Are you ashamed...

sam89

Are you ashamed to tell certain people that you have SAD? I mean, actually in
my case I'm ashamed to tell anyone at all. Yes, people notice, but I think most of them have little idea about it. So to literally specify it as a disorder, probably hoping for some appreciation againt being a weird person to them... how about parents?

What did you do when you discovered it?

Sorry I'm kinda new here so I don't know if this topic has been discussed before... ::eek::

Pookah

I sometimes feel the need to give it as a label to some people even if they are too ignorant to understand. At least then it has a name and hopefully they will leave me alone about it. I don't hold my breath though. People are dumb.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've never been in a situation when I would have to, or been close enough I thought it necessary. If the situation arose maybe, but I doubt it. It's a stigma, but it's also an explanation. If they ask why, that's another story.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Definitely too ashamed to talk about it. I even feel ashamed talking about my auto-immune problems and the chemo and all that. Like all these things are my fault somehow. :confused:

IGotSeoul

I won't bring it up unless somebody genuinely cares and asks. If they're not strong enough to approach me, then they aren't really worth the social effort invested. Or thought for that matter.

sanitariumcalls

I get the "So you're scared all the time?" from many people...

I don't mind discussing it in a doctor's office or at DSHS (they need to know, obviously) and my Mom knew something was off when I was little and constantly sat in a back corner reading instead of going outside like "normal" kids. But she doesn't judge me, thank God, and supports me when she knows I need it...

My partner tries not to ask, he knows if I have an episode I can usually handle it, and my few friends are very supportive.

But the general public doesn't understand, and I never expect they will.

No, I wouldn't say I am ashamed.
People often wonder why I'm so quiet and awkward, and if they ask me stupid questions such as 'Why are you so quiet?' or 'Why are you so tense?' I feel that it's often a big relief to tell them...
I'm always anxious and concerned about what people think of me and if they talk about me behind my back, so I feel that if they know I have SA, they will understand me a little more...
Honestly though, I don't go around screaming 'I HAVE SA!'... xD Only a few people know, like some of my friends, some d*ck-heads in my English class, and of course my family.
I find that SA is a disorder that isn't well known; probably because the people with it don't like to speak up about it. I would really like for more people, teenagers in particular, to have a better understanding of SA.

anxiety1408

Yup for sure, I havent told anyone about it, I couldnt bring myself to doing so, then I'd feel like id be getting more/different type of attention from others and thats the last thing i want when im experiencing anxiety!

mercyshy

I'm afraid before that my friends might know that I have SA but now, it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm no longer ashamed about it. My family knew everything about my SA esp my mom. Who cares if they will discover about my SA? They will never understand me too.

Agon

My family knows, and sometimes getting ignorant comments from my mum irks me. And some of my friends know.

I'm not really that scared to talk about it, but I don't go announcing to the world that there's something wrong with me XD But the people in my life are generally understanding, apart from a select few. So I think I'm okay with admitting I have SAD.

Rodney

Telling persons about my problems brought nothing but bad things. I dunnno 4 u.

It's ok to tell a psychologist. It will listen, and some will even (try to) understand.;)

I told one person and told them not to tell anyone especially these two people. What do you think they did? They told one of those two people and then it spread. I keep my feelings to myself now a days. Not worth having everyone thinking I'm an antisocial freak.

EscapeArtist

welcome =]
I'm extremely ashamed of it. It's the hardest thing to tell anybody, other than crying in front of people. My mom knows about it, and most of my friends do also, but only because they (by change) are familiar with social anxiety.

When I discovered it I joined this site lol

Damaged

Erm im definitely ashamed of myself a lot, most ashamed of my agoraphobia and what happened with my ex boyfriend because i let it happen.
I do tell people though, if they want to listen or try to understand i feel like if i tell someone they will know me better and if im with them they will know im bound to have a panic attack or be awkward but telling them does make me feel ashamed and make me feel totally worthless.