A Celebrity who genuinely has Social Anxiety

knowlife

maybe steve martin. when people talk about him, they mention that he is really quiet and awkward but turns on the funny when the cameras get going. nowadays he could be hiding behind a banjo 'cause c'mon, how many people wanna know about the lumpin' banjo?

recluse

I have never understood how performers can have social anxiety but anyway;

Michael Jackson
Eminem
Eddy
Cher
Trent Reznor
Johnny Depp
James Dean was pretty shy, i saw a biopic of him and he mentioned in the fim that he wanted to act because ''i don't talk to well''

dancingintherain

I think Johnny Depp does. Here's one of his quotes :

"When I was in a social situation, I was nervous and uncomfortable. The only way I could get through it was to drink my guts out. I wasted a lot of years."

R3K

i follow mma pretty closely and have seen a lot of his interviews... he was a guest on Inside MMA once and watching him respond (or not) to questions was agonizing. when he's fighting/training he's alive and social with his training partners, but definately a fish out of water when you drag him in front of a camera. he prob has SA or AVPD... he was always getting in fights in school and learned how to respond hostilely to nearly everything, so, he clearly despises interviews where he's expected to be polite, cordial and articulate

Phoenixx

Not really a celebrity, but I know Meg White from The White Stripes had issues with anxiety. According to Wikipedia:

On September 11, 2007 the White Stripes announced the cancellation of 18 tour dates due to Meg's suffering from acute anxiety problems. Following this, the duo cancelled the remainder of their 2007 tour dates including their scheduled tour of the UK.

Poor girl. ::(: She's really talented. It kind of makes me wonder if her anxiety played a part in the band's breakup last year...?

AGR

dont know, Nick Diaz strikes me as just that he doesnt like the camera on his face,doesnt strikes me as a guy who is stuck on his room or has problems interacting with people,anyway great fighter saw his fights since his first run in the ufc,the reason he didnt go to some press conferences:
Afroman - Because I Got High - YouTube

Lol jk

gustavofring

Really, Johnny Depp? He doesn't seem to have any form of SA

Depp avoids seeing his own movies. Lives in France and has his own private island.

But he definately managed to turn his shyness into quirky coolness and has a great sense of humor. From what I can tell from interviews.

Another actor who I think may have had Anxiety (not sure if social) is Heath Ledger. He always seemed quite nervous in interviews.

cowboyup

i dont get how actors have SA, cant they just act confident?

Yes it would seem that way. I used to work for a casting director/talent agent and when we do auditions and cold reads for our actors, you would be surprised at how many actors have SAD or GAD or even full blown panic attacks. Being that I have SAD/GAD myself, and having gone to auditions myself, Yes, I was terrified beyond belief and all those what ifs are magnified to the nth degree, but funny enough, once I memorized lines, got to audition, read the lines (yes in front of ppl) I became this "other person" - hard to describe and yes of course the SA doesn't magically go away but it's like it is ok and even a rewarding feeling to even for a moment be someone else. WEird I know...