30+ Year old Avoidants, what is progress?

Thomasina

I am 44 years old and not diagnosed with anything but the descriptions of apd are descriptions of me, especially from the ages of about 15 to early 20s, during which time I felt unable to speak or function in many situations.

As my fear of becoming a hermit / bag lady / laughing stock seemed almost as bad as my fear of talking, I forced myself to study languages, which was one of the only things I felt good at, though obviously not bing able to speak is something of an inconvenience. I made myself do it so as to force myself into social situations, in the hope I would learn it, though I copped out a bit by choosing the degree course with the least emphasis on speech, doing literary options. I guess the fact that I managed to make myself do it shows that I was less afflicted than some, but daily life was hard, with constant failure/rejection. After a particularly bad rejection episode, I spent most of the last year avoiding spending time with others or myself, so to speak, but qualified on schedule.

Still trying to force myself to interact socially, I took a course in teaching English as a foreign language. It was a grammar-based scheme which fitted me: I could prepare exactly how I was going to interact with students in advance, and only had to venture into free conversation when I wanted. I even got some good feedback as a teacher and started to feel for the first time that I could do a job, and maybe even well. I could use the conversation-making skills I was practising to make conversation in real life too. At the same time I met a man who was attractive and talked a lot, and didn't seem to notice that I was weird. The ideal combination. Slight problem: if he thought I was nice (said my head) then he was an idiot, so there were some respect / self-esteem issues - but he even put up with me shouting at him. Over time I managed to cut it down and find a way to get on better, and we started a family.

I was still finding it hard to make friends - I had the conversation skills, but could only use them if we met up in a situation where I did not have to invite them and they did not have to like me: I would go to playgroups, for instance, but would not meet people outside the playgroup as that would give them the chance to reject me. My husband was OK as he was "family" now and I didn't think he would reject me - he was very expressive of his love. I found it hard to say it back to him, partly as I have a ridiculous fear (doesn't seem ridiculous to me of course!) that I am incapable of feeling love for anyone, even my mother or children. As a result I don't want to look at my feelings too closely, or when I do look into my heart I just see the fear rather than any love, which reinforces my belief. Not sure if that is apd or some other stupid symptom of something else. So for many years this has been the situation: few, not intimate friends and relying on a husband I felt I couldn't show much love.

Sounds kind of miserable, but it actually felt quite OK. Better than being a bag lady or hermit, that's for sure! And people seemed to be taking me seriously. I got the confidence to take a translating exam, and passed with a mark so good that I immediately thought it was set far easier than I had believed (I guess that does not sound strange on this forum :-D). I started working as a translator and had some success: I am now doing a serious job and earning OK money.

I wish I could say that it's a fairy-tale ending and I am progressing strongly but alas, the "expressing your love" thing has come back and bitten me. Last year my husband's mother died, and it made him reassess his life. He doesn't want to hurt me, but he thinks he'll be happier without me. It's been a hard year, as it took him a while to come out with it, and meanwhile his unfriendly behaviour made me think he'd "found me out". Found what out, I honestly don't know, but it all made sense somehow. So I reacted defensively, and as he had no idea that I had any social problems (slight lack of EI perhaps) he just saw me being nasty. In the end I felt desperate enough to reveal after 22 years together that he was my first boyfriend, and all the other details about my inner and social life that I had never told anyone, not even my mother. I was quite afraid that considering the bad atmosphere, he would think I was making it up to get attention / manipulate him (my guilt complex thinks he'd be right of course!)
but amazingly he believed it.

Still I think it is too late, as he doesn't love me any more. I'm facing having to split up and live alone (or with the kids) with basically zero social support. My parents and siblings live on the other side of Europe so I can visit at most once a year. I am a lot stronger now; I am managing to persuade my head that this is not something I deserve, and not proof of my general crapness. But my fight-or-flight feelings are all still there in the background, making it hard to keep nice for the kids. I feel I have no sense of judgement as to what is OK for me to put up with or where I should put my foot down.

So now, after 44 years of thinking I was dealing with it pretty well, and that I was making progress, I am starting to think that I should have got a diagnosis and outside help after all. It didn't help that the Internet hadn't been invented back then - I only found out about apd recently. As I say, no diagnosis, but if the things described there are not normal, then evidently something is not normal about me. Seems like if I'd had the guts to get therapy before, and not just thought I was muddling along OK, then I might not be facing divorce, the ultimate rejection. Maybe anyone who recognises this enough to get to the end of this epic post can learn from my experience!

Last edited:

bsammy

It doesn't get easier, it gets harder..

My advice to anyone here is to start trying things out between 20 and 30, get as much done as you can.

Regrets are horrible. To me it feels like an ongoing nightmare.[/QUOTE]

YES, even with self-acceptance, the life of an avoidant gets harder i many ways...i see people in their teens and 20s on here and can barely do much in terms of socializing and going out, and i stress to them that their late teens and early 20s are prime years of their life in terms of job and relationships!if you go through those years without accomplishing certain things or maintaining or starting friendships, youare in a world of hurt come your 30s and later..

i do have strong regrets but i also then realize i have a few nasty disorders, avoidance and dysthymia..these things are absolute life-stoppers imo..

dottie

@Thomasina That was very intimate, thanks for sharing. Although your experiences aren't identical to mine, your tendencies towards avoidance, motivations, and feelings are all too familiar... And "playing the game", your strategies for functioning for survival and seeming normalcy... I hope you post more.

Odo

Banned
Hi Thomasina,

It is definitely a lot harder to have SA and not know that it is... I don't have anything resembling the life that you have had, but knowing what SA is and being able to understand myself better because of that (and knowing I'm not just messed up or 'weird'), and knowing that other people have similar problems... has really helped me to get perspective on my failures and issues and to not beat myself up over them as much.

I think there's also a certain degree of pride involved with this kind of thing, and not being good with people seems to go hand in hand with being reluctant to ask for help and blaming yourself for your issues... I did this for quite some time now, and still can't quite shake the notion that if I had just done this or this or this then it would have all been much better and life would have allowed me to live up to my potential.

BUT life isn't over until you die, and no matter what anyone else says you are still in control of your actions and there are no universal rules that say you can't do what you've always wanted to do... if you're determined, you will be able to find a way.

hidwell

I'm of the opinion that progress = change and change is anxiety inducing and in me nearly always = avoidance and depression with strong feelings of suicide. So I guess I have accepted my many many limitations and just living life in the slow lane.

Thomasina

Anyone know if this kind of thing is meant to be inherited? If I look at my parents that Larkin poem comes to mind ... have never talked about anything with either of them, but despite both having children they aren't conventional; my mum definitely has something (paranoia, social anxiety, no self-esteem at all), and of two half-sisters and a brother only one sister is apparently free of anxiety.

One thing that has helped me is my dad's example, as he seems happy, with a loner job he still enjoys at 76 ... not sure he has any close friends as such but he has a geeky hobby that gives him respect and social events. From what my mum said he started out quite late; his parents thought he was "mad" until he was in his mid-20s, he married my mum at age 30.

I know my post could come across as if I don't know how lucky I am, having been able to *have* a reasonably functioning relationship at all, but I partly wanted to show how it might be possible, and partly that even if you think you are healthy enough to muddle through yourself, maybe you should get therapy anyway. I've got an appointment with the doctor on Thursday. The last time I tried visiting a doctor about this was back at university, and she gave me homeopathy pills. I don't believe in homeopathy so she might as well have given me a note saying "You're imagining it all love". Never went back! Let's hope the appointment goes better this time :-D

hidwell

Meant to be inherited ? The fact is mental health problems depression and anxiety run in families, my dad had major anxiety as did my grandmother and my Grandpa had Bi-Polar so when you have family history of said disorders the chance of offspring having mental health issues is quite high.

bsammy

Meant to be inherited ? The fact is mental health problems depression and anxiety run in families, my dad had major anxiety as did my grandmother and my Grandpa had Bi-Polar so when you have family history of said disorders the chance of offspring having mental health issues is quite high.

which brings us to the next question, should people like us reproduce?if there is a strong chance our kids may be defective, then why bother?i know for one i will never have kids..

Luckylife

Inherited? I think parents are probably the cause of it, that and cheap schooling. Mine were uncaring and violent - I fell over when I was 13 or 14 and hurt my elbow and my Dad said "Don't ever turn to me for help or affection" what an a*****e. I blame the swinging 60's for a lot of this. Drug addict couples having children they couldn't look after and committing hippy atrocities. Natch if they never gave the child any care or learning, then when they went to school they would be fairly wild but this would have been knocked out of them and before you know it, there's an Avoidant by the age of 15.

Last edited:

bsammy

^^good luck trying to find a cause or reason for why we are like this..each of us have parents that treated us differently..some of our parents were shy and others violent, you wont find any common themes imo...way too many variables, look at us that have brothers/sisters raised by same parents yet they are normal?

Thomasina

Larkin's poem says not to have any kids yourself, but it's the bleakest outlook, to match the rest of the poem.

Mine seem OK so far; their dad is not an anxious type and I feel I've managed more successfully than my own mum - and even she managed to produce one apparently non-faulty child. [insert fingers crossed smiley]

Having kids strikes me as very selfish. I can't understand the idea of being thanked for "the gift of life". For me having kids was an indulgence; I should thank them for the pleasure they give me, and apologise for making them have to take everything life throws at them.

I wouldn't criticise someone with, say, dwarfism who decided to have children that might inherit it, as dwarfism isn't inextricably linked with unhappiness. Passing on a condition that definitely makes you miserable seems worse. I'm not sure I'd have done it if I hadn't experienced a certain amount of happiness in my life. Though frankly, if you get the choice after years of thinking you'd never have the choice, that's a big temptation. Well done for anyone who sticks to their beliefs and resists.

BlueWeepingRose

I'm 31 years old and I still have such a horrible time trying to communicate with people or finding friends close to my age. Not much of a drinker so clubs are definitely out, I'm very new to this town and I still live with my family and I don't plan on moving out until I get myself together. As of right now I'm planning on seeing a therapist so I can get better and able to get myself out there. My whole life I've always been a loner; sometimes I enjoy being in solitude and other times I want to be around people. Than whenever I'm around people I'm not sure how to act or what to say cause I'm so afraid of them judging me. Sometimes I feel like a idiot around people and I feel so clueless sometimes too. :shyness:

bsammy

^^yes if you dont like drinking alcohol or the bar/club scene it makes things much more difficult to even get started socially..when you cancel those 2 main social events out, it really dwindles your choices...the only way ive known how to socialize in the past is by using alcohol or other drugs and then going out somewhere..i honestly cannot imagine doing it sober..where would you even start, the library?i guess it depends on your hobbies...

Thomasina

Than whenever I'm around people I'm not sure how to act or what to say cause I'm so afraid of them judging me.
...which makes them judge you even more, vicious circle. At around age 20 I would frequently not be able to speak in company. What can you do? You feel like an idiot, you know everyone else thinks you're an idiot, and once they know you don't talk, they make funny comments when you do...

Now I can talk but still find it stressful at first, and I still have a dislike of rejection which means I don't like to impose upon people by suggesting doing stuff together. So my strategy for so******ing right now is to join structured groups where you don't have to make free conversation if you don't want to, and where you know you are going to meet up in advance so there's no question of inviting anyone. I go to a monthly book club and a board games club. When I think about it that's exactly the same tactic my parents use: my dad goes rambling and to model railway events, and my mum goes bellringing. (This is a UK thing: you ring the bells at church services. I've been along and it is a bit of a geek club!) My brother lives in a hut in the woods with similarly minded people; they forage for and grow their own food.

The hard thing I find is staying at the clubs. I have highs and lows (probably hormonal thing) and during the high phase I join up for things, then hope I feel too embarrassed to bail out later if I am in a low phase. But at the moment for example some of the board game group are asking if I want to go out on Saturday, but I haven't dared answer the emails yet! Despite being in a high enough phase now to impose upon this forum by writing inappropriate long comments I will no doubt cringe about later.

bsammy

^^again, same thing here, i can start up a friendship or join a team and stay with it for a short time but i cant maintain them..either boredom sets in or i find the friendship or events too draining..hell im usually tired most of the time from work or exercise so doing 'additional' things usually has to have a pretty high reward, low effort scale to it and so far, i havent found that yet..

theoutsider

there seems to be many people in their teens or 20s on here talking about talking to girls or doing this or that but ive realized that making progress with avoidance disorder is much different in your 30s and in a different place in your life..im not sure if im getting worse with avoidance or better..i know know who i am much better but that doesnt help much..i can talk to people just fine, women it doesnt matter but still quite avoidant and really do not generall enjoy socializing..

ive realized that one night stands are pointless for me at this stage where they might have mattered much more in my teens..i also find that friendships are easy to start but almost impossible to maintain at this age..i really dont even bother to try to get into serious relationships so..

i dont know, any people around this age, are you still making progress or have you accepted who you are?if you are making progress, what is it?

I don't know if I'm making progress particularly. I have my good days and bad days. I just refuse to give up.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Im 29, the happiest Ive been recently was leaving my job to go to college (which sound odd if I declare myself as having APD) but still I just go to class then go home.
Out of curiosity, I saw a couple posts talking about people feeling like their youth is behind them at 30 or 33 or whatever, like I said Im 29 but I still feel (intellectually and physically) like Im 20 or 21, am I just going to hit a giant age wall in another year? It feels odd to me to think "Im 30 and therefore old"

bsammy

^^i dont know about hitting a giant 'age wall' but when you reach 30 and above, you will realize when you talk to peers that they have lived and done many things that you SHOULD have already done..there are certain things you should accomplish in late teenage and early 20s that simply cannot be made up for at a later age..once certain milestones are missed, thats it..you can try and make them up but it feels silly and pointless.. if you have lived a very avoidant lifestyle and you talk or hang out with 'normal' people then you will almost feel like an alien being in terms of experiences or lack thereof..

30 isnt old necessarily bits its a much different time comp[ared to teens and 20s..i wish someone could explain this better than i atm lol..

bsammy

^^well good lol..which brings me to ask, the only way for an avoidant to succeed or even blend in without a ton of effort socially is to hang around other social misfits or avoidants..do any of you go to group meetings for avoidants or similar people?i wonder how that would work if such groups even exist?