Worried about going in to work tomorrow.

SmileMore

I've been really ill over the weekend (throwing up). Sorry if TMI. So there was no way i could have gone in to work this weekend. I have a huge phobia about using the phone but i rang in really early to tell them at work that i would't be in on Saturday. The person who answered said that was fine.

I thought i might feel a bit better by today but i still feel terrible so early this morning i text the lady who was covering my shift and asked her to pass the message on that i wouldn't be in. She did so i thought it would be ok but then i tuned on my mobile phone about an hour ago (it's been switched off since yesterday because i've spent half the weekend in bed, sick) and there was a voicemail on there from the team leader (person in charge) asking me to ring them back.

I just rang her back and she had a huge go at me for not telling her directly instead of me texting the lady covering my shift. I apologised but she was extremely rude to me and said that because of me being off that made them short staffed. I tried to explain that i had sever sickness over the weekend and was told last time that i had to be off for 48 hours (i work in a care home) because they don't want other people catching it and that i'd only just got her message so that's why i hadn't called back sooner but she was still not having any of it.

She said she's going to tell the manager tomorrow morning when i come in. I'm now really worried about being shouted at because the manager can be extremely aggressive and i'm very quiet and passive. I'm just angry because i'm hardly ever off sick, the last time was probably 2 years ago, yet this woman is acting like i've committed some terrible crime or something. If i had been in this weekend i would have been working on my own so they're not that bothered about us being short staffed when it suits them!

There's members of staff who've been off sick for weeks at a time yet they don't get any hassle at all. One just got promoted! Where i work, if you're not in a certain clique, they will make sure they make your life a misery.

How should i handle it?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Sorry you have to go through all this trouble just for being sick :/

I hate these work situations. I think you handled it well so far, now you just have to keep your cool while facing them. I would try to remain calm (meditation helps in these cases), explain again why you were sick if there's anything to say about it, mention that you aknowledge the fact that they don't like being informed by an intermediary and that you will contact them directly if you ever get sick again.

There's nothing more you can do about it so once it's done I think you should brush all the worries aside and go back to work. To keep worrying about it just makes you feel bad and give up bad vibes (I hate saying things like that because it makes me sound like a hippie, but it's true).

Most of all, don't bash yourself too much afterwards if you fail at keeping your cool. Just pull yourself together and go on with your life. These things are of no serious consequences as long as we don't dwell on it. :)

SmileMore

Sorry you have to go through all this trouble just for being sick :/

I hate these work situations. I think you handled it well so far, now you just have to keep your cool while facing them. I would try to remain calm (meditation helps in these cases), explain again why you were sick if there's anything to say about it, mention that you aknowledge the fact that they don't like being informed by an intermediary and that you will contact them directly if you ever get sick again.

There's nothing more you can do about it so once it's done I think you should brush all the worries aside and go back to work. To keep worrying about it just makes you feel bad and give up bad vibes (I hate saying things like that because it makes me sound like a hippie, but it's true).

Most of all, don't bash yourself too much afterwards if you fail at keeping your cool. Just pull yourself together and go on with your life. These things are of no serious consequences as long as we don't dwell on it. :)

I just worry because even though i pretty much hate my job, i can't afford to lose it. The lady that covered for me is a backstabber and it wouldn't surprise me if she bad mouthed me this weekend. She must have given the team leader my mobile number because i didn't.

mismeek

shes probably just mad because you didn't tell her yourself that you were sick. Its bad work ethic and unprofessional to text or have someone else tell the manager that you're sick. :/ They will probably just tell you to be more professional next time. It shouldn't be a long rant. Be Brave!

Kiwong

You've done nothing wrong, you told someone at work that you were sick. That's all you need to do. The fault is with the person that didn't pass the message on. It is a shame you can't work elsewhere with more understanding people.

SmileMore

shes probably just mad because you didn't tell her yourself that you were sick. Its bad work ethic and unprofessional to text or have someone else tell the manager that you're sick. :/ They will probably just tell you to be more professional next time. It shouldn't be a long rant. Be Brave!

Yeah, i get that. Like i said, i apologised. It's the way she spoke to me that i find unacceptable.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I think things will be okay.

At the end of the day, they can pound the desk all they want if you didn't really do anything wrong.

If they get too loud while reprimanding you or get aggressive, just politely inform them that you have rights and you're not going to tolerate it. I'm over two people where I work and there are rules of conduct that supervisors have to adhere to. Just remember, everybody answers to somebody. What I mean by that is they are accountable for their actions, same as everybody else. Good luck and please keep us informed. :thumbup:

Xervello

Sounds to me like that team leader was in a foul mood already and was just using you as the punching bag to blow off steam. I'd be yourself, explain everything as you did here and I don't see them exploding over it like she did. Hopefully when the smoke clears, all will be back to normal. Seems like there's always some b.s. people have to go through at work, this is just one of those inevitable skirmishes. I wish you luck, and hope you feel better!

God, is EVERYONE an *******?

Sorry about that lady. Some people just like to power trip. I doubt they'll do anything considering you never miss work.