A Place to Introduce Yourself

WishingICould

Hi :) I found this place when i was searching my "symptoms" online and hadn't heard about social anxiety/phobia before. It was a big relief to know that there are a lot of other people who have the same thing.

A bit about me:

-25 years old (nearly 26)
-Female
-Have 2 half sisters
-Vegetarian
-Silent hill fangirl
-Have a 3 year old German Shepherd
-Stephen King fan

I hope that by answering other people posts and starting threads myself, that i help someone, anyone, who's feeling like me.

ImNotMyIllness

Hey Everyone, Found this site by accident, and now have joined am so glad to meet everyone that thinks like me. I sometimes don't know how to vocalize, live on my facebook page as my social outlet and only leave the house for food. I live alone with my dogs. Am hoping someone will chat to me, as my opinion is that the reason is a not very loving childhood, and whilst everyone says "get over it" I don't think I have. Have had falling outs with so many friends over the years, because i felt I had done things for them, and the time I ask a favour, they were not there for me .hmmm :) any thoughts?

Sorry you were taken advantage by your "friends". Finding good friends are difficult. I also use to live on Facebook but it leaves you feeling empty. No on there is really your friend, in my opinion anyway.

This is a great place to rant. Start a thread and you'll get more responses! Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

tempelton

Hello all,

I have a tendency to go on and on if given a platform, but I'm going to try and keep this uncharacteristically short here...

I am 35 years old (I'll be 36 on Monday!) and from Ireland. I currently live in the States with my wife. Yes, I'm married but that doesn't change the fact that I have very severe social anxiety and have had since I was a teenager. I met my wife through pen-pal means (back in the olden days of the 1990's!) and so got to know her like that, prior to plucking up the courage to meet. But, I have been unable to repeat that pattern with friends. I am too fearful and too nervous about how I am perceived by others to ever really take a chance.

I have tried several times over the years to meet people, but every time I did so, it just went nowhere at all, probably because of my unease in the situation (as opposed to people necessarily disliking my personality, though I am not sure). Either way, my latest foray into trying to get better was to attend a therapist last year, but that seemed to just peter out (for the time being at least), without any significant changes having being achieved.

I have to admit, I think I'm stuck with this condition of mine. It sucks, because I constantly compare myself to others and I crave what they have, in terms of friends and opportunities for adventure. I do still try to achieve what it is that I think I might be capable of in life (including running and writing in at least an oh-so-semi-serious way), but some days I assume it's just delusion and fumes that keep me going even in those most precious of areas for me.

I am up and down with depression because of all of this and getting older certainly doesn't help (I feel like the trap is tightening around me). I am not sure that there is a solution as such for me (damaged, I guess you could say, from an early age and in a number of ways), though there may well be for others. Acceptance and flourishing within the shadows as best I can might be the most I can hope for, I don't know.

But then again, everything changes eventually. Why not this too? Perhaps it can. But today is not the day of change. Today is one of those days when my symptoms and my fears are as clear to me as rat blisters under a microscope. I hate these days and I wait for the days of delusion and fumes to return.

That's me. I've said too much again, as usual!

Pleased to meet you. :)

Klonoa

Well, I did a thread cause I didnt saw this... I guess I can't hurt to do a very abridged introduction.

>got 22 september
>just finished college
>extremely shy, nervous and somewhat depresive due feeling lonely, self-delusion into happiness via gaming.
>LOVE films, specially cult films and italian westerns, also love animation of all kinds.

Haroo~

ImNotMyIllness

Hello all,

I have a tendency to go on and on if given a platform, but I'm going to try and keep this uncharacteristically short here...

I am 35 years old (I'll be 36 on Monday!) and from Ireland. I currently live in the States with my wife. Yes, I'm married but that doesn't change the fact that I have very severe social anxiety and have had since I was a teenager. I met my wife through pen-pal means (back in the olden days of the 1990's!) and so got to know her like that, prior to plucking up the courage to meet. But, I have been unable to repeat that pattern with friends. I am too fearful and too nervous about how I am perceived by others to ever really take a chance.

I have tried several times over the years to meet people, but every time I did so, it just went nowhere at all, probably because of my unease in the situation (as opposed to people necessarily disliking my personality, though I am not sure). Either way, my latest foray into trying to get better was to attend a therapist last year, but that seemed to just peter out (for the time being at least), without any significant changes having being achieved.

I have to admit, I think I'm stuck with this condition of mine. It sucks, because I constantly compare myself to others and I crave what they have, in terms of friends and opportunities for adventure. I do still try to achieve what it is that I think I might be capable of in life (including running and writing in at least an oh-so-semi-serious way), but some days I assume it's just delusion and fumes that keep me going even in those most precious of areas for me.

I am up and down with depression because of all of this and getting older certainly doesn't help (I feel like the trap is tightening around me). I am not sure that there is a solution as such for me (damaged, I guess you could say, from an early age and in a number of ways), though there may well be for others. Acceptance and flourishing within the shadows as best I can might be the most I can hope for, I don't know.

But then again, everything changes eventually. Why not this too? Perhaps it can. But today is not the day of change. Today is one of those days when my symptoms and my fears are as clear to me as rat blisters under a microscope. I hate these days and I wait for the days of delusion and fumes to return.

That's me. I've said too much again, as usual!

Pleased to meet you. :)

I met all of my good friends in college. I only have three but that's all I need. I'm not into socializing unless I really like the person. Going out and trying to make friends is definitely no my thing.

At least you're married. Maybe you can go out with other couples?

ImNotMyIllness

Well, I did a thread cause I didnt saw this... I guess I can't hurt to do a very abridged introduction.

>got 22 september
>just finished college
>extremely shy, nervous and somewhat depresive due feeling lonely, self-delusion into happiness via gaming.
>LOVE films, specially cult films and italian westerns, also love animation of all kinds.

Haroo~

I think it's best to make a thread. More people see it. Gaming is fun. I day dream too much.

tempelton

I met all of my good friends in college. I only have three but that's all I need. I'm not into socializing unless I really like the person. Going out and trying to make friends is definitely no my thing.

At least you're married. Maybe you can go out with other couples?

It's a good suggestion (going out with other couples), thanks. We do occasionally venture out with a couple of my wife's friends, but try as I might to be as relaxed and 'fun' as possible, it just never seems to lead to any sustained contact.

Patterns are the hardest metal known to mankind!

ImNotMyIllness

It's a good suggestion (going out with other couples), thanks. We do occasionally venture out with a couple of my wife's friends, but try as I might to be as relaxed and 'fun' as possible, it just never seems to lead to any sustained contact.

Patterns are the hardest metal known to mankind!

I hear you! And, some guys are harder to get along with than others. Not to mention we guys tend to have a competitive element going on. It's tough to click with another person.

tempelton

I hear you! And, some guys are harder to get along with than others. Not to mention we guys tend to have a competitive element going on. It's tough to click with another person.

It's hard indeed to click, don't I know it! :kickingmyself:

But one good thing I find is that, since taking up running it's been good for the purpose of finding common ground with some of the husbands of my wife's friends. It doesn't mean that we suddenly become best of friends, but there is at least much to talk about there, which is helpful. :)

fupinthehead

well let me introduce myself i am a 28 years old woman with a 2 yrds old baby and a boyfriend. i think there is something wrong with me. i stop caring about everything about life. i am a mess i don't clean or cook i don't have a job all i do is sit in front of a tv all day. i don't know how to communicate with my boyfriend, i have a hard time expressing my feelings. i want to but word wont come out and when they do ppl misunderstand what i'm trying to say.. if i don't do something soon i will lose everything and everyone around me. an i also lie a lot so ppl don't find out about the real me. i am ashamed of myself. i need a friend or someone to talk and help me to get through this..

sprode

Hmm, I was bored and more bored of some other place and I logged in and it turned out I hadn't been here in almost two years. Not that anyone would know but my how time flies. I didn't want to start a thread and I don't know where I'll go but I've got nowhere else to go. I find it really impossible to communicate on a human level. In some ways I must have changed but in many I am the same, being almost two years older. But listen to me prattle on about nothing in particular - I'm very tired, you see, and I've not much to say.

Srijita52

well let me introduce myself i am a 28 years old woman with a 2 yrds old baby and a boyfriend. i think there is something wrong with me. i stop caring about everything about life. i am a mess i don't clean or cook i don't have a job all i do is sit in front of a tv all day. i don't know how to communicate with my boyfriend, i have a hard time expressing my feelings. i want to but word wont come out and when they do ppl misunderstand what i'm trying to say.. if i don't do something soon i will lose everything and everyone around me. an i also lie a lot so ppl don't find out about the real me. i am ashamed of myself. i need a friend or someone to talk and help me to get through this..

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can talk to your boyfriend about it, if you're having a hard time communicating, maybe you can write about your problems and show him. Also I personally think it never hurts to see a therapist. Good luck.

Ferdinandus

Hi all,

My name is Fernando. I am Brazilian. I see you all are from English speaking countries - only natural, since it's this forum's language. My native language is Portuguese, but I can handle most Western European languages with ease.
In some ways, I consider myself a privileged person. Born to an immigrant Italian/Lithuanian family, I've always had everything: a good family, an awesome house, perfect health, good financial situation, since my family is one of the pioneers family of a certain southern Brazil region. People always say how I am attractive and tall. I'm not boasting here. My point is... I seem to have everything to succeed in life - I've always wanted to be a Diplomat, and I am studying to become one right now -, but... my social problem always gets in the way. I think about suicide in a daily basis. And I don't want to burden my family and friends with my problems.
Social anxiety hits me throughout the day, especially before going to College. I'm doing a double major, and it's hell on earth for me having to class everyday. I am good student, have a number of articles published, but I don't have many friends and am almost always alone. I don't want people to think I am arrogant or conceited. But I feel that they do. As if they thought, 'he is too superior to talk to us'. If they only knew I can't talk to them.
I've been with some girls, but I only managed because I was drunk. The alcohol enabled me to talk to them. But I can't do this anymore. It's exhausting and a filthy lie.
I've had great opportunities to be with some amazing women, but I often waste them, because of my fears and stupidity. Frustrations add up.
In the end, nothing matters to me anymore. Why would I want a successful life? I don't give a s**** about being rich, professionally successful, if I am to have this miserable life. Frustration will consume me as fire, and I will eventually burn down to the ground.

Srijita52

^Welcome to the forum Fernando. I understand how frustrating social anxiety can be. I hope things get better with you. I'm not from an English speaking country either btw.