the machine for several minutes to generate baseline data of the normal metabolic activity in the brain. This was used to compare to the data gathered during and after the surgery. Analysis of the MRI data indicated that the surgery subjected the infant to significant trauma. The greatest changes occurred in the limbic system concentrating in the amygdala and in the frontal and temporal lobes.
A neurologist who saw the results postulated that the data indicated that circumcision affected most intensely the portions of the victim's brain associated with reasoning, perception and emotions. Follow up tests on the infant one day, one week and one month after the surgery indicated that the child's brain never returned to its baseline configuration. In other words, the evidence generated by this research indicated that the brain of the circumcised infant was permanently changed by the surgery."

Yes, it's done for hygienic purposes, but that is ridiculous. Just teach your child to wash properly!

This is almost at the threshold of way-too-weird for me BUT I'm gonna go ahead and bite the proverbial bullet and speak my opinion. I do not agree with circumcision. I am not circumcised (hope I ain't being too bold), and neither of my sons are circumcised. I had to absolutely argue with the doctors when they were born for them to stay the way were when they were born. I have one son who is old enough to bathe himself with supervision and I taught him how to clean himself properly. Before he was old enough to do this and my wife was still bathing him she asked me how to do it and I explained it as thoroughly as I could and I taught her how to do it the right way. With either male or female genetalia, there is a proper way to wash them. I am also against female circumcision. Now when my boys are old enough to make their own decisions and if they wanna go have their skins cut off, well, that's up to them, but I won't have a child cut on unless it's medically necessary. Every parent should teach their kids how to wash themselves properly, circumcised or not, and the ones that do not teach them basic hygiene, are, in my opinion, lazy. Other people have this done to their children on a daily basis and that's their choice, but personally I don't agree with it.

This is almost at the threshold of way-too-weird for me BUT I'm gonna go ahead and bite the proverbial bullet and speak my opinion.

Haha why is it too weird? I know it centers on an area of the body that some people find uncomfortable to talk about with others, but I think it's an important issue. I mean, I don't go around bringing it up to random people. I think that would be weird, to constantly talk about it. But I do think it should be discussed publicly in some form so that we can get rid of the practice. There's been quite a bit of debate over it recently. Lots of people want it banned.

Anyway, again, sorry if this is coming off as strange from me. I don't think it should be. I feel like Americans are a bit prudish, maybe. It's just a body part, people, haha. If it was about having the third finger removed on the hand or something it would be the same thing to me. It just happens to be about... something else, and I can't help the fact that it makes people uncomfortable, but I don't want to come off as a total weirdo for speaking about it.

There are advocates for the elimination of female genital mutilation in certain countries and no one seems to get embarrassed or weirded out by that. I don't really see how this is different, and so I don't know why I feel embarrassed talking about it.

I think I'm just going to have this whole thread deleted O_O

If you're a mod and you see this would you mind deleting the whole thing? Please? Or I'll just send someone a message.

Because brain problems. It's a perfectly good thread, and better than a great many I've seen around here.

Haha, well thanks nate :p

I don't know, I generally don't have a problem discussing things of this nature, but for some reason this particular topic seems to weird people out and that in turn freaks me out.

GraybeardGhost

I don't know, I generally don't have a problem discussing things of this nature, but for some reason this particular topic seems to weird people out and that in turn freaks me out.

If it would make you feel more comfortable, Opal, we could move on to another awkward topic. Which would you prefer . . . constipation or nose picking?

Silatuyok

If it would make you feel more comfortable, Opal, we could move on to another awkward topic. Which would you prefer . . . constipation or nose picking?

I seem to be the resident poop expert (poopspert?), but I do enjoy a good booger mining session. So, I'd be happy with either topic of discussion...

Odo

Banned
I'm under the impression that it really isn't such a big deal.

I'm pretty sure a lot of circumcised guys have healthy, enjoyable sex lives and that their brain damage hasn't held them back in life or had any negative effect on their personality, life or whatever. I haven't personally asked every single happy, fulfilled, successful guy on the planet if they're circumcised, but I would guess that it happens quite a bit.

I have noticed that it has become more of an issue as of late, though. I thought the 'it's barbaric' sentiment was connected to some sort of men's rights/anti-feminist thing but maybe I'm wrong about that... apparently some people are pretty opposed to it.

MikeyC

constipation
I've only been constipated once, and this was in my early teens. It's literally like shitting a brick.

nose picking?
This is probably one of those things that nobody will admit to, but everyone does. If you've got some nose rocks stuck in there, you've got to get them out, right? :)

overhearing your parents doing it?
Thankfully never. However, many years ago we were camping. My brother and I shared a tent, and my parents another tent. One morning we get up and my mum asked us if we could hear them. When we said no, and asked why, she said they were playing "adult games."

Even at our ages, we knew that meant sex. Why the hell would she tell us that?

Haha why is it too weird? I know it centers on an area of the body that some people find uncomfortable to talk about with others, but I think it's an important issue. I mean, I don't go around bringing it up to random people. I think that would be weird, to constantly talk about it. But I do think it should be discussed publicly in some form so that we can get rid of the practice. There's been quite a bit of debate over it recently. Lots of people want it banned.

Anyway, again, sorry if this is coming off as strange from me. I don't think it should be. I feel like Americans are a bit prudish, maybe. It's just a body part, people, haha. If it was about having the third finger removed on the hand or something it would be the same thing to me. It just happens to be about... something else, and I can't help the fact that it makes people uncomfortable, but I don't want to come off as a total weirdo for speaking about it.

There are advocates for the elimination of female genital mutilation in certain countries and no one seems to get embarrassed or weirded out by that. I don't really see how this is different, and so I don't know why I feel embarrassed talking about it.

I didn't mean that you should be embarrassed for talking about it or questioning it. And I don't think you're a weirdo for talking about it. That's not what I meant. It is a viable topic. I was just a bit apprehensive to discuss it simply because I didn't want anybody to get creeped out by what I was about to say and take it the wrong way.

Silatuyok

Thankfully never. However, many years ago we were camping. My brother and I shared a tent, and my parents another tent. One morning we get up and my mum asked us if we could hear them. When we said no, and asked why, she said they were playing "adult games."

Even at our ages, we knew that meant sex. Why the hell would she tell us that?

Ew, that's awkward, lol.
When I was young I went over to play with my friend living next door. She told me that her mom was in the bedroom with her step-dad, getting "her daily spanking." I was far too young to know what that really meant, and I just remember being perplexed that her mother misbehaved so frequently as to need a daily spanking.