Are you an HSP? (Highly Sensitive Person)

What's the score you got?

• Total voters

limetree

24. I was most unsure about:

-I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
-When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
-I am conscientious.

I'm hesitant to label myself hsp though since like shyness, the traits seem pretty relative and it's difficult to measure comparatively the degree of severity.

Nicholas

24. I was most unsure about:

-I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
-When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
-I am conscientious.

I'm hesitant to label myself hsp though since like shyness, the traits seem pretty relative and it's difficult to measure comparatively the degree of severity.

If you are an HSP, first of all, you feel different from "normal people".
It's not that either you are an HSP or you are not. It varies. Sensitivity is a personality trait that depends on how your nervous system is. There are advantages, but also disadvantages.
Anyway, if you scored 24, you are definitely an HSP! Congratulations! LOL :D

Last edited:

Nicholas

I scored an 11 but I don't think any of the things which apply to me are necessarily negative. Great thread!

I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.

Other people's moods affect me.

I have a rich,complex inner life.

I am deeply moved by the arts or music.

I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.

When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).

I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.

Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.

Changes in my life shake me up.

I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.

When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or

Those are actually the most important characteristics, so if those are VERY true of you, you might be considered an HSP, maybe. However, there is one very very important point missing in your list: the need to be alone for some time pretty often.
I think that's a key point for HSPs. Whatever I do, I get stressed out very quickly and easily, and then I need to stay alone for some time, even if it's just for 10 minutes at a time... and I go listen to some music, alone, and I don't want to have anyone around me.

Nicholas

I don't want to be a HSP! I want to be cold and not care about anything.
You sound exactly like a girl I know. She's not really an HSP I guess (I think she got more or less the same score as you), but even though she was pretty sensitive she refused to acknowledge it and always said she wished she was heartless... so that she wouldn't be hurt easily.

RedRibbons

17.. I don't know exactly when other people are uncomfortable and need to adjust things.. but I ask them if they are cause I can sense it, but don't know for sure... I didn't select that one. ::p:

Remus

Staff member
Scored only 6, if I'd have took that test 10 years back the result would have probably been 20 or so judging from the questions

I'm much much calmer than i used to be

Nicholas

Scored only 6, if I'd have took that test 10 years back the result would have probably been 20 or so judging from the questions

I'm much much calmer than i used to be

Then it's very weird, because sensitivity is not something you can lose... if you are a real HSP, you'll always be an HSP. If hsp's have problems like I do, they can try to solve them, and they can take advantage of their sensitivity to do something good, but they will always be hsp's, somehow. As far as I know, it depends on our nervous system...

lunarla

I got 23. I actually took this very test when I was in counseling last summer. I think the biggest thing for me is loud sounds at certain times and certain things that people do around me (sorta OCD with that though). I can't sleep if I can hear an ounce of someone talking, even just quietly because I tune into that so much.

Although, it does make me a very talented eavesdropper. Sometimes it's not really convenient for my studiousness though.

Remus

Staff member
Then it's very weird, because sensitivity is not something you can lose... if you are a real HSP, you'll always be an HSP. If hsp's have problems like I do, they can try to solve them, and they can take advantage of their sensitivity to do something good, but they will always be hsp's, somehow. As far as I know, it depends on our nervous system...

possibly because I took illicit drugs like amphetamines? I gather they highten anything like that

I've also learned to calm myself and not get as agitated

come to think of it when anxious I'm hyper-sensitive,with a panic attack extremely so.

Us brit do doubt everything though, I take nothing as gospel and don't exactly agree with this doctors findings

Last edited:

slicknsly

7.... but I think I missed the art and music one...I dont think I'm exactly moved by art, but I like it and I play music for relief.

agoraphobickatie

i scored a niiiine... i think i'm more sensitive to others, as in the 'perceptive' sense, than having a sensitive personality or whatever.. i learned at an early age that i can't let a lot of shit get to me or i'd be in trouble! haha :)

Lea

Banned
I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input: no

I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment: yes

Other people´s moods affect me: yes

I tend to be very sensitive to pain: yes

I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days, into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation: yes

I am particulary sensitive to the effects of caffeine: I don´t know, I don´t drink coffee.

I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens close by: no

I have a rich, complex inner life: I am afraid no

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises: yes

I am deeply moved by the arts or music: sometimes..

My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself: what the hell is "go off" :confused:, anyway I guess the answer would be yes

I am conscientious: yes

I startle easily: sometimes.. maybe yes

I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time: what is rattled? Shaky? Maybe yes but I try to keep my cool, not panic to get things done.

When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating): well usually it´s only me who is uncomfortable and when I make it comfortable for myself, for example open the window when there is no fresh air, people get annoyed.

I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once: yes

I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things: yes

I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows: I don´t make a point of it but usually I just don´t like it.

I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me: yes

Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me disrupting my concentration or mood: hm, it´s no pleasant to be very hungry, I think yes

Changes in my life shake me up: yes

I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art: I like scents, I like tastes.. sounds, depending what sounds.. works of art.. depending what it is, but I think there are people more sensitive to it so I answer no.

I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once: yes

I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations: no

I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes: probably yes

When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse that I would otherwise: I try not to, I try to keep calm.

When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy: yes

cosmosis

I have the combination of being very highly sensitive but very stubborn and tough at the same time. It makes for a dangerous combination - Times when I should just give up or retreat, I refuse and end up causing myself much more pain.