Anti-bullying propaganda

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I was watching TV, a kid's channel. There seems to be some anti-bullying campaign going on, because I've seen various propagandas about it. But said thing rubbed me the wrong way. I find something awfully wrong with all of it. The way it's portrayed and the misinformation.

I will name two of the situations:

- There's a fat girl sitting alone in the classroom while everyone else goes outside during the break. A group of "pretty" girls are giggling retardedly, looking at her. One of them gets close, the fat girl looks scared, you'd think the other was going to make fun of her. Instead, the other girl acts all nice, everyone smiles, end of story.

- There's a really small nerdy kid with glasses, sitting alone (again), during lunch time. A group of three, one big bad guy being the leader, gets close. The bad guy talks to the kid in a way you'd think he's going to pull his intestines out. Nope, he starts talking about super heros with the kid, everyone happy, blah blah.

Kindly tell me why those kids are portrayed as two weirdos that sit alone. Why do they look like what society defines as "different"?

NEWS FLASH. The pretty girl can be a victim, the big bad guy can be a victim, the socially isolated fat girl can be a bully. Do you know what you're saying with your fail propaganda? That only a group of kids can be victims. Do you know what this causes? Adults might not believe the big bad guy that he's being bullied, because he's suppose to be the alpha in the situation.

And do you know what you're doing with a group of kids? You're isolating them, you're discriminating them. You picked those you consider strange based on the way they look and act. You portrayed them as socially awkward, weak, weird. And the "bullies", that look like what society considers pretty and strong, have compassion for the poor weird kids by being nice.

You all suck. Your propaganda is bad and you should feel bad.

Klonoa

Jaja, "Basta de Bullying" es una propaganda de mierda. Empezó decente y pronto se volvió una mugre.

That said, latinamerican television is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Sadly, it does. *sigh*

jaim38

I couldn't agree more. I can point out many examples of bully victims who are NOT fat, ugly, nerdy, or wear glasses. Bullying can happen to anyone.

awkwardamanda

I'm gonna disagree with everyone so far. I think you're overanalyzing and missing the point. I don't think these ads are trying to claim that only fat kids and nerds get bullied or that all of them get bullied. Yes, anyone can potentially be the victim. Sometimes the bully is someone who was once the victim and just wanted to get even and be powerful. They're showing two examples of groups who are sometimes stereotyped as uncool and likely to get bullied. You're reading into it too much. I think they're trying to send the message to kids that just because someone is apparently different from you doesn't mean you should be mean to them or exclude them. If they had just shown some seemingly regular kid sitting alone, I don't think it would have had the same impact they were going for.

goblin

I'm gonna disagree with everyone so far. I think you're overanalyzing and missing the point. I don't think these ads are trying to claim that only fat kids and nerds get bullied or that all of them get bullied. Yes, anyone can potentially be the victim. Sometimes the bully is someone who was once the victim and just wanted to get even and be powerful. They're showing two examples of groups who are sometimes stereotyped as uncool and likely to get bullied. You're reading into it too much. I think they're trying to send the message to kids that just because someone is apparently different from you doesn't mean you should be mean to them or exclude them. If they had just shown some seemingly regular kid sitting alone, I don't think it would have had the same impact they were going for.

I'd like to see the commercials myself to get a better idea of the message. I think there's only so much you can do with little kids and 30 seconds on the air, unfortunately.

dottie

People are dumb and need things spoon fed to them in an obvious way. Television does have a target demographic.

That sounds mean. It is not meant to slight you for watching TV. But you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Odo

Banned
It makes more sense to portray the rule and not the exception to the rule.

And it has nothing to do with how intelligent your average TV viewer is. Plus, I thought the whole too-cool-for-school 'TV is for peasants' attitude ended around the same time TV began having more substance than feature films.

dottie

It makes more sense to portray the rule and not the exception to the rule.

And it has nothing to do with how intelligent your average TV viewer is. Plus, I thought the whole too-cool-for-school 'TV is for peasants' attitude ended around the same time TV began having more substance than feature films.

Haha knock yourself out. I still don't want it in my house.

Signed,
Too Cool

Solitudes_Grace

I haven't seen these commercials myself, but based on your descriptions of them, I very much agree with the points you made Hellhound.

dottie

Please have more tact.

Yeah, your are right. My initial post came across pretty rude and for that I am sorry. I still am entitled to an unpopular opinion but I should have relayed it... softer or not at all. Sometimes I should just shut up.

dottie

Odo, people are entitled to opinions that differ from yours. I know what I stated was pretty rude and a sweeping generalization, which I apologized for. It was admittedly kind of ridiculous. But you take it to another level by targeting specific people and personally attacking them. It is very hateful. Some of your posts are great, you have a lot of insightful contributions.. but then this behavior pretty much negates it.

Odo

Banned
Yeah, nice delete there.

Yes, okay, I admit... I changed my mind about posting what I posted because I had second thoughts about getting into an online conflict. But I guess it's going to happen now.

You seem to think generalizing your attacks somehow makes it easier to take, and that you don't need to feel guilty about it because you didn't use any actual names. It doesn't... and the fact that you've just attacked me personally for personally attacking people (and then deciding not to) is the very definition of irony.

That's great that you've liberated yourself from the electric demon but if your only reason for doing so was to be able to tell everyone how superior you are, I'd say you didn't gain very much from it. I definitely can't see much evidence of your intellectual prowess on this forum... so I really have to wonder what makes you so much better than your average TV viewer.

And to be honest, I very much meant what I said. I'm all for insightful criticisms of pretty much anything, but this thread is just nasty and dumb. Shitting on things all the time doesn't make you a genius, it makes you a ****.