Why are teenagers so cruel?

WishingICould

This isn't to say that ALL teenagers lack maturity. In my neighborhood it seems that way for the majority of them.

As I was on my way home today I noticed three teenagers walking near the highschool I attended. There was an older man who was handicapped that had some sort of deformation in his legs so he needed to use a cane. He wobbled with a limp. Two seconds after he walked by one of the girls started making fun of him, imitating his walk.

When I see groups of girls, I'm usually on high alert. At a passing glance I thought nothing of them, maybe they were different, and then the taunting occurred.

It stirred an intense feeling of hatred in me. The thoughts of being bullied when I was younger resurrected. Even though I am now an adult I felt little having to walk past those girls. Thinking they might say something about me and well, I can't get into an altercation with a teen. Or maybe I can.. I'm not that old.

P.S.- I wanted to set her furry boots on fire for being such a b*tch.

When I was their age (15-17) I never acted this way. Why is compassion lacking? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'll never understand it either. I get extremely nervous if a group of them walk towards me when i'm outside. Obviously not ALL of them are like that but a hell of a lot are. They're just evil at that age, some of them get older and are still like that. Most women are just nasty to each other in general.

planemo

I don't think this behaviour is limited to teenagers though. I've had the misfortune of being treated by such behaviour from other people my age since i was about 4/5 years old. I remember even adults treating me with this contempt and lack of compassion when i was that age as well.

i think it's just the way people are. maybe in their teenage years these behaviours are heightened but in all honesty i wouldn't be surprised if people of any age behave this way throughout their lives.

jaim38

Well, women can be very bitchy. Men don't gossip and backbite like us.

I agree. Someone on here said women don't forget things, ever, and I agree. Some woman can be so astute in a negative way; they notice every little thing that you do and they criticize it. Being around women who dislike you can be scary.

cocorose

I was in hs and walking home one day, and I saw a little girl trying to cross the street by herself.. well I went across and asked her if she needed help, and she said yes so I helped her.. there were these 2 guys (teenagers) that saw me and made fun of me for helping her.. I was embarrased, but now I wish I would have said something to them. Like "go f*ck yourselves, d!ckheads". Alot of people just don't care about others, maybe because their parents didn't teach them or like someone mentioned peer pressure, and also they are kids and immature and haven't grown up yet.

WishingICould

I was in hs and walking home one day, and I saw a little girl trying to cross the street by herself.. well I went across and asked her if she needed help, and she said yes so I helped her.. there were these 2 guys (teenagers) that saw me and made fun of me for helping her.. I was embarrased, but now I wish I would have said something to them. Like "go f*ck yourselves, d!ckheads". Alot of people just don't care about others, maybe because their parents didn't teach them or like someone mentioned peer pressure, and also they are kids and immature and haven't grown up yet.

Good for you. :thumbup:

spearhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhunter
maybe because they play too much violent video games.
I hope that's a joke.

Yes it was a joke, I played lot of violent video games, and I am not a bad person.

Think about it if you did firstly: you would be showing the young girl that it's fine to shout and call people names, not that i dont agree with standing up for yourself.
secondly i dont know if you agree i know kids learn bad words but i wouldn't use foul lanuage in front of a child.
you did good showing them they can say what they want you know your being kind by helping her out and it doesn't matter what they say so good on you for ignoring them.At the end of the day there not worth it:applause::applause:

A friend

Teenagers are cruel primarily due to the hormones influencing their behavior, and the lack of mental capabilities to cope with it. That, and kids these days aren't taught any moral values, how to behave, and will do anything to gain approval from their peers.

Basically, very few human beings have the capabilities to act properly when they're teenagers. After all, adolescents are the most cruel humans alive, and have been for as long as humanity has existed.

I've seen the scale of just how intense the emotions brought on by hormonal changes can be.

These same kids that conduct cruel acts like bullying disabled people are also sometimes the ones that cry themselves to sleep at night, although their surroundings aren't the cause, nor are the events going on in their lives.

They might think that's the case, but it's actually hormonal changes and the fact that they don't know how to deal with it. The hormones warp their minds farther than you probably think.

Now, I can explain why today's teenagers are more cruel than any other past generation outside the chemistry aspect, but the post would be a bit too long to read if I did, so just tell me if you want to know so I can make a separate post or VM you (also to avoid getting off topic).

But you get the idea now, right? Most modern teenagers are stupid, hormone-driven animals that don't have the ability to understand even the most simplistic concepts. And we can thank their parents for allowing them to worsen.

coyote

medical science has proven that the last part of the human brain to develop is the part that governs decision-making and risk-taking. it isn't finished growing/developing until people are in their early 20's - sometimes later

simply put - teenagers are not liable to make sound judgments concerning their own behavior

(even though they often think they know everything)

A friend

medical science has proven that the last part of the human brain to develop is the part that governs decision-making and risk-taking. it isn't finished growing/developing until people are in their early 20's - sometimes later

Like I said, they don't have the capabilities to understand moral concepts. And if medical science is right, then that means it's physically impossible for the cruel teenagers to understand.

simply put - teenagers are not liable to make sound judgments concerning their own behavior

Then that means their parents are at fault here.

(even though they often think they know everything)

Teenagers and knowing everything are oxymorons.

WishingICould

Like I said, they don't have the capabilities to understand moral concepts. And if medical science is right, then that means it's physically impossible for the cruel teenagers to understand.

I don't agree with that at all. They know full well what they're doing they just don't care because there are no consequences.