Why are teenagers so cruel?

Lamb

This isn't to say that ALL teenagers lack maturity. In my neighborhood it seems that way for the majority of them.

As I was on my way home today I noticed three teenagers walking near the highschool I attended. There was an older man who was handicapped that had some sort of deformation in his legs so he needed to use a cane. He wobbled with a limp. Two seconds after he walked by one of the girls started making fun of him, imitating his walk.

When I see groups of girls, I'm usually on high alert. At a passing glance I thought nothing of them, maybe they were different, and then the taunting occurred.

It stirred an intense feeling of hatred in me. The thoughts of being bullied when I was younger resurrected. Even though I am now an adult I felt little having to walk past those girls. Thinking they might say something about me and well, I can't get into an altercation with a teen. Or maybe I can.. I'm not that old.

P.S.- I wanted to set her furry boots on fire for being such a b*tch.

When I was their age (15-17) I never acted this way. Why is compassion lacking? It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Maybe they do it to impress their friends, sort of a peer pressure thing, they wouldn't do it when they're alone

Lamb

Maybe they do it to impress their friends, sort of a peer pressure thing, they wouldn't do it when they're alone

One of her friends actually had more sympathy than she and was telling her to stop. Impress them? What's the gain from that?

dmsteyn

Teenagers have many problems of their own, and I guess they transfer these onto other people. Not that that's an excuse for terrible behaviour. Your post makes me sad, as I also wasn't like this as a teenager.

I guess the fact that some of us weren't, means that there still is compassion in this world. I don't want to sound like I'm patting myself on the back; I certainly wasn't an angel as a teenager, but I tried to be humane to people with disabilities and younger children.

I don't think you should hate these teenagers. Maybe try to change their minds, if this is at all possible.

One of her friends actually had more sympathy than she and was telling her to stop. Impress them? What's the gain from that?

Fit in, be one of the crowd. People will stoop low to be accepted, unfortunately. I'm sure I probably did when I was younger

Lamb

Fit in, be one of the crowd. People will stoop low to be accepted, unfortunately. I'm sure I probably did when I was younger

As in, being acknowledged for a sense of humor?
She was the one that started the joke, her friends just laughed. It flys over my head. I did things to gain acceptance too, but not to this extent. I suppose I can't judge..just trying to understand.

jaim38

Teenagers feel the need to rebel against society. At this stage, they are undergoing lots of hormonal and physical changes. When I was a teen, I wore black/dark clothes a lot and questioned a lot of things around me. I did feel the urge to go against societal norms and etiquette. But I was never this cruel. I didn't go around making fun of elderly people.

Lamb

Teenagers have many problems of their own, and I guess they transfer these onto other people. Not that that's an excuse for terrible behaviour. Your post makes me sad, as I also wasn't like this as a teenager.

I guess the fact that some of us weren't, means that there still is compassion in this world. I don't want to sound like I'm patting myself on the back; I certainly wasn't an angel as a teenager, but I tried to be humane to people with disabilities and younger children.

I don't think you should hate these teenagers. Maybe try to change their minds, if this is at all possible.

That did cross my mind. I thought about calling her out on what she was doing by commenting on how rude she was being, but I know what that would've created. These are the types of kids that won't back down. Maybe that man didn't care but I certainly did, and it sucks to have let them get away with that. I should've taken a stand. :sad:

Klonoa

Psh, teenagers are pitiful acting all mighty and strong by doing immature acts, just ignore them. You're the better man, having maturity and all.

I know there are exceptions, but I've seen so few "mature" teenagers, the mayority seem like mean fools...

Lamb

This is just bringing me to tears. I felt unable to take a stand, even if it wasn't worth it.

dmsteyn

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's in the past, and you can always try again in the future, if you feel up to it.

Lamb

Thanks Klonoa and dmsteyn. *blows nose* I'm just going to make it a point to learn MMA techniques. It was suggested and is a good idea.

THeCARS1979

cause they make their own problems and theyre mind hasnt developed yet and will always say or do something to get attention.

Saga

Teenagers are just horrible. ._. I really don't know how else to put it... o.o

squidgee

Teenagers are just horrible. ._. I really don't know how else to put it... o.o

Many teenagers are horrible but not all, after all I'm a teenager.
It's just that adolescents have underdeveloped brains and we tend to use our amygdala for decision making when we should'nt.