Anger cancels out Anxiety/Shyness

I get this. an example, when some boy in my class started having a go at me for no reason (he has attitude problems) when i got angry back at him i dont feel shy anymore and i feel like my normal self. but after wards i feel horrible.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

Ignace

True, experienced it 2 weeks ago. But I don't see a solution in being angry every day, every moment, ..

bigrob

I get this. an example, when some boy in my class started having a go at me for no reason (he has attitude problems) when i got angry back at him i dont feel shy anymore and i feel like my normal self. but after wards i feel horrible.

That's not "angry back" as much as the fight or flight response kicked in.

The fof mechanism is one of the most powerful we have, it will over ride just about everything else. You body has only two purposed at the moment 1) fight or 2) flee. Things such as worrying what other think become unimportant.

Fwiw I was at my best while I was a bouncer.

lyricalliaisons

There have been moments when I've gotten very angry & it makes it easier for me to talk to people (though not in a nice way lol), but the anxiety doesn't go away. As I'm angry, I'm also terrified of the behavior of the other person & how they're going to react to my anger. So when I get angry, both the anger & the anxiety coincide with one another & the anxiety is still there.

Luthien

Anger is good! Well, it's not great, but it's totally a step up from anxiety any day. Personally I don't really get angry, but that's really bad. I had a horrendous temper as a child and was told I needed to learn to control it, so I just stopped getting angry, which eventually turned into depression and not standing up for myself. And I know what you mean about feeling horrible afterward, in the rare times that I do get angry (I'm trying to learn to get angry again) I get that. Feeling angry can be so painful, I think because you're filling with adrenaline and you suddenly stop releasing it. Adrenaline feels so toxic when you don't expend it. It reminds me of this thing called "somatic experiencing therapy".

It's based on the idea that when a gazelle gets chased by a lion and survives, it doesn't have a complex for the rest of it's life. What it DOES is to buck and kick and run around until all the adrenaline's gone, then it just goes back to grazing. As humans, our brains tell us what to do so we don't have that instant reactionary instinct to help. What the therapy does is try to help people who've been through trauma to release it.

I have a few friends who've done this and say it's incredible. One friend (who's father was so awful to him his whole life, he actually pushed him out a second story window!) said he probably wouldn't be alive without it. I haven't personally tried it yet, the closest place to do it is a bit too far. I'd like to give it a go someday, though. Maybe you'd like it? Here's a link, if you're interested: Foundation for Human Enrichment- Trauma Healing

Last edited:

Mokkat

Its in my personallity to not get angry at other people at all :(

I get mad at computer games for killing me or something, but I get depressed when people anger me :(

agoraphobickatie

yeah, it's called distraction... one of the best ways to 'cope' with anxiety/stress/etc..
i told my therapist once that i was so pissed at my dad when he got home, that i didn't even have a problem getting in the car to go to the ups store because i was just so angry that all i was thinking about was cussing him out! she was like "really? well.. do that more often, then!" lol

Bama_Heath

I don't know how I feel about this. Anger used to be a real problem for me and I have it somewhat under control now. It rears it's ugly head still from time to time and I always feel bad when that happens. I don't like having anxiety or being angry. I've been in lots of fights and they never made me feel better other than the brief adrenaline rush that occurs. But I would be depressed later and feel bad because I always kicked the other guy or guys butts pretty good. They may have deserved it....but I don't like hurting people unless I'm forced to through self-defense.

black-wings

I've experienced that. I had really bad anxiety in high school. Quietest person in my class. Anyways, some douche bag in my class was always messin with me and one day I had enough and cussed him out in class. He and everyone else just stood in wonder because they never saw that side. Anyone with anxiety would be afraid of that kind of attention but for about 5-10 minutes I completely forgot about my anxiety. Like Bama said, your adrenaline kicks in and your oblivious to the entire world. But i didnt feel terrible afterwards. I felt kinda good actually. :)

Waybuloo

Definitely! When I am angry I don't care about what other people think, and I will do things I would not otherwise do to get what I deserve, or just to lash out. I also become way less self conscious.

I don't actually feel any remorse or guilt, though it is those close to me who usually bear the brunt