Would you move to avoid people of your old life?

Zav

Though I'd still probably stay in contact with my family and the few friends I have here, generally I had a bad reputation around here growing up and I'd really love to move or at least attend a college somewhere a ways away where I can totally start over, meet new people, be independent, and not have my old reputation haunting me.

lyricalliaisons

Even if I ever do get to have my own place, I'll have to live very close to my mom because I have to take care of her. I'll have to pay her bills, etc. So she would always know where I live & I know she would tell everyone else because she never keeps anything about me a secret from anyone (not something I'm happy about :/ )

nopark

I kinda did. I moved away from my hometown about two years ago. The result? I'm trying to figure out how to move back.

I became recluse and stopped seeing friends, and I guess the shame or embarrassment made me want to disappear and not face them ever again. But I don't know anyone here (and I am pretty incapable of meeting people!) -- the loneliness is a little overwhelming.

I don't know if moving back will "solve" any of my problems. Probably not. I've poured my soul into work for 2 years straight and at some point along the way I came to the realization it was meaningless. I'm still poor (entrepreneurism doesn't pay well!) and I'm still lonely and I'm perpetually exhausted. So it's time for a change: I want to have some human contact again. Reuniting with old friends is a start.

AimeeSP

Would you move to avoid people of your old life?

My family and the friends I used to have are long gone. Once I began living a reclusive lifestyle, my family disowned me. My brother, dad, and sister are the only family I've heard from. I've not talked to, nor seen non-immediate family for over five years - not even on my birthday or Christmas. In other words: I've been forgotten.

In the future, I plan to move far away and not let anyone know about my whereabouts. I won't even tell my family where I'll be living. Why would they care if they've not tried to contact me for so many years?

If I'm ever to contact a family member, I will make a private call so they can't trace me. Everyone, including immediate family, cause me distress.

Aww, that's terrible your family disowned you. I've had people from my family look down upon me when i started spending most my days at home. I've had many times when they've been angry at me, and called me selfish and ignorant when i was too scared to attend family members partys. It's horrible when even your family don't take the time to understand how social anxiety affects someones life.

As for me, i really want to move away to avoid certain people around this area. It's a bad town with alot of gang violence, which my brother was involved in at some point. I want to move away and start fresh somewhere where people don't know me and make new friends, hopefully. Too many nosy neighbours down my road know about my past suicide attempts which makes me embarrassed to walk out my front door. I'd like to move to staffordshire near my grandad in the country, it was nice up there. :)

mrb

i can relate to this yes i would and am , well not moving to aviod people of my old life so much , but the fact i wont see most of my family again as i do not get on with them , so in a way i soppose i guess im avoiding them by going ...

michaellipz

im seriously contemplating this. i want a fresh start so badly. i had a good reputation and a ton of friends but in 2 short years of social anxiety i feel like ive been steadily screwing all of that up and embarrassing myself more and more. even with my good friends who know about the SA and are understanding i cant help but feel shameful about how much ive let my life just spiral down the rdrain.

Peebles

Yes I do . I wish I could actually move, try to be "normal" I was die inside. I can actually just walk away from everything but there is fear of leaving my safety net but I am game. I haven't seen my family in years I don't want to call them either. .

I'm actually have been thinking strongly about this

Last edited:

EvilFlyingCow

I moved about 1500 miles away from home when I was 18. I was able to make lots of friends there because I felt like I could be anyone I wanted to be since no one knew me there and I didn't have the same old expectations to live up to as the "shy guy." But I moved back home after 5 years to go to college, and I have no friends back home here. Back to being the shy guy again.

Lionheart

Banned
The only think i hear from my parents is insulting me everyday for no reason it makes me feel like im sh it but it makes me mad to..my dad was drunken every week when i was a child i had never father son talks or something...and now im sitting here and think about it and maybe this is the reason why i have social phobia/anxienty:/

Fighter86

Yes I would actually, out of the country in fact, and go to a place where hopefully no one I know of is migrating there. And not looking back ever.

AidanKay

Even if I ever do get to have my own place, I'll have to live very close to my mom because I have to take care of her. I'll have to pay her bills, etc. So she would always know where I live & I know she would tell everyone else because she never keeps anything about me a secret from anyone (not something I'm happy about :/ )

Man that sounds so similar to my situation.

My mum has problems paying bills, and she's horrible with secrets. I'd want to move far away (perhaps another country), but I'd feel bad about not being near her or my little bro.

-Aidan.

Luke1993

It would be my dream to do this! I would be able to start again, without fear of running in to anyone who bullied me or knew me throughout my life!

The problem though would be getting the money to move away, get a place to live and then getting a job at whatever area I move to. But if I was able to do all that then yes I'd do it in a heartbeat!

lonely_drummer

Yup, I've already done it. Moved really far away after my ex dumped me, everything i looked at just reminded me of her, so I had to go somewhere unfamiliar.