Anti-bullying propaganda

In a perfect world, we wouldn't tie any value to stereotypes and all people would understand that they are merely possible correlations in behaviour in people that grew up in similar circumstances and that there's always fluctuation in people no matter how stereotypical they may seem. But then again, in a perfect world there wouldn't be any bullying either. Some people may simply need an relateable stereotype for the coin to drop.

The question is what kind of message people get from the commercials. Because generalizing as it may be, if it shines a light on behaviour rather than stereotype, it could very well be effective. While it may not be perfect, any stance against bullying is better than non.

It kinda sucks they went about it awkwardly, though. The two examples given don't seem very accurate in my experience, which is counter productive in preventing it. It's would've been better if the commercials focussed on behaviour and bullying methods, rather than stereotypes.

Draconess25

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I don't think only stupid people watch TV. I think most people watch TV, and most people are just stupid. But there are always exceptions, because some smart people watch TV, and some stupid people don't. :p

As for the original topic, I disagree with a completely different message of the anti-bullying movement: tell an adult and don't fight back.

Teachers say to tell them if you're being bullied, but when you do, they usually don't do a damn thing but change the seating chart. And then during free time, the bullies will just saunter over and start their shit again. Or catch you in the hallway, PE, bathroom, or lunch.

And sometimes you have to fight back. In an ideal world, all problems can be solved peacefully. Walking away or talking it out can give the bully a change of heart. But in reality, they catch you by the back of your shirt and slam you into a wall. So if they're willing to get in trouble for tormenting you, be willing to get in trouble to save your own ***. Yeah, you may get suspended, expelled, or even arrested. But you have to teach them not to mess with you anymore.

awkwardamanda

Btw I can't tell if that was sarcasm, it's hard to translate over the web hehe

That was not sarcasm. I was insulted that you would suggest that most people who watch TV are stupid. Most people watch at least a bit of TV. They even have stations like the Discovery Channel and the History Channel that are geared more towards intelligent people.

Haha knock yourself out. I still don't want it in my house.

Signed,
Too Cool

Yeah, your are right. My initial post came across pretty rude and for that I am sorry. I still am entitled to an unpopular opinion but I should have relayed it... softer or not at all. Sometimes I should just shut up.

Yes, you're entitled to an unpopular opinion; it just bothers people when you're smug about it. But I think you realize that now.

A fight in my thread? What is this? :eek:

A fight in your anti-bullying thread.:giggle:

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I don't think only stupid people watch TV. I think most people watch TV, and most people are just stupid. But there are always exceptions, because some smart people watch TV, and some stupid people don't. :p

As for the original topic, I disagree with a completely different message of the anti-bullying movement: tell an adult and don't fight back.

Teachers say to tell them if you're being bullied, but when you do, they usually don't do a damn thing but change the seating chart. And then during free time, the bullies will just saunter over and start their shit again. Or catch you in the hallway, PE, bathroom, or lunch.

And sometimes you have to fight back. In an ideal world, all problems can be solved peacefully. Walking away or talking it out can give the bully a change of heart. But in reality, they catch you by the back of your shirt and slam you into a wall. So if they're willing to get in trouble for tormenting you, be willing to get in trouble to save your own ***. Yeah, you may get suspended, expelled, or even arrested. But you have to teach them not to mess with you anymore.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. There are plenty of not-so-bright people out there and most of them watch TV. You're right that teachers do piss all. That was the story of my life in elementary school. The solution was always to put us in different classes the next year. Then it was just a new bully. There was one kid who teased me because I had long fingernails. One day I grabbed his arm and dug my claws in. He got what he deserved.

Draconess25

I think you hit the nail on the head here. There are plenty of not-so-bright people out there and most of them watch TV. You're right that teachers do piss all. That was the story of my life in elementary school. The solution was always to put us in different classes the next year. Then it was just a new bully. There was one kid who teased me because I had long fingernails. One day I grabbed his arm and dug my claws in. He got what he deserved.

Exactly. Or my friends and I would have the same bullies in multiple classes, or the bullies would get their own friends to bother us if they couldn't. And changing the whole schedule and assigning new lockers was just unfeasable. Recess was particularly awful, considering the lack of supervision