Anyone else grind their teeth in their sleep?

Sugar sweetness

Oooh yes. I find myself obsessively grinding my teeth far too often. I'll also clench my jaw. So it's like either I'm doing that or grinding my teeth, and my mouth hurts like crazy by the time the day is over. I also do it in my sleep, but it's harder to realize this one or the severity of it. I think if it gets really bad you can buy some sort of mouthguard, never tried it though!

fitftw

my dentist said my side teeth are all flattened from grinding. I'm grinding them down to nothingness. I can't help it. She wanted me to get some kind of night-guard, but I don't want it.

Letting nature take its course with me.

GoBlue72

I think I might do this, especially recently waking with pain in my teeth. And mine are all worn down as well, although I know I've always gritted my teeth when anxious.

JamieD

I do, doesn't help when have to wear a retainer at night. The plastic retainers don't last long with me :p In-fact, i've just noticed my left 'fang' tooth has been levelled off, probably from this.

jus

I do apparantly... so my dentist claims...

Wake your friend up randomly and tell her she snores realy loud =)

Mokkat

precisely. I always have to hear this commented on by my friends after sleeping in the same room with them, like after a party.

Daz

I clench my jaw when i sleep and it's damaging my bottom teeth. My jaw also clicks really loud when I'm eating, so loud that people can hear it from another room. I feel really self conscious when eating now, after so many people commenting on it.

It gets really sore during the cold months and sometimes locks up. I'm going to have a look for a mouth guard for when I sleep to see if it improves.

It must also affect my breathing when sleeping, which could be part of the reason why I'm always tired and have no energy.

DespairSoul

Oh yea my bf and tonight i decide come to his dreams like Freddie Cruger muhaha and he will stop right the way because my thiny nerves popping out anytime what he does if he sleeps:)

Im kidding is not annoying if i sleep:)he can make it as he wish i dont care. If he isnt hurted im to not sometimes even i think is cute that he imagine he eat something delicious maybe?:D

PhantomPod

I do, yes. I actually wear a mouth guard things to bed now. It really messed up my two bottom molars. Like I basically had big craters in my teeth cause I was grinding so much and it was wearing down my teeth. The night guard works great though. You can just buy one of CVS or any pharmacy type store.

MadPayne

I did grind my teeth during sleep too ... up to a point were my front teeth were basically destroyed and I had to spend a lot of money on getting veneers.
Well, not necessarily for medical reasons, but my experience was that there's one thing people don't tolerate: messed up teeth, and even if it's not your own fault. ::(:

Nowadays I also wear one of these mouth guard things and I can only recommend them to anyone who suffers from teeth grinding ... they don't solve the intrinsic problem behind teeth grinding but it can definitely prevent damage ... to both your teeth and your wallet :cool:

N0D

Banned
I do! The dentist is the one that figured it out cause I had no idea either, it was so bad that I was like wearing my teeth down. The dentist gave me a thing to wear when I sleep.

Streifen

I used to quite a few years ago, when I was at my most stressed. I noticed it myself when I awoke in the middle of the night and my jaw was working on its own, making this horrible sound. It happened enough that the right-side row of my teeth appear flatter than the left-side row of my teeth, but thankfully I haven't noticed any further damage in all of these years. However, It did prompt me to try to live as stress-free as I can.

Drew M

An ex told me I do it. A few months ago I woke up with a massive black lumpy spot on my inner cheek. I was convinced I had mouth cancer until it had gone. I also seem to have caved one side of my left molar into my gum.

GoBlue72

Does anyone know if I'd have problems with a mouthguard, since I breathe through my mouth mostly rather than my nose?