Are you an HSP? (Highly Sensitive Person)

What's the score you got?

• Total voters

MothMan

i scored 11. some of these questions are asking the same thing in different words. thats a silly way to measure something and I'm really sensitive to obvious errors like that. so I only marked the statements that were more true to me.

limetree

I bought the book but the descriptions were just too fluffy for my liking; the way she kept describing HSPs as extremely gifted, intuitive with refined discernment... How do you begin to measure the how deeply you process information anyway?? I don't think my reactions to physical stimuli were ever as extreme as some of the examples described in the book (like crying in music class become the instruments were too loud...)

D

dragonassbabe

i am and id like to post a page for you to read, it is not a DISORDER is is biological,our central nevious system is wired diffrently and our thinking patters and how our brain works is diffrent. having hsp dont mean you have something wrong with you at all but i could me you have problems because you dont know what has been bothering you and why everything is so personal, if you dont know wht hsp is and you have it and you dont understand it. not understanding how to live ina world that dont understand us causes problems within ourselves. here is a site that can explane much better than i can......................Highly Sensitive People - Traits and Characteristics

hidingfromtheworld

I was criticized by my father about every physical trait as a child..My father repeatedly told me that i was ugly,there must have been a mix up at the hospital because all the other boys in his family are good looking. My father would imitate the way i walk,talk,etc...it was done as a joke ,but, he was very serious and later when i was about 16 he decided that i would no longer go out to dinner with the family,,they would bring me a takeout because i was an embarrassment to be seen with..As i said, it was presented always as a joke,but, the result is that i have locked myself away for over 20 years..im extremely irritable and sensitive to noise. I freeze when i have to go into crowded places or have to conduct business where others are seated in a lobby. It takes everything i have to walk in front of people,stand at the receptionist desk etc. Im constantly turning to the side,adjusting my clothes,turning around,etc,,and in my mind i am racing through the physical flaws that my father pointed out and i feel so ashamed/embarrassed because i think the whole lobby is thinking what my father thought. I cannot go to movies,concerts,etc , unless i arrive very early so that i can take my seat without walking in front of the crowd. Once seated i do not get up [even if i have to go to the restroom] , i stay seated until the event is over and everyone has left ,or else i leave early. I grocery shop in the middle of the night ,and, still feel self concious about being seen,,although not as bad as in the day time. i AM SUCH A 'PEOPLE HATER' AND I DONT WANT TO BE.so i just cut myself off from the world. I am perceived as very negative by most people and dont have alot of freinds. I also attract negative comments about my looks from strangers at times. Some have criticized the exact same things my father did and its so painful to realize that he was right. Does anyone else have these issues? Do you feel inadequate and unattractive? So much so that you avoid society ? I actually have one dear freind and he goes to the store for me alot and runs errands when im tripping. Iam a sweet person deep down but i have always been bullied and hated on . Even by my family. I feel so scary looking and unattractive that i just cant function around others because i freeze,literally,and have to bolt outta there and go home to my comfort zone..sorry if i posted in the wrong place..im not very computer savvy. I wanted to add this; If i am told for example ; that my clothes are a little wrinkled ,,i will be so sad/offended that i will never speak to the person again. yes,very sensitive/insecure. I also do some 'explosions' [verbally] on strangers when they intend no harm. yes, highly sensitive .

AimeeSP

I got 24! was expected really, i knew i was a HSP. :( has it's advantages at times though. I just feel so upset at how many people get fed up with me because i tend to think people really hate me if they say something in the wrong tone. :(

Thorndrop

I got 18. I don't see why 'highly sensitive' should be something to be diagnosed as a problem. It's just a personality trait. A lot of the ones I ticked were just about me being a useless multi-tasker.

Nicholas

Yeah, it's a personality trait... it's not a something you have to "cure", it's not a disorder. But it is a personality trait that seems to be extremely important, and it must be taken into account... because I believe it somehow forms the basis of a person's personality.
The poll is "Are you an HSP?", not "Do you have HSP?".. it's not a disorder, lol.

Shift

I was criticized by my father about every physical trait as a child..My father repeatedly told me that i was ugly,there must have been a mix up at the hospital because all the other boys in his family are good looking. My father would imitate the way i walk,talk,etc...it was done as a joke ,but, he was very serious and later when i was about 16 he decided that i would no longer go out to dinner with the family,,they would bring me a takeout because i was an embarrassment to be seen with..As i said, it was presented always as a joke,but, the result is that i have locked myself away for over 20 years..im extremely irritable and sensitive to noise. I freeze when i have to go into crowded places or have to conduct business where others are seated in a lobby. It takes everything i have to walk in front of people,stand at the receptionist desk etc. Im constantly turning to the side,adjusting my clothes,turning around,etc,,and in my mind i am racing through the physical flaws that my father pointed out and i feel so ashamed/embarrassed because i think the whole lobby is thinking what my father thought. I cannot go to movies,concerts,etc , unless i arrive very early so that i can take my seat without walking in front of the crowd. Once seated i do not get up [even if i have to go to the restroom] , i stay seated until the event is over and everyone has left ,or else i leave early. I grocery shop in the middle of the night ,and, still feel self concious about being seen,,although not as bad as in the day time. i AM SUCH A 'PEOPLE HATER' AND I DONT WANT TO BE.so i just cut myself off from the world. I am perceived as very negative by most people and dont have alot of freinds. I also attract negative comments about my looks from strangers at times. Some have criticized the exact same things my father did and its so painful to realize that he was right. Does anyone else have these issues? Do you feel inadequate and unattractive? So much so that you avoid society ? I actually have one dear freind and he goes to the store for me alot and runs errands when im tripping. Iam a sweet person deep down but i have always been bullied and hated on . Even by my family. I feel so scary looking and unattractive that i just cant function around others because i freeze,literally,and have to bolt outta there and go home to my comfort zone..sorry if i posted in the wrong place..im not very computer savvy. I wanted to add this; If i am told for example ; that my clothes are a little wrinkled ,,i will be so sad/offended that i will never speak to the person again. yes,very sensitive/insecure. I also do some 'explosions' [verbally] on strangers when they intend no harm. yes, highly sensitive .

I don't have quite the same experience as you do... But I understand about having a very critical father. I grew up with my dad constantly telling me that I'm ugly, that my hair looks like crap, that I'm ****ing retarded, an idiot, gay, that I dress badly, etc. And then when we are in the car, he will criticize my driving. And I get yelled at for not having a job or a bank account. He's never had anything nice to say to me in my entire life. I was really down on myself and depressed through most of high school because of him.

It hasn't led me to avoid society (though I do avoid society for other reasons...), just my dad. Yesterday was bad though. I spent 40 minutes hiding in my bathroom waiting for my dad to get out of the kitchen so I wouldn't have to talk to him and I ended up missing one of my classes.

EgoZero

11, but I think I am much more sensitive, just there wasn't enough situations in the answers that fit me.

shore_of_glass

not sure about some answers tho

"I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by."

I just can't stand very strong smells :p