Your school experience?

Silatuyok

I didn't like going to regular schools, even though I was a really good student. I was homeschooled in first grade and seventh grade, and I much preferred having the privacy and the freedom to learn at my own pace, in my own environment. However, when I did get back into public school in eighth grade, I seemed to have lost any and all ability to make friends. ::(: A skill which I never regained. Bad timing I guess.

MikeyC

I remember the good teachers as people who seemed to be kind and nurturing, and I generally did well in their classes.
I guess this comes down to the teacher. I remember there were some nice teachers and there were some grouches. I generally didn't have a problem with the grouchy teachers because I was a fairly good student.

However, when I did get back into public school in eighth grade, I seemed to have lost any and all ability to make friends. ::(: A skill which I never regained. Bad timing I guess.
I'm sorry to hear that. I think you've regained it now. I'm your friend.

Well, as for me, my school experience was overall a complete disaster. Primary school I was blessed with good intelligence, but not blessed with bullying from the same guy that stayed up until year 10. It didn't get to me as much back then as it did later on. I seem to have enjoyed school a little bit then, as I was interested in learning and I was quite conscientious. One thing I will take from primary school is my uncanny ability to spell...I don't know why I can do that so well, but I am unusually good at that.

High school was poor. Years 7 and 8 were alright, particularly 8, and then in year 9 it all feel apart and my life took a turn for the worse ever since. Depression hit and I spent the following 4 years barely surviving. By year 10, while still being a good student, I had become very disinterested in learning from all the depression I was suffering and my grades slipped. Once I did my HSC (Higher School Certificate) I cared so little about grades that I half-heartedly completed my exams and got a UAI (University Admission Index) so low it was barely worth the effort and pen ink to complete the exams. I've been scraping through life ever since and the depression from the bullying and psychological taunting has never left me.

I blame my schooling, high school in particular for much of my anxiety and confidence issues i face today.

now i have always been a shy kid so there is an element of genetics there but high school was the major trigger for setting off severe SAD in the end. if i had of been home schooled im 100% sure i would only be half as bad as i am now. As my school had a particular bad rep, i have likened the experience somewhat to being incarcerated..always having to watch your back, agression and violence everywhere you turn, bullying and intimidation, having to go around in groups to feel safe and feeling vulnerable on your own...teachers having little to no control in some classes, a living nightmare much of the time.

WeirdyMcGee

I did terrible in school until grade 4.
And by terrible, I mean a C average... and I was in special classes for being overly sensitive and having dyslexia/dyscalculia.
I don't remember if I had any very good or bad teachers, as I remember very little from that far back. Just being bullied; but that continued until the end of highschool.

My teacher in grade 4 spent alot of extra time with me and discovered that I had a grade 13 reading level.
From that year onward, somehow things were so much easier - no matter what teachers I had. My average was top of the class until I became agoraphobic in grade 10 and stopped coming to school.
Teachers in highschool were wonderful. A couple old grumps but for the most part, the teachers were cool...
that may only be because they liked me, though.
I was well liked by teachers and authority figures without being a brown noser. haha-- and then disliked by everyone else.

Instructors in college were flaky to say the least.
Most of them had jobs in film and would only show up to one lecture every month to grade assignments and hand out new ones.
Attendance didn't matter, except in ONE class... the most BORING class... ughhhh...

Anyway... I found school too easy but I think I prefer things to be easy.
I've never been one who was attracted to difficult things.
I don't work well under pressure.
I don't seek challenges for fun.
I guess I'm kind of lazy.
If I had the money, I'd have finished college - horrible instructors or not... because it was easy and I knew exactly what I was doing.. and it was something I liked.
It used to be my dream.
Now I have no dream.

MikeyC

dyscalculia.
Had to look this up. That's unfortunate, but according to Wikipedia this affects 3-6% of the population. That's quite a high rate! I guess that shows you're not alone, if that helps any.

My teacher in grade 4 spent alot of extra time with me and discovered that I had a grade 13 reading level.
That's fantastic! No wonder you found school to be quite easy when you're absolutely cruising with your reading abilities. People are still learning how to tie their shoelaces and you're reading To Kill A Mockingbird like it ain't no thing.

If I had the money, I'd have finished college - horrible instructors or not... because it was easy and I knew exactly what I was doing.. and it was something I liked.
It used to be my dream.
Now I have no dream.
This is super sad. I'm sorry. ::(:

MikeyC

high school was the major trigger for setting off severe SAD in the end.
As my school had a particular bad rep, i have likened the experience somewhat to being incarcerated..always having to watch your back, agression and violence everywhere you turn, bullying and intimidation, having to go around in groups to feel safe and feeling vulnerable on your own...teachers having little to no control in some classes, a living nightmare much of the time.
Was your high school really that bad? That's unfortunate and it's no wonder you developed social anxiety if you had to grow up thinking someone was going to attack you.

WeirdyMcGee

That's fantastic! No wonder you found school to be quite easy when you're absolutely cruising with your reading abilities. People are still learning how to tie their shoelaces and you're reading To Kill A Mockingbird like it ain't no thing.
haha~ just thought I should clarify a bit-- the reading level is based on having a capacity for words.
As single words go, I can read and spell very well, but you throw a sequence of words into sentences- into paragraphs- into walls of text and I cannot understand a bit of it.
My brain gets everything confused.

I've never read a book from start to finish and was able to actually comprehend and understand it as a whole.
I can skim and get the basic idea of what's going on; read an entire book in 45 minutes and ace a quiz or write a book report, but I'll never be able to be immersed in a story the way people who enjoy reading are.

I read because I must.
To communicate.
It's very difficult for me to understand anything being said, though.

MikeyC

Ah, okay, I understand what you mean. I suppose that's where the dyslexia comes into play. That sucks big time, Weirdy. It's still quite an achievement to have such an advanced skill in reading and writing, though. Not many people can say that about themselves.

Kiwong

My school experience was very bad. It destroyed my self esteem and ability to trust people. I gave up on my favourite sport of running something I still regret. I realise that my social anxiety started at high school, although it manifests in different way now.

My school left me with the belief I was not capable of doing well study. Five years later I topped my university course, which dispelled that myth.

Last edited:

MercySparx

I was horrible student until I got kicked out beginning of grade 11. School was a nightmare, due to my anxiety until I was put on medication in grade 8. Then I got a little TOO social which resulted in my expulsion. Also I just wasn't interested in what they were teaching. Once I got older and gained maturity and motivation I learned I really adore school, I excelled when I went back at 18. I'm starting University in January and I am pumped.

Apersonalan

On record it shows I skipped 155 days of school in one year but mostly I came late, the reaction was the only highlight for me.

KiaKaha

Banned
I was doing ok with school until I had to go to high school. From there I put up with a lot of bullying and isolation from the other students... so much in fact that I hardly ever went (especially in the last two years).. I dropped out and left as soon as I was able. I didnt learn a damn thing because I hated it so much. I dont have any fond memories of school and I am glad its in my past. Good riddance.

MercySparx

I was lucky, I went to an Arts highschool. We really had minimal bullying. It just wasn't put up with there from the other students. Different mindset I suppose. Everyone that went there was different and creative, and it we encouraged one another to express our uniqueness.

Kinetik

I had a decent time in school. The other kids liked me, and I got along fine with all of them. It's just that I isolated myself as often as I could and never wanted to hang out or do anything after school - I always wanted to rush straight home in order to recharge. I was something of a joker, and I was never bullied. As far as grades, I got my highest ones in languages, and my worst in math and science.

It started getting bad starting high school. In grade 7 and 8 I had anxiety but I still had friends. grade 9 was horrible. I had no friends and had horrible grades. I spent my lunch hours eating lunch at home. In grade 11 I moved to a different high school and it was bad too. Because I had no friends, I skipped a lot but my grades were still pretty decent. At the start of grade 12 (september 2010), my anxiety and depression got so bad that I was hospitalized for a month and now I attend a "special" small school for people with mental illness.

LifeInternal88

So sorry to hear some of your experiences. Really, you are so strong for surviving.

I had no bullies, was a good student, and had some people to hang out with. I think my issue is entirely genetic because nothing bad happened in school or at home or anywhere else for that matter. There is something in me that makes me unable to connect with people.

Bo592

Elementary was Ok I had plenty friends. But when I got in to middle school that when my life started to fall apart. I started to feel left out of everything. that was were I learn about popular and the unpopular people and how unfair thing was, I was kind of smart but not around people they made me to nerves to thank striaght. I hated it when people told me about me not talking alot because I did not want to believe it .

megalon

As far as friends are concerned, I didn't have any, but I didn't have any enemies either. I had "friendly acquaintances" from all the usual high school cliques so I was never bullied.
Grade-wise I was always just getting by because of my refusal to do any homework. I was always the guy who never studied for a single second, then came in and aced the tests, especially in sciences. I resent the fact that students that were not as intelligent as me got better grades because they worked harder. Education is supposed to be about learning, so a grade should be an indication of how much you know, not how hard you're willing to work. I could prove that I knew the subject matter without homework, so why should I have to do it? I think the grades should be based on tests and nothing else. End of rant. My INTJ personality is showing.

Last edited:

polishgirl

I'm in High School right now. I feel so immature around here, sorry for that. Anyway, in Poland the educational system itself sucks. Instead of motivation, teachers tend to tell us we are stupid, that we won't be able to do anything and scare us about failing everything. We have 17 subjects per semester and it's a living hell. I go to a very good school and so I really have a lot of work, especially now.
But the high school itself, as if the society, is a place I really like. Unlike in the USA (that's what I grew up believing) we don't really have any cliques (we have groups of people that stick together but we don't label it at all) or bullying. I don't know a single person who really doesn't have any friends. People don't tease each other, I guess everybody just fits in in their own way and nobody minds at all who is who. I dislike the Polish society as a whole though, so intolerant, so cynical but that's not the fault of my school definitely :)