Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2011
lurknomore's Avatar
Super Moderator
Elite User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 1,500
Thanked 0 Times
lurknomore lurknomore is offline
Super Moderator
Elite User
lurknomore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 1,500
Thanked 0 Times
This is an idea that I've stolen from another forum- only in that one it was "you might be AvPD if..."-I think it could be fun here- it's like the Jeff Foxworthy routine of "you might be a redneck if..."- and you could substitute something else for "socially anxious" if you want-like "Avpd," "OCD," "depressed," etc. I'll start us off with a few to get things going.

(as a teenager)... if your parents ground you by not letting you go out for two months, but it doesn't change anything in your life.

... if your goal at a party is to arrive as late and leave as early as possible without being rude (or noticed).


... if you don't know the names of either of your next door neighbors - and you've lived in the same place for years.

... if you finished college over 2 years ago (with a Master's degree) and haven't even applied for a job for almost 2 years because the thought of having to come up with references (can't think of any) and explain why you've been in minimum wage jobs without advancing even a little ties your stomach in knots.

... if someone calls your name in a crowd and you automatically ignore it assuming that they can't possibly be talking to you- someone else must have your same first name- finding out later that they were calling you and you blatantly ignored them.

... if you don't know that someone is hitting on you unless they make it really obvious... and even then, it doesn't register until later- "Why did he want to borrow my phone and put his number in it? Oh..." *doh* "Too bad I never call people... "
lurknomore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
planemo's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,501
Thanked 31 Times
planemo planemo is offline
Elite User
planemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,501
Thanked 31 Times
Hey great thread idea lurknomore

Quote:
... if someone calls your name in a crowd and you automatically ignore it assuming that they can't possibly be talking to you- someone else must have your same first name- finding out later that they were calling you and you blatantly ignored them.
yeah that's so true...

You might be socially anxious...

... if you pretend to have face blindness, when in fact you never, ever forget a face, and thus pretend you weren't aware that someone you know just walked by.

... if you feel someone has just switched on a spotlight to enhance your presence in a crowded room.

... if you take a longer route when walking to avoid bumping into people you know.

... if you feel great about yourself as you're leaving the house to go out, but return home feeling really depressed and full of self loathing.

... if you start avoiding the person you have a crush on (as opposed to pursuing them)
planemo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
RNB's Avatar
RNB RNB is offline
Newbie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 33
Thanked 0 Times
RNB RNB is offline
Newbie User
RNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 33
Thanked 0 Times
...if you are in a situation where people are randomly selecting people to answer a question and you know at some point you are going to be asked

...if the person you have a crush on is waiting your table

...if the person you have a crush on says high in FB

...if you finally get the guts to ask the person you have a crush on out and they say there not interested

and

now this person knows you like them so every time you them it gets worse
RNB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
Invisibleman's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,088
Thanked 0 Times
Invisibleman Invisibleman is offline
Elite User
Invisibleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,088
Thanked 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
...if you are in a situation where people are randomly selecting people to answer a question and you know at some point you are going to be asked

...if the person you have a crush on is waiting your table

...if the person you have a crush on says high in FB

...if you finally get the guts to ask the person you have a crush on out and they say there not interested

and

now this person knows you like them so every time you them it gets worse
Ive been there haha
...if theres a street you avoid because thats your crushes street
...you avoid the store that your crush works at
...you avoid multiple stores that your crushes friends work at
...you avoid the YMCA because your crushes father works thereXD
... you love videogames but avoid ebgames because an acquaintance works there and you dont want small talk...
man im lame haha
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
MaliceInWickedland's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,625
Thanked 0 Times
MaliceInWickedland MaliceInWickedland is offline
Elite User
MaliceInWickedland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,625
Thanked 0 Times
You might be socially anxious...

...if you spend more time talking to people on the internet than in real life.

...if you have more friends on the internet than in real life.

...if people always think you look pissed off/upset even though you have a normal expression.

...if you stare at/play with your phone in an awkward situation so that you don't have to look at anyone.

...if you leave your phone off all the time in fear of having to answer a call.
MaliceInWickedland is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
vexatiousmind's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: far far away
Posts: 584
Thanked 0 Times
vexatiousmind vexatiousmind is offline
Expert User
vexatiousmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: far far away
Posts: 584
Thanked 0 Times
- You get ready for something hours in advance, just so you can sit around and prepare yourself for being around people.
-You never raise your hand in class, even though you know the answer.
- You have to carry around mouthwash and pepto, because your stomach gets upset from being anxious. :(
-If after you say something people look away, ans stop talking.
-You never answer the door
-You put your earphones in even when you are not listening to music, to keep people from talking to you.
vexatiousmind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
Phoenixx's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,969
Thanked 14 Times
Phoenixx Phoenixx is offline
Elite User
Phoenixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,969
Thanked 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexatiousmind View Post
-You never raise your hand in class, even though you know the answer.
^ This. Whenever a teacher asked a question, usually they'd look in my direction, because they just know that I know the answer. I never raised my hand, no matter how many times the teacher looked at me. Even with hands up, sometimes the teacher would call my name. I always dreaded that moment, just wanted to run out of the room.


To add to the list:
... you have a mini heart attack every time someone knocks on the door.
... you spend at least an hour or more to work up the courage just to call someone you don't know.
... you lurk on this website for a week or more before making an account. I remember I was here for two weeks just reading posts before I finally worked up the courage to make an account.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluouslyme View Post
Some people just have sticks up their asses.
and some have eels
"Don't be pushed by your problems, be lead by your dreams." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Carl Bard

Randominities
Phoenixx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
Metal_isthe_Answer's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 555
Thanked 4 Times
Metal_isthe_Answer Metal_isthe_Answer is offline
Expert User
Metal_isthe_Answer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 555
Thanked 4 Times
Three of the ones by the T/C are true about me
__________________
If you're hungry, eat!
Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece
Metal_isthe_Answer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
JamesSmith's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 851
Thanked 0 Times
JamesSmith JamesSmith is offline
Expert User
JamesSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 851
Thanked 0 Times
If you (me) have no friends and no g/f. Mine's pretty obvious.
JamesSmith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
Metal_isthe_Answer's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 555
Thanked 4 Times
Metal_isthe_Answer Metal_isthe_Answer is offline
Expert User
Metal_isthe_Answer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 555
Thanked 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
... you love videogames but avoid ebgames because an acquaintance works there and you dont want small talk...
man im lame haha
...you love video games but dont play online multiplayer because thats too much human interaction
...you have three months off and go outside maybe only a dozen times
__________________
If you're hungry, eat!
Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece
Metal_isthe_Answer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011
BlueDays's Avatar
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,631
Thanked 263 Times
BlueDays BlueDays is offline
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
BlueDays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,631
Thanked 263 Times
....you live a 5 minute walk away from a beautiful beach, but it's been over a year since you've been to the beach.
BlueDays is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
megalon's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 644
Thanked 2 Times
megalon megalon is offline
Expert User
megalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 644
Thanked 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_isthe_Answer View Post
...you love video games but dont play online multiplayer because thats too much human interaction
This. You can be as anonymous as you want with online gaming, but it doesn't make a difference in my SA.
__________________
Some men die under the mountain just lookin' for gold.
Some die lookin' for a hand to hold.
megalon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Newbie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Thanked 0 Times
jujitsusam jujitsusam is offline
Newbie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Thanked 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurknomore View Post
This is an idea that I've stolen from another forum- only in that one it was "you might be AvPD if..."-I think it could be fun here- it's like the Jeff Foxworthy routine of "you might be a redneck if..."- and you could substitute something else for "socially anxious" if you want-like "Avpd," "OCD," "depressed," etc. I'll start us off with a few to get things going.

(as a teenager)... if your parents ground you by not letting you go out for two months, but it doesn't change anything in your life.

... if your goal at a party is to arrive as late and leave as early as possible without being rude (or noticed).


... if you don't know the names of either of your next door neighbors - and you've lived in the same place for years.

... if you finished college over 2 years ago (with a Master's degree) and haven't even applied for a job for almost 2 years because the thought of having to come up with references (can't think of any) and explain why you've been in minimum wage jobs without advancing even a little ties your stomach in knots.

... if someone calls your name in a crowd and you automatically ignore it assuming that they can't possibly be talking to you- someone else must have your same first name- finding out later that they were calling you and you blatantly ignored them.

... if you don't know that someone is hitting on you unless they make it really obvious... and even then, it doesn't register until later- "Why did he want to borrow my phone and put his number in it? Oh..." *doh* "Too bad I never call people... "
if you have a word document full of excuses not to go to a party ;_)
jujitsusam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Srijita52's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,323
Thanked 1 Time
Srijita52 Srijita52 is offline
Elite User
Srijita52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,323
Thanked 1 Time
.....if you're getting poor grades in class simply because you're to scared to do group projets or ask for help

....if you run out of things to talk to ppl even on the internet

...if you can't maintain a friendsip cos you're too afraid to call your friends
Srijita52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Invisibleman's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,088
Thanked 0 Times
Invisibleman Invisibleman is offline
Elite User
Invisibleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,088
Thanked 0 Times
...if your scared to answer the phone,even when you know its a family member
...if somebody knocks and you pretend youre not home,even though they know you are.
...if you bring your cellphone with you just so you can have something to fiddle with if somebody tries to talk to you. <I have a cellphone and have never used it,I have no friends so I have no reason to use it but I take it because of this
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Sprunk's Avatar
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 145
Thanked 0 Times
Sprunk Sprunk is offline
Intermediate User
Sprunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 145
Thanked 0 Times
You would rather have a beer at home alone than go to a pub with colleagues after work
Sprunk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Expert User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 520
Thanked 0 Times
Vampayah88 Vampayah88 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 520
Thanked 0 Times
...if you find yourself searching on google ”how to make friends”
...if you dread having to go pay the bills, doing grocery etc.
...if you are uncomfortable in a group because you feel like you have nothing to say and cant make conversation
...if you ask yourself why is it so easy for everyone around you to just talk about anything and everything, all coming naturally to them while conversation for you seems more like a struggle.
...if you spend way too much time on the internet during your free time instead of going out and having fun like all the other normal people, not necesarilly because you want to, but simply because you have nothing else to do and no one to spend your time with/hang out with.
Vampayah88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Amelie08's Avatar
Newbie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times
Amelie08 Amelie08 is offline
Newbie User
Amelie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times
...if you cant dare to make your dreams come true bcs of the annoying thoughts on your mind, even if u are able to do it..
...if it bothers you and makes you really feel bad , that a boy’s acting like liking you..
...if you control yourself all the time to not to make any mistake even walking on the road.
...if you always avoid from meeting new people.And if you have to meet, ...if you suffer to this.
Amelie08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
Merel's Avatar
Newbie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: northern new england
Posts: 51
Thanked 0 Times
Merel Merel is offline
Newbie User
Merel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: northern new england
Posts: 51
Thanked 0 Times
...when someone compliments you and you think it’s a lie.

...when you try to make plans with somewhat distant friends but flake on them a couple hours before, and they gradually fade out your life thinking you dislike them.

...it gets briefly mentioned at work/school that you’re going to have to do a presentation in the future, and every morning even after the day you feel panic that they’re going to spring on you and tell you it’s the day and you'll be unprepared. You want to ask when it is, but fear that bringing it up to your boss/teacher will remind him or her that you have to do one.

...you can’t be around children because it’s hard for you to hold conversation, act interested or even enthusiastic toward them.

...you start choking up, become entirely inarticulate, and seem to forget your own name when in a classroom or work environment a teacher or manager announces that there will be an “icebreaker” or tells you to introduce yourself

...you start to feel uneasy when a fellow driver in the other lane next to you at a stoplight starts staring at you.

...you have a dining plan at school and still have 70 meals left at the end of the semester because you were too afraid to eat in front of other people or go at very common times when the good food and everyone is there.

...you’re a female engineering major, surrounded by guys but can’t muster the courage to talk to a single one, as a result you have no boyfriend nor a single guy friend...

Last edited by Merel; 11-07-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Merel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011
simpsons2007's Avatar
Expert User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the gutter
Posts: 873
Thanked 0 Times
simpsons2007 simpsons2007 is offline
Expert User
simpsons2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the gutter
Posts: 873
Thanked 0 Times
You're constantly ignored when you try to talk
__________________
"What you destroy today. You might regret tomorrow".

"I may never get what I want. But I'm happy to just die trying".

"To die you have to live and to live you have to die".
simpsons2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what age of person are you most socially anxious to? dancingintherain Social Anxiety Forum 22 09-13-2011 08:15 PM
Socially Anxious Sadist Lowlight Personal Stories 3 08-04-2011 01:14 AM
The Socially Anxious DJ Competition djaa1978 Off-Topic 2 01-23-2010 04:47 AM
Socially anxious bisexual/lesbian needs help. _talon Adults Only 2 09-30-2008 06:34 PM
Shy vs. Socially Anxious biathanatos Shyness Forum 5 05-26-2005 06:48 AM

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
Contact Us Privacy