What have you done to help yourself today?

onecellinthesea

Thought we could share our mini successes!

My mini success:
Today I've registered at a new Doctors surgery (been putting it off for 6 months!) with the aim of getting another course of CBT for APD (previous was for SA, I went to two sessions and didn't go back - the counselor sat staring at a clock for the entire time I was there which really put me off!)

So scared but at least i've made a small step in the right direction at getting it under control. Hooray me!

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get a better counselor this time.

Ithior

I don't know if this counts but:

It all happened in one hour or so.
After using a computer in university that had a barely functioning mouse (needed to check my e-mail) I went to the row behind where two of my (female) friends were working on a thing for a subject. I already had all my classes for the day (only had one, the other was cancelled) so I thought I could stay with them and help them/chat with them.

Second thing was, while standing next to them, I saw another girl going to use the computer I had been on before, so before she logged in her session I went to her and told her the mouse wasn't working and that the computer next to her was working fine.

Third thing was that while I was sitting in that room I saw a female friend of mine outside looking in. I thought she was looking for a computer to use but they were all taken. I sent her a text saying my friends and I were about to leave, but she only saw it later on.

Anyway, in a normal day I would've just avoided all those things. I would've just said bye to my friends and go home, I would just look at the girl and wouldn't tell her the problem with the mouse, and I wouldn't send a message to my friend thinking it would be weird.

onecellinthesea

I don't know if this counts but:

It all happened in one hour or so.
After using a computer in university that had a barely functioning mouse (needed to check my e-mail) I went to the row behind where two of my (female) friends were working on a thing for a subject. I already had all my classes for the day (only had one, the other was cancelled) so I thought I could stay with them and help them/chat with them.

Second thing was, while standing next to them, I saw another girl going to use the computer I had been on before, so before she logged in her session I went to her and told her the mouse wasn't working and that the computer next to her was working fine.

Third thing was that while I was sitting in that room I saw a female friend of mine outside looking in. I thought she was looking for a computer to use but they were all taken. I sent her a text saying my friends and I were about to leave, but she only saw it later on.

Anyway, in a normal day I would've just avoided all those things. I would've just said bye to my friends and go home, I would just look at the girl and wouldn't tell her the problem with the mouse, and I wouldn't send a message to my friend thinking it would be weird.

Definitely counts! Well done on your 3 mini victories Ithior :)

It's much easier to just run off home and I'm guilty of that. I have a course mate who has tried to call me as i'm walking out of uni to my car, probably to ask if I want to grab a cup of coffee but both times I've pretended I didn't see the call. I hope she calls again. If not, I'll have to be the one to call her!

Ithior

I finally picked up my basketball from the garage and filled it back up. It's something I've been delaying for months, I don't know why. I still don't have a place to play but at least I already got the ball ready. I'm going to count this as a mini achievement too because like I said I've been delaying this for god knows how long.

Today is being a very mini successful day and I'm only halfway through it.

onecellinthesea

I finally picked up my basketball from the garage and filled it back up. It's something I've been delaying for months, I don't know why. I still don't have a place to play but at least I already got the ball ready. I'm going to count this as a mini achievement too because like I said I've been delaying this for god knows how long.

Today is being a very mini successful day and I'm only halfway through it.

Woop it's all about doing those little things we've been putting off :thumbup:

ImNotMyIllness

Thought we could share our mini successes!

My mini success:
Today I've registered at a new Doctors surgery (been putting it off for 6 months!) with the aim of getting another course of CBT for APD (previous was for SA, I went to two sessions and didn't go back - the counselor sat staring at a clock for the entire time I was there which really put me off!)

So scared but at least i've made a small step in the right direction at getting it under control. Hooray me!

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get a better counselor this time.

Good for you!!

I'm going to go to class today. I would rather skip it!

johan

I have gone to the swimming pool today and swam a bit :)
it was very scary but I did it. :bigsmile:
i hope i will have the courage to do it next monday too:)

onecellinthesea

Yeah! Awesome :)
I meant to go swimming last week, got into the changing room and started to panic. I might go later on and make it to the pool this time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ithior

Nice, there's a swimming pool in the gym I go to but I never went there. I wanted to, but I never really learned how to swim properly (even though I had many classes when I was a kid). Still, that's not what stops me. What stops me is the fact that I don't really know the things to do before entering the pool (like where do I leave my towel, my slippers, where is that shower thing before you enter the water, etc). I haven't swam in at least 5 years.

onecellinthesea

Nice, there's a swimming pool in the gym I go to but I never went there. I wanted to, but I never really learned how to swim properly (even though I had many classes when I was a kid). Still, that's not what stops me. What stops me is the fact that I don't really know the things to do before entering the pool (like where do I leave my towel, my slippers, where is that shower thing before you enter the water, etc). I haven't swam in at least 5 years.

I can't swim very well either, I have a little bob about and then sit in the steam room! You should go for it, nobody knows that stuff until you get in there and give it a go :)

akala

Congrats on your progress!
I'm looking at a program to join where you can get free psychotherapy but I'm a little hesitant to go out and do that
I got back in school :) (by far the most rewarding accomplishment, and has made me a little more confident) :applause: even the smallest things can help

-i got self help books and workbooks (it helped a little but not so much)

onecellinthesea

checked out self-help book at library.

visited friend.
Awesome. Which self help book are you reading? I've just started 'manage your mind'. Which I definitely need help with.

I ran 8km

This in my third day without caffiene.

8km! Well done :). I don't drink caffeine either, it makes me panic, gives me heart palpitations and stops me sleeping! Does it affect you in that way too?

Ithior

Now that you mention self-help books, I've been reading my first self-help sort of book ever, I went out of my way to buy it last week. It's called The Power of Now, I've seen it suggested in this forum before.

5arah

I called my grandmother today. I don't have any problems with her, but she really likes to talk…a lot. The thought of calling her makes me nervous, but I did it. :) It was fine (the woman can carry the entire conversation :p), and I feel better after doing it.

onecellinthesea

...I got back in school :)...
Brilliant! That's a big victory. Must be scary and exciting :)

This is a really cool and positive thread. I hope all members continually update their mini victories here. I know I will!

:)

Thankyou dear :) I think it's too easy to beat ourselves up about what we can't or haven't done and instead we need to focus on the small positives.

Now that you mention self-help books, I've been reading my first self-help sort of book ever, I went out of my way to buy it last week. It's called The Power of Now, I've seen it suggested in this forum before.

I haven't read that one! Let me know what you think, I've heard great things about it helping with negative inner dialogue amongst other things

onecellinthesea

I called my grandmother today. I don't have any problems with her, but she really likes to talk…a lot. The thought of calling her makes me nervous, but I did it. :) It was fine (the woman can carry the entire conversation :p), and I feel better after doing it.

I know that feeling! High five :)