A Celebrity who genuinely has Social Anxiety

powerfulthoughts

The MMA Fighter Nick Diaz clearly has a form of social anxiety disorder. Look at every one of his interviews. He can't ever look at the interviewer in the eye, he stammers and stutters, and he is breathing heavily constantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaLh0zyWKc

He fights and is in public, but you can tell he is very insecure in interviews and press conferences. It's really interesting to see a celebrity go through what I can relate to so strongly.

Last edited:

GhastlyCC

Tim Burton has talked about how he always had a hard time communicating with people and has always been socially awkward.
And inspiration for characters like Edward Scissorhands and his interpretation Batman(Well....Bruce Wayne more accurately) were pulled from his own feelings.

Last edited:

this_portrait

I believe Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails struggled with social anxiety at one point in his career. Pretty sure it was when he was working on The Downward Spiral. There's quite a few articles about it on the web.

montejocarlo

The MMA Fighter Nick Diaz clearly has a form of social anxiety disorder. Look at every one of his interviews. He can't ever look at the interviewer in the eye, he stammers and stutters, and he is breathing heavily constantly.

it is possible that he has SA. but it could also be something else. not all SAD sufferers would stammer or avoid people's eyes when communicating. they're not automatic indications. if he does though, i think he's really brave.

Roman Legion

I think Gerry Rafferty had it as well.. I remember seeing a video where he was at an award ceremony in the UK and he walked up in a manner you could see he was uncomfortable, grabbed his award, made no eye contact with anyone and walked back to his seat.. If only I could find that video.. ::(:

powerfulthoughts

it is possible that he has SA. but it could also be something else. not all SAD sufferers would stammer or avoid people's eyes when communicating. they're not automatic indications. if he does though, i think he's really brave.

Yeah, I don't think anyone suffers SA in exactly the same way. As this guy got higher up in the fighting ranks, he had to start doing more media, press conferences and interviews. In almost all of his public speaking events, he has looked extremely uncomfortable and almost never makes eye contact, especially in his earlier interviews. Although eye contact is not always a symptom of SA, many times it is.

And I agree that he seems brave for having SA. Sometimes bravery means being at your most uncomfortable, and simply doing it any way, because you have to. Although, this guy Nick Diaz missed out on a championship fight not too long ago, because he didn't show up to a pre-fight press conference. After that his Manager Cesar Gracie, told an interviewer that he thinks Diaz has a deeply ingrained social anxiety. And from all the info I've read on him and videos i've watched, there's no question in my mind that he does have some form of social anxiety disorder.

Plus I live in the same town as him and actually went to high school with him, so maybe there's something in the air here. :confused:

Last edited:

Vampayah88

Kristen Stewart, she's one of the most awkward actresses I've ever seen, in interviews, on stage, while presenting something..

Newtype

The one who suffers the most from it is Kim Basinger. It's pretty much the reason Alec Baldwin left her. Notice how you never see her on TV.

Gaucho

25 Minutes With Nick Diaz - YouTube

here is another video of nick diaz. he is probably depressed and has defenitly SA, and probably other psychological problems. I sort of talk like him, but not as extreme. Im pretty sure he starts a sentence and then he relizes that he can't find the right words, so he stops the sentence and starts again, and this over and over agin. happens with me.

the clear part starts at 12 min or so

pop-princess

Kim Basinger, the actress who played Eminem's mom on the movie 8 mile. She has social anxiety disorder.

I'm surprised she did those erotic sex scenes in the movie "9 and a half weeks" ::p:

Richey Edwards (the guy on my avatar) probably had SA among many other psychological problems. I can relate to a lot of the stuff he said in interviews (he was such a perfectionist). He also had few friends and never had a relationship.

Iluv

I read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe, despite her seemingly outgoing persona, was a very shy and nervous human. I don't know about social anxiety but I believe she was shy.

mikebird

Banned
It's helpful to see.

I thought anyone from America would have a big, bold character of superman.

Any sportstar from €urope being interviewed seems a bit anxious - they must be under pressure to be fluent in 10 languages. Nick is lucky he can speak English!

I had a good equivalent interview yesterday, having a CV review. I'm told I don't listen to the questions or answer them. This is what EVERY interviewer ALWAYS says to me. Maybe I tend to talk over people, with a pretend boldness, wanting to say what I want to. I get rattly and nervous at interview. Questions are invasive. I wouldn't ask anyone the colour of their underwear.

Maybe Nick gets nervous because he'd like to vent his frustration at the people, striking out, and knows he shouldn't. I feel like that under scrutiny. The shakiness happens to me because I have to keep calm.

dyingtolive

im a big fan of nick diaz.. the social anxiety is apparent, though another thing is he really is a bad ass and he isnt afraid of dissing anyone. Hes quite enigmatic and that adds to why im a fan. reminds of me of rodman or similar peeps

bsammy

Ricky Williams, running back in the NFL has social anxiety..has taken many different scripted meds and claims none of them have helped him as much as marijuana..he has been suspended twice for marijuana.

there is a pitcher in the MLB that recently had to take a leave for his social anxiety it has gotten so bad..doesnt look like he will return anytime soon, hes been out for over a year, ruined his career..