Are you ever jealous of other people?

FriendlyShadow

Is there anyone who gets jealous when they're around other people and if so why? Someone also told me "Becareful what you wish for, cause you just might get it all?" Would you agree or disagree?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I don't really get jealous. I have in the past mind you. But these days not really. Let's be clear on the meaning of jealous - psychiatrists generally agree that jealousy is when a relationship is threatened by a third person.
So no. I guess in the right (or wrong?) circumstances I could have the old green eye'd monster rear it's ugly head again..

2nd question; depends on what you wish for ;)

I've always been jealous of wealthy people who were born into a rich family. They have never had to really struggle just to survive.

They would always have known there is a secure job waiting for them in whatever the family business is, after they have finished their paid for "best of the best" education.

The born wealthy will never have to clean their own toilet, never go without something they really need just to ensure there is enough money to pay that months utility bills, never have lay awake late at night worrying about how they are going to make the months rent/student loan repayments, never have to eat cheap 2 minute noodles for several days because they have run out of money for the week - even though they have not spent their money on anything that wasn't necessary for their daily survival.

So yes, I would take anything that is involved with "wishing" to have been born into a wealthy family.

The grass on that side of the fence is a hell of a lot easier......(security, peace of mind, the ultimate calmness that comes with knowing you will always have enough to pay for your shelter/food/bills/clothing etc, the power to have some control over your life in order to be able to fight for your basic human rights).....than any grass I've ever been on.

I believe feeling jealous is a part of human nature.
It is just an aspect of our survival instinct. The humans in history who started portraying jealousy as something "Bad", may have been those few families who used brute force to take more of the available resources than they needed, and then wanted to ensure that the other families were looked down on for feeling jealous of the unfair greed they witnessed. :unsure:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've always been jealous of wealthy people who were born into a rich family. They have never had to really struggle just to survive.

They would always have known there is a secure job waiting for them in whatever the family business is, after they have finished their paid for "best of the best" education.

The born wealthy will never have to clean their own toilet, never go without something they really need just to ensure there is enough money to pay that months utility bills, never have lay awake late at night worrying about how they are going to make the months rent/student loan repayments, never have to eat cheap 2 minute noodles for several days because they have run out of money for the week - even though they have not spent their money on anything that wasn't necessary for their daily survival.

So yes, I would take anything that is involved with "wishing" to have been born into a wealthy family.

The grass on that side of the fence is a hell of a lot easier......(security, peace of mind, the ultimate calmness that comes with knowing you will always have enough to pay for your shelter/food/bills/clothing etc, the power to have some control over your life in order to be able to fight for your basic human rights).....than any grass I've ever been on.

I believe feeling jealous is a part of human nature.
It is just an aspect of our survival instinct. The humans in history who started portraying jealousy as something "Bad", may have been those few families who used brute force to take more of the available resources than they needed, and then wanted to ensure that the other families were looked down on for feeling jealous of the unfair greed they witnessed. :unsure:
Interesting Blue.

You would know of James Packer yes? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, never wanted for anything. Has all the money in the world.
Yet he is truly, deeply sad. Clinically depressed. So it seems even all the money in the world can't fix depression.

I guess if he was poor then BECAME rich he might feel different?..

LoyalXenite

I am similar to you Blue, I've found myself jealous of those with money, especially those born in to it. I know money doesnt guarantee happiness or whatever but as someone who was born into a rather poor life, and with my mental health holding my back so much it doesnt look like I'll ever live a life that isnt always dancing the line between utter poverty and poor but stable enough for now.

I also find myself jealous of people who are happy, mentally and physically healthy. People who are able to get good jobs, especially in their dream careers. People who just seem to have their lives together and have a positive looking future...

Im jealous of anyone that has things I dont (from minor jealousy when friends or family are able to go on holidays, especially when they get to go overseas, to bigger jealousies over the upper crust of society for not having to feel the intense fear of where will I live if this shit falls through, what if I end up homeless again..)

I know we dont see whats going on behind closed doors and a lot of the people Im jealous of may have horrible thing s happening/happened to them, and its not like its a particularly useful feeling coz it doesnt drive me to try harder or anything... Just makes me slightly cynical, bitter and grumpy when I dwell on it :LOL:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
For me, I think in order to be jealous you have to want things, specifically things that other people have. I don't feel I have much of an intense desire for much of anything, making jealousy of other people not much of an issue. You can't be jealous if you don't care! It also make being happy challenging too.

I do agree people should be "careful what the wish for", both in general and perhaps specifically in this situation. When I think of the expression, I usually think of a genie in a lamp that grants a wish but not in a way that makes the wisher happy. Like wishing for a brand new car, and then having the car be a toy car, or the car being taken off dealership lot and then getting arrested and going to jail for grand theft auto. I think that goes for real world, non-genie examples too.

Like if someone did get jealous around other people and wishes they didn't and was then told "careful what you wish for or you might just get it", that person may have an outcome like myself in mind who doesn't get jealous too often, but also doesn't get very emotional about anything which really isn't better.

I think in a way the expression is just saying "careful, things could be worse" which I think is always true. Things could be better as well. That's why caution should be involved, to make sure the change is for the better.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole

I made peace years ago with everything I don't have that others do, because I still managed to make my life interesting and reasonably comfortable from my point of view, but I still have some difficulties with wealthy people who complains. I think I'm jealous of the fact that everything I have built with my own sweat over the years, they could have it with a snap of their fingers.

It's mostly a problem at work because, as I realized, most of my co-workers come from the high-middle-class but I'm from the low-middle-class. I find it difficult not being exasperated when I hear them complain that their childhood was difficult because they were forced to learn piano, walk 25 minutes to go to their soccer lesson or whatever, or that life is unfair because the cost of living got so expensive that they might not be able to retire at 50 as they planned (because if they do, they won't be able to keep buying a new mountain bike every year, and this is of course unacceptable).

See, I'm frustrated just typing this.

Miserum

I like what you did with the color scheme there. :cool:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Jealous...?

Well, I guess the only reason I’ve got is the fact able-bodied folk have things somewhat easier than me, as far as getting about. Also, being physically disabled tends to mean that ah rely upon folk more than ya would normally. Am no saying that tae make any o’ yous feel like $h!%* — just speaking from my life experience.

And in my case, those folk only seem to help when it makes them come across well. Can’t just do what was asking of them simply because the request ended with the word, “please”. But that’s about it, really.

I don’t get jealous of what other folk have got, never have, really.

Mind you, it does piss me off that one of my siblings like to claim “we do eff all for her”. Yet, in the last 2 years, whenever she brings her kids round, they’d rather spend time with me than their mother. But then again, she always on her phone. And I’m the only one they can interact with because I’m so distracted by my laptop that I fail to acknowledge them. I’m also not on Facebook or Instagram, constantly. :mad:

theoutsider

No, but I sometimes find myself accused of being jealous when I react to being treated unfairly. The thing is, I think they know I'm not jealous but accusing me (making me the bad guy) is their way of justifying their actions.

Xervello

I think we all get jealous. Some might not want to admit it or try to rationalize it/describe it as something else. If you've ever had an ex, ever been poor, ever seen someone happy, ever wanted something/someone you can't have, chances are you've been jealous at some point. At the moment I can think of one or two things I'm jealous about.