Anyone never worked before?

Awkward Annie

I got my first job when I was 21. It was handing out leaflets to cars in traffic for a few hours over three days. I got 200euro for it and it paid for my first trip abroad with a few friends. It was great for someone like me because I didn't need to speak to anyone or work with anyone.

The job I'm in now is my second job ever and I've been in it for nearly 4 years. It's semi-social and can involve meeting new people on a daily basis. It really threw me into the deep end and I figured I had to make it work somehow or leave. I still find it difficult to talk to most people and they see me as a bit weird but I have made one close friend for which I will be forever grateful.

As a teenager I was petrified of working anyway incase I messed up or found that I couldn't do the job properly. Even things like the thought of using a till freaked me out. I didn't want to go for a job interview which was the main reason I never applied for anything.

Working has helped my sp a thousandfold. I'm by no means cured but I'm now doing things that I never dreamt I could do.

Shift

I'm a sushi waitress too! But wtf? They fired you for being too quiet? My boss thinks I'm a hard worker and a good employee because I'm quiet. You need to come over to my little area of the world and work with me :)

I've had pretty much the same job for a year and a few months. Mostly cause I had no choice - my boss hired me and apparently, he's the only one who'll hire me. I can't seem to find any other jobs when I go looking.

He told me he was looking for someone more outgoing...

I've applied to a bunch of places and have gone to a few job interviews, but I can't seem to get hired anywhere.

I had 5 failed interviews in 3 months... 23 years old, no experience. You're not alone. I'm not talkative enough to get a job. I'm very silent in interviews.

caissa825

I have never had a real job... other than some tutoring when I was in college and some solitary work in a library (I was in a back room alone, repairing broken books). I have never had to work for financial reasons since I've been married, but I feel pretty lame knowing I probably couldn't if I had to.

SpLynx

I hadnt also, I am 24 years old, I dont think I can get a job with being so quiet.. as I am a female I can pretend to be a housewife.. It should be hard for males..

shore_of_glass

I'm 19 and never worked before. I just can't think of taking a responsability or interacting with people I've never met on my life. I think that I'd be better off carrying boxes in a basement or whatever lol.

Then when I see friends of mine working to get the things they want I just feel so bad...

I went to this one interview, but I chickened out and said the time schedule wasnt for me..

let's see what college does to me lol, cuz i can't see myself working.

lyricalliaisons

I feel so embarressed about myself because i am 27 and still never had a job in my life. ::(:

You're not alone because I'm also 27 & have never had a job in my life. Completely due to my fear of being around & communicating with people. Actually, I'll be 28 in less than 2 months ::(:

Lost Girl

Wow...I'm blown away at just how many people here are in a similar boat to what I'm in. I'm 25 and have never really had a proper job. I feel so pathetic about it. I worked in the Sydney Olympics when I was 16 which was obviously only temporary and was painfully shy and quiet with co-workers for the entire time. I ran away from an abusive home to the streets when I was just turned 18, and met a guy who helped me and took me in. We both had our problems and found solace in each other. Long, long, long story short, I fell pregnant that same year and we had a beautiful daughter when I was 19. Since then, I have been a stay-at-home mum. But really, its just an excuse. I'm terrified of the thought of going to work day in and day out with strange people. Let alone the though of what type of work I would be capable of doing in the first place. Let alone the interview process itself!
Late last year I worked up the confidence to apply for a job as a late night shift apprentice baker. I don't know what appealed to me about the job really....well I like baking, and with the late hours I figured I wouldn't have to encounter too many people, plus, I thought it would require little skills. But it was horrible! I was working alongside two men who were close mates and constantly joking around with each other, I felt very much like an outsider. And as the bakery was part of a supermarket there were many other workers around, shelf-stackers etc. When my partner picked me up I would ball my eyes to him. I was so stressed. I quit after my second day.
In '07 I attended college to become a social worker...lol - a SOCIAL worker! I guess I had always liked the idea of helping people...I made a couple of good friends who I have since lost contact with, but I could not stand the big group sessions we would have in class, where we have to talk in front of 40-odd people. Nightmare. There was a passing in my family about 6 months into the course and I dropped out, and though I was a complete wreck about it at the time, I do sometimes wonder if I just used it as an excuse.
Now that I am 25 and soon to be 26, life is looking very dismal. My daughter is wow turning 7 next year. And though my partner and I have been trying to fall pregnant again (we would love to have a son) it has so far been unsuccessful, and I really do feel quite useless at home all day between the hours of 9 and 3 - there is never all that much housework to do day to day. Part of me really does want to get out there and do something with myself. But part of me also feels pressured and hates that society makes one feel obligated to work! But ah, thats just being silly. We need to work to live and achieve our goals of a great house etc...
Bottom line is I have no real skills, nothing to offer, and really, I have no decent work history. Looking at that on paper - I wouldn't even hire me, so why should anyone else?

pljunkie

I'm 26 in a few days and I've only had 2 jobs. Both were cleaning jobs. I'm currently unemployed and I am anxious about looking for work and my parents keep pushing me to hand out resumes online. I think I'm more worried about getting an interview than an actual job. But cleaning is good for me since there isn't much interaction with people.

iamthenra

I graduated from college back in 1992 as an electronic technician. I held a job for over 16 almost 17 years at one company... That company laid me off back in April, and I have been looking diligently since for another electronic tech job... There isn't anything out there. So I decided to change my career path, and I am presently enrolled in college AGAIN, and I am going to earn a degree in nursing... I've always had interest in the medical field, and now is my chance.

SpLynx

Lost Girl, I feel same as you. I also want to be a social worker but maybe I should look at your example and stop fantasizing :))) Anyway I have no idea of what can I be...

btw, people till age 21 shouldnt write here that they feel bad about not having a job... you still have some time.. teenagers especially... you can cry starting from 23 or smth... but you can cry about parents pushing you to work, I will understand...

Last edited:

daniel_monster

I've never had anymore then crappy part time jobs. Whenever I do get a job I tend to stay with it too long. I think it's because I fear having to look for another one. Also, I never think I am skilled enough to take certain jobs.

I'm the same way. Looking for another job scares me to death. I always feel under qualified and that I'm bothering them. I think the shortest time I spent at a job was close to 2 years

Tiercel

My last job was spent as a cashier at Toys"R"Us for all of one day. Anxiety was too great, and couldn't bear the prospect of going back the next day. In the five plus years since things have gotten more difficult, if anything. Last year I couldn't even contact a lady about volunteering at a wildlife rehab center. And working with raptors is something I still really want to do. So if I can't overcome my anxiety for something I want to do, I really don't have all that much hope for my future.

::(:

Luke1993

I try to get a job, but they all say I don't have enough experience! Even with all of my qualifications and stuff. IF YOU GIVE ME A JOB I CAN GET EXPERIENCE DAMMIT!

"Degrees don't mean s*** in today's world" is what someone once told me. I don't know if it is true.

Well I'm at college now, not university college one down from that, but I have a feeling it will all be worthless. I would love to join one of my nation's armed forces, but I have a feeling due to my disability I may not be able to pass the fitness standards required. But once I move out I'll spend a year beating myself into shape and I'll give it a shot!