planemo

Oh yes, people think I'm exceptionally rude since my anxiety makes me purposefully ignore them. Obviously i don't mean to be rude, but when i don't meet and greet the way I'm expected to, i can see why people do think that.

laure15

Yes my anxiety does make me look rude. Sometimes people say "hi" in my direction and I wonder if they're talking to me or somebody else near me so I just didn't respond. I think to myself "who the heck wants to talk to an unsocial nobody like me?" I think it's probably better for people to just ignore me because it would save them all the heartbreak and pain.

Nanita

Yes, yes and yes. I seem rude, arrogant, like a snob. And maybe I am arrogant in some ways, like sometimes I really don´t care about what people are talking about, or I find their hobbies or lives uninteresting. But I actually really want to be nice, it´s just very difficult for me to make people feel good or comfortable; I´m too nervous and that comes across as arrogant and rude. And if someone asks me somthing, I answer weird things, because I´m so awkward.

theoutsider

This happens to me a lot. In my old neighborhood, some of my neighbors used to like to sit outside and socialize. I would come home from work, wave at them and quickly continue into the house. If they seemed to want to talk to me, I would talk for maybe 2 minutes before my anxiety would get the best of me and I would go inside. Currently, one of my co-workers seems to want to be friends. Every time I look up from my work, it seems he's looking in my direction. This makes me nervous so I usually ignore him even when he's in close proximity.

Lou-s-Darkness

The correct answer is yes (in my case)...unfortunately. I do strike others as rude and cold, but it's my anxiety's doing not me!

It's not like they know it's my anxiety, so I don't blame them jumping to conclusions.

Odo

Banned
I am often rude to people because my anxiety makes it harder to deal with them... sometimes I'll be talking to someone and it will be taking soooo much effort to keep the conversation going and eventually I'll feel the need to get out of there, so at that point I won't really care about anything besides finding relief.

Sometimes it's hard to muster up any energy or smile for people as well.

Hoppy

I am never rude.

The social people who keep on interrupting me when I try to be alone or read are the rude ones.

And I always want to give them lots of time to be alone. Why can't they do the same to me?

coyote

I am never rude.

The social people who keep on interrupting me when I try to be alone or read are the rude ones.

And I always want to give them lots of time to be alone. Why can't they do the same to me?

they don't want to be alone

and they can't understand why you would want to be

Story of my life. Once when I was zoned out a coworker said bye to me and I was being my stupid self:

Me: "Wait... are you talking to me?"
Her: "No, I'm talking to the person behind you that just left."
Me: "Oh." nods
Her: "There is no one behind you."

Totally cringeworthy moment.

It sounds to me like are nervous about being talked to, I am too to a point. Most of the time I go out in daylight I wear mirrored sunglasses just so people won't talk to me. Back in the winter, I took my mother to the hospital to see my great-uncle. I didn't take my sunglasses off until we were in the middle of all my extended family and my mother made it a point to loudly say "Son, take those glasses off! People can't see your eyes". Later, as soon as we were walking out of the hospital I told her to never do that again, and I gently reminded her that I'm pushing 30 years old and if I want to wear sunglasses it's none of anyone else's business! I was so mad I couldn't stand it that she acted that way and made a scene but I kept my cool until we were alone and by then I had calmed down quite a bit so I wouldn't be yelling. I agree with the respecting your elders thing but I have a different relationship with mom. We get mad and yell at each other most of the time.