What is one habit that you want to change?

Man on the Moon

For me, I want to change my anti-social behavior. I don't want to be selective when I talk to people. I want to force myself to talk to everyone. I want to engage with people. Be more personable, and not only when I'm in the mood. I've been known to be quite aloof and standoffish. Usually I'm in my own world. Living in my own safe comfort zone...but that can only get you so far. At the end of the day, I am quite lonely. So, I acknowledge this bad habit. And isn't that the first step towards change?

TheSanctuarian

I want to force myself to talk to everyone. I want to engage with people. Be more personable, and not only when I'm in the mood. I've been known to be quite aloof and standoffish. Usually I'm in my own world. Living in my own safe comfort zone...but that can only get you so far. At the end of the day, I am quite lonely. So, I acknowledge this bad habit. And isn't that the first step towards change?

Firstly, I am similar to you in the way that I can be very "in my own little world" and I enjoy that. but I wouldn't change that for anything as Its my way of keeping sane. :) However, I would like to change the way how I am with new people; when introduced to people by friends there isn't a barrier to stop me from interacting because I know that they are a friend of a friend, so they are more than likely a decent person. but when I meet new people on my own I have serious trust issues for no reason- this I would love to change.

Secondly :) people always say "the fist way to deal with a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem in the first place." so, yes! you are on the way to curing your bad habits. :D

MagicPotion

For me, I want to change my anti-social behavior. I don't want to be selective when I talk to people. I want to force myself to talk to everyone. I want to engage with people. Be more personable, and not only when I'm in the mood. I've been known to be quite aloof and standoffish. Usually I'm in my own world. Living in my own safe comfort zone...but that can only get you so far. At the end of the day, I am quite lonely. So, I acknowledge this bad habit. And isn't that the first step towards change?

I can certainly relate. I used to always hang around with the same 2-3 people and think "meh, I've got friends already" so never expanded my social circle. Never spoke to anybody else except them, my brother, and my mum and dad.

I figured everybody else would hate me so why bother. In fact it was me with the problem, I judged people for hating me even though I never gave them a chance to prove otherwise.

I'm having to meet new people now, and since I started giving folks a chance and not being so choosy and standoffish, I've learned most people are fairly decent.

Problem I've found with SA is you develop pre-conceptions about people to protect yourself. I can be very judgemental but that's because I've had bad experiences in the past and need to feel safe, so I pre-emptively reject people.

When you challenge those preconceptions you can be surprised. Since I was talking to people at work, or having to mix with my ex's family, people I expected to utterly hate me by default actually seemed to like me - a little at least, enough to give me encouragement that the more I open up, the more they'll like me, not hate me.

Best of luck Man on the Moon and theSanctarian as we all seem to have this as our goal :)

TheSanctuarian

@Srijita - In that case, yes. I hope you achieve your goal. try to see the criticism as constructive, or as personal feedback.

@MagicPotion- Thanks, you too :)

I want to change taking criticism so personally.

this! I always take things way too personal, I blame myself for everything, I always wanna do everything perfect, and if it doesn't happen I'll feel stupid.
I wanna deal with it. Just stick with it. Ya know?

i'd like to change my eating habit too, I really want to gain weight. It would boost my confident so much. I am so skinny, really.

These are my 2 goal settings if it comes to habits, i won't ask myself too much this time, because I know that is unreachable in just a short period of time.
I'll just take it easy and work on this.

*Amy*

Procastination is my main objective in my list of habits I'd like to change.
I would also like to stop avoiding people, to be nice to them. I don't intend to speak when I don't feel like it, but just to be warmer and nicer to people, and to treat them as I would like to be treated.
I would like to stop hiding my emotions and feelings (I think I'm getting better at this point), to hug, kiss, say stupid things and make jokes whenever I feel like it, and to stop refraining myself just because of my stupid shyness.
And finally, I would also like to eat more and gain weight. That was my goal for this summer but half of it has already gone by, and I can't really say I've improved ::eek::

Purplepixies

Some changes for me would be:
Lose more weight.
Stop being so lazy.
Kill my procrastination.
Stop trying to base my whole life on looks.

The last one is the most important of all.
I have the screwed mentality where I base my whole life on my looks. All the bad things that happen to me happen because I don't look like I'm supposed to.
People tell me I'm fine just a little fat, and I get tons of compliments, but from the wrong type of men -_-. AND IT PISSES ME OFF! Why can't I just be who I want to be?! :'(

Minty

For me, I want to change my anti-social behavior.

I hate to be nitpicky but anti-social doesn't mean...against socializing. It means not believing in social systems and even taking advantage of them to get what you want. In fact, anti-social people can be quite charming and talkative.

Sorry, I just get annoyed when us social phobics get labelled anti-social because it is strongly associated with criminal behavior. Lol, feel free to ignore this.

WeirdyMcGee

Is this a habit?
just want to be able to see my own reflection rather than a hideous monster looking back at me in the mirror.
I want to like myself even just a little.

Kathryn.fr

I have a bad habit of straightening my hair when it doesn't need to be. It just makes me self consiouc that people will stare at it, so I flat iron the hell out of it... now ish crispy fried *sigh*lol.

TheSanctuarian

Its a horrible feeling to feel inferior, its especially horrid when it comes to the ladies. its like; "why the hell would you want to be with me?"

da_illest101

kill of my lazyness, i used to be in shape not anymore

stop spending unjustifiable amount of time in front of a computer doing nothing

not having a conversation with guys: for some reason I only seem to care about girls and won't bother talking with guy even though they are most likely to have thing in common with me

stop thinking negatively about everything

that's all i can think of

Phoenixx

There are a lot of habits that I want to change. Such as the ones previously mentioned, asocial behaviors and taking criticism so personally. But lately, the one I've been working on trying to change is seeing myself better. I want to start appreciating how I look more. Today wasn't too good of a day, unfortunately. But I've been working on it. I just hope that, if I do achieve being completely happy with how I look, I don't suddenly slink back into the same old ways of wanting to put a paper bag over my head.