What was this?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well I was walking the other day and up ahead of me was this girl. Now when I walk I keep looking forward, I figure looking down would draw more attention to myself and I don't like being surprised with hellos. So she's walking and as soon as she see's my eyes she immediately looks down, and does so until she's past me. I then thought "really shy maybe?" because that's what I want to do while I'm walking. And then as I usually do I look back to see how they reacted, and I see her looking back at me! Like 50 feet back.

I'm not jumping to conclusions but I've never seen someone with anything resembling any of my symptoms, and then there was this random girl. Am I crazy or does anyone else see anything notable here?

Well I was walking the other day and up ahead of me was this girl. Now when I walk I keep looking forward, I figure looking down would draw more attention to myself and I don't like being surprised with hellos. So she's walking and as soon as she see's my eyes she immediately looks down, and does so until she's past me. I then thought "really shy maybe?" because that's what I want to do while I'm walking. And then as I usually do I look back to see how they reacted, and I see her looking back at me! Like 50 feet back.

I'm not jumping to conclusions but I've never seen someone with anything resembling any of my symptoms, and then there was this random girl. Am I crazy or does anyone else see anything notable here?

Huh. I never look back. I think - something.

Myself have run into a few people who seem shy. They are people. Random.

Notable? I don't see anything yet. What should I see here?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Huh. I never look back. I think - something.

Myself have run into a few people who seem shy. They are people. Random.

Notable? I don't see anything yet. What should I see here?

I don't know, it just seemed really strange. I'm used to being the most shy/uncomfortable person in every situation and I didn't feel that way in this one. It was only 30 seconds, but still.

Slywire

I've never looked back at someone in case i see them looking back at me and then i'd be thinking thats somethings wrong with me, thinking im ugly, hating my clothes, laughing at my walk etc.
My guess would be that they were shy and either thought they might know you or maybe they just fancied you.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've never looked back at someone in case i see them looking back at me and then i'd be thinking thats somethings wrong with me, thinking im ugly, hating my clothes, laughing at my walk etc.
My guess would be that they were shy and either thought they might know you or maybe they just fancied you.

No, in her looking back it mirrored my behavior, in very much the same way I do. By looking down, and she looked straight down, showed she was uncomfortable. By looking back it showed she was self-conscious, needed to see my reaction. I felt like I've been there before, I've done the exact same thing.

I don't know, it just seemed really strange. I'm used to being the most shy/uncomfortable person in every situation and I didn't feel that way in this one. It was only 30 seconds, but still.

I see. Yes. That. You have it right. Strange. There is no other description that fits. Maybe revelation. Not the only one in reality.

Happened to me on Friday. Guy's voice was a little shaky. Of course I missed everything he said. Busy thinking, isn't that supposed to be me? We got the network working anyway though.

anxiety1408

The only time I look back is when I walk past a girl I find attractive and more often than not she looks just as beautiful from behind..

I wish I could meet other people with SA in real life (even for 30 seconds). Would be very interesting if only for observational purposes. I actually met someone once, but she was like 10 years old xD... couldn't talk to her or ask her stuff or anything :/

IGotSeoul

Just me, but I'll only second glance at people if they catch my eye (i.e. attractive women) or vice versa.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Just me, but I'll only second glance at people if they catch my eye (i.e. attractive women) or vice versa.

Catch your eye could mean a lot of things. If I stumble, I may look back to see how the reacted after they walked by. In that situation I looked back because she so noticeable kept her eyes focused on the ground, and I think she looked back to see how I reacted,and she saw that I turned around and looked back. We look back when we have a reason to. (i.e. a pretty girl)

scarednotshy

since i've been reading here i've been extra sensitive about people other than me who might have sp and i've suddenly noticed at work a few men who hold their gaze on me (they'll maintain eye contact longer than most and say THANK YOU most sincerely). now i know full well it isn't because of my looks, as i lost those long ago. i couldn't figure out until this site that they might possibly be seeing the fear in me and relating to it. so many out there must think they are the only ones as i did. when i started being aware of this, i saw something kindred in the eyes of some of the people who come in to my work. especially some of the men (i don't know why) who are regulars but don't have a rapport with the employees there.

it's almost like they sense my sp and relate to it. i see it in their eyes. they hold a gaze and thank me. i know it isn't my looks as there are so many young beautiful girls that work there.

so, she probably felt and sensed exactly as you sensed and felt and then looked back wondering if you sensed and felt what she sensed and felt...........KWIM?

am i too deep?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
since i've been reading here i've been extra sensitive about people other than me who might have sp and i've suddenly noticed at work a few men who hold their gaze on me (they'll maintain eye contact longer than most and say THANK YOU most sincerely). now i know full well it isn't because of my looks, as i lost those long ago. i couldn't figure out until this site that they might possibly be seeing the fear in me and relating to it. so many out there must think they are the only ones as i did. when i started being aware of this, i saw something kindred in the eyes of some of the people who come in to my work. especially some of the men (i don't know why) who are regulars but don't have a rapport with the employees there.

it's almost like they sense my sp and relate to it. i see it in their eyes. they hold a gaze and thank me. i know it isn't my looks as there are so many young beautiful girls that work there.

so, she probably felt and sensed exactly as you sensed and felt and then looked back wondering if you sensed and felt what she sensed and felt...........KWIM?

am i too deep?

No, that makes a lot of sense. I did kind of feel something off, and maybe so did she. Maybe I don't hide it as well I thought :rolleyes:

Pookah

I look down and don't look back so I'm not sure that's what happened here. One of the reasons I have trouble recognizing faces because I simply don't look at all. Maybe she thought you were cute. :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I look down and don't look back so I'm not sure that's what happened here. One of the reasons I have trouble recognizing faces because I simply don't look at all. Maybe she thought you were cute. :)

I doubt it because as soon as she saw someone coming she immediately looked down straight at her feet, it was really dramatic.

Wishful thinking though.:)

scarednotshy

No, that makes a lot of sense. I did kind of feel something off, and maybe so did she. Maybe I don't hide it as well I thought

I think we as social phobes are so introspective and so intuitive that I think we are hypersensitive to others and how they feel. Even just in passing, we can sense "something"

I see that the "rest" always sense the "weirdness" or "differentness" in others and they will gossip or scorn.

What we can say, having this draining disorder, is at least we are sensitive to others. Not something I could say about others. Although there are sensitive people out there who are comfortable socially but still are sensitive and compassionate. I just happen to think we are a RARE bread and we suffer greatly for it. Maybe in the future with science, medicine and technology we will find we are an ELITE brand of people who are hypersensitive, hypergifted and a gift to the human race.....maybe we are evolving and are the beginning of a better society/future......

dreaming maybe?