African American is hella racist

Thelema

Calling someone african american sounds racist. Just because someone has dark skin, they're African? They've never even been to Africa, much less been born there. Its not as if they're tribesman visiting America for a while.

And why is African first in "African American?" Their (non) Africanness comes before them being American? Or are they half African and half American?

Why do people act like its a great term to use?

Its weird.

awkwardamanda

Yeah, not all black people are of African decent. They could be Jamaican or something.

A few weeks ago, we were looking for a missing child in my store. Another staff member described him to me as "African American." WTF?!?! I live in Canada!!:confused: If she felt uncomfortable saying "black," I'm sure "dark skinned" would have sufficed.

coyote

my "ethnic heritage" is German, English, Dutch, Spanish, Irish, Scottish, and Cherokee

so am i a "European American?"

but my ancestors came over from Europe (or were already here) over 400 years ago

when do we stop claiming heritage from somewhere else and simply call ourselves "American"

and if it's ok to call me "white" to refer to my skin tone, then why isn't it ok to use some other color to refer to someone with a different skin tone?

or perhaps we should do away with the whole color thing altogether

aren't we all simply humans?

why do we need to categorize?

it honestly makes no sense to me, and never has

coyote

in Marine Corps boot camp, we were taught that Marines only come in one color - green

some of us are dark green, some of us are light green - but we're all brothers

IMO the rest of the world needs to start thinking the same way

WeirdyMcGee

Yeah... people like to categorize and compartmentalize everything, though.
That's why your ethnicity is still 'important'-- it's another way to identify you and to categorize you.

I remember in college, I was asked by a classmate 'what are you?' and I didn't understand his question.
He said he was Spanish and I was confused because he was clearly raised in Canada. haha
So, I said I was Canadian and he said I looked Russian.
If someone really must know 'what I am', I'm Irish/Metis by heritage-- but I'm a 5th generation Irish Canadian, really... so, I'm white.
Being Metis, means I'm also part Aboriginal but my skin is white.

I don't care if someone calls me white- it's just a descriptive word.
I don't say African American because it's always sounded strange to me- so I say dark skinned if I must describe someone who is dark skinned; and comment on their accent, if they have one.

Until the day every human has 'grey skin', black hair and brown eyes; I think we'll continue to categorize eachother.
It's a part of our nature. haha

Remus

Staff member
In the UK people from ethic background label themselves, BBC (British born Chinese) BBA (British born Asian) for example. Why not allow the ethnics decide?

Why arn't there European Americans? You're all immigrants after all lol

mmmm

I think black and white are non-offensive terms because they describe what people look like (though not very accurately) without making any assumptions about their heritage. I hate it when people who don't know me call me European. And the sad part is that they do it because they are afraid to say white.

Felgen

A black American is just as much an "American" as a white American--yet, you rarely hear about "European Americans". I find the term African American more offensive than the term black.

Aussie_Lad

It is only racist if the person you are talking to takes offense at the term. While there might be a few that would take offense at the term, I doubt the majority would as it is such a commonly used term. I certainly would not be offended by someone calling me English Australian even though I was born in Australia, because I love England and am proud that I have English in my bloodline.

It's not an offensive term at all.
The"African" before the "American" is a statement of heritage pride,just like "Irish American" or "Italian American".
Unless of course a persons politics lends them to thinking that the prefix "African" is somehow another way to say inferior,which it's clearly not to any rightminded person.

Interesting way to look at the issue though. :)

Tiercel

African-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American, (insert country or region here)-American.....

To me, it's just another excuse to enjoy a different type of food. We all live in America, and to me that's the important part. If you can give me a taste of some different and tasty food, you can call yourself whatever you please. Music, customs, and other culture are nice, too, but food comes first for me.

I'm currently thinking of what kinds of German food to eat, with that whole Oktoberfest thing coming up.

Maybe I just need to find something to eat, since I'm hungry....

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I think it would be racist if it was believed there was something wrong with being African of coming from African decent, but I don't think (hope) that is believed. The title is inaccurate I think, but not racist.

mmmm

^Not racist but presumptuous and judgmental. It's one thing if a person chooses to label himself in a certain way. It's quite another if someone else who knows nothing about them looks at Beyonce and says "well, you're blonde. you must be a Teutonic-Germanic-American."

Thelema

It's not an offensive term at all.
The"African" before the "American" is a statement of heritage pride,just like "Irish American" or "Italian American".
Unless of course a persons politics lends them to thinking that the prefix "African" is somehow another way to say inferior,which it's clearly not to any rightminded person.

Interesting way to look at the issue though. :)

Or is the African first to denote that they are firstly African? How come a person needs to have ethnic pride because they have darker skin?

What if your parents were aboriginal Australians and somone called you African American? That seems offensive.

I don't think it matters really. All the racists are dying off.

Well to be called "Aboriginal Australian" is no bad thing.It says "we were here first".And you freely used that term, so then why would it be bad to call someone,you label as being ethnically Australian,ethnically American?

Many ethnic groups who were brought to the America's through slavery,like the Scots need to remember who they are,need a back history so they don't feel like nowhere people.I don't see why black Americans should be denied this because we think they are insulting themselves by adopting "African" when they've been called "N*****r".

Seems a bit mean to deny a brutalised people their uniqueness.

Beatmetrics

Calling someone african american sounds racist. Just because someone has dark skin, they're African? They've never even been to Africa, much less been born there. Its not as if they're tribesman visiting America for a while.

And why is African first in "African American?" Their (non) Africanness comes before them being American? Or are they half African and half American?

Why do people act like its a great term to use?

Its weird.

Really?! Really?!

You can't be serious right?

By saying this you take away everything a person has to identify themselves.

It's almost like saying all the Filipinos that were born and raised in the US are not true Asian Americans...I'm kinda shocked you would even make this type of statement. Hmmmmm...its a shame.

Last edited:

Thelema

Really?! Really?!

You can't be serious right?

By saying this you take away everything a person has to identify themselves.

It's almost like saying all the Filipinos that were born and raised in the US are not true Asian Americans...I'm kinda shocked you would even make this type of statement. Hmmmmm...its a shame.

I'm not taking anything away from anybody and I'm not suggesting any way for people to identify themselves.

I'm just making the observation that 'African American' isn't that great a blanket term for people with dark skin.

You didn't seem to read what I wrote, but jumped at the chance to tell me how wrong I am about something I didn't say.

Ignorant person: "Gosh,your name is Hopesworth.My,my family used to own plantations down south....I'm a Hopesworth,you take your name from me...but you can't be African?,you're a Hopesworth!.....how dare you...how hurtful to me,denying your true heritage...boo hoo,shame on you,poor me!"

African American"WTF?!?!?"

Last edited:

Waybuloo

That's not racist at all. By your logic I would find it offensive to be called Chinese but alright if someone called me yellow.