What have you done to help yourself today?

Ithior

Managed to study around 140 minutes (had planned to study 90 minutes today). It was already an achievement to study on a friday, since it's the day I usually procrastinate the most. And it looked like it was going that way, until something motivated me to start studying (already forgot what it was though).

Even though I managed to take these little steps (including the ones from yesterday) I still feel like I'm not really advancing on most aspects of my life (especially relationships, I'm starting to think I'll never be able to connect with someone of the opposite sex).

Last edited:

onecellinthesea

Everyone's been doing so well, well done all. I'm feeling pretty lousy right now and all your mini victories have inspired me.

Ithior

Today is the 4th day in a row that I managed to study at least as much as I had set myself to.
Looking at my calendar where I mark the days in which I studied and those in which I didn't, tomorrow is going to be an important day. According to it, I never studied more than 4 days in a row. Maybe the fact that I have a test every Friday in the next 3 weeks will help me push through this 4 day barrier.

onecellinthesea

Hang in there and keep trying. That's all you can do. :)

Thankyou INMI :) Did my Insanity workout just now (physical not mental ;) lol) and I'm feeling better about today. Now for some miso!

Today is the 4th day in a row that I managed to study at least as much as I had set myself to.
Looking at my calendar where I mark the days in which I studied and those in which I didn't, tomorrow is going to be an important day. According to it, I never studied more than 4 days in a row. Maybe the fact that I have a test every Friday in the next 3 weeks will help me push through this 4 day barrier.

Good for you, I hardly ever manage that. I am an exceptional procrastinator. What subjects are you studying for?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I got up at 7 this morning.
Then I went biking for 1 hour.
Now I'm about to get myself too busy all day to have the time to do my taxes.

Ithior

Good for you, I hardly ever manage that. I am an exceptional procrastinator. What subjects are you studying for?

Right now I'm only studying for Portuguese and European Economy, basically studying the reasons why Portugal fell behind the other main european countries in the last two centuries.

The other two subjects I should be studying for in the next weeks are project/investment evaluation and history of economic thought.

Ithior

Managed to break my 4 day barrier yesterday. Today I was not feeling like studying but I wanted to keep my streak so a while ago I managed to study 30 minutes, it isn't much but at least I did something. Going on a 6 day streak right now.

I found it harder to get something done today because I had no tangible goals. Before I was rewriting my notes from class so it would be more organized/clean/etc, so I had a tangible goal that depended on how fast I can write. But right now I'm just reading the materials (not a lot of time to do other things) so it isn't as tangible. I can read faster, skip chunks of text, etc. so I can easily reach any goal if I cheat (something I couldn't do in the past 5 days).

Any suggestions?

onecellinthesea

Managed to break my 4 day barrier yesterday. Today I was not feeling like studying but I wanted to keep my streak so a while ago I managed to study 30 minutes, it isn't much but at least I did something. Going on a 6 day streak right now.

I found it harder to get something done today because I had no tangible goals. Before I was rewriting my notes from class so it would be more organized/clean/etc, so I had a tangible goal that depended on how fast I can write. But right now I'm just reading the materials (not a lot of time to do other things) so it isn't as tangible. I can read faster, skip chunks of text, etc. so I can easily reach any goal if I cheat (something I couldn't do in the past 5 days).

Any suggestions?

I'm the same, if I don't have a goal I can't get much done. Perhaps you could pick out the key points in every section you read and write them out (maybe repeatedly) rather than just reading? Nothing goes in for me when I just read over something. Also that way you could set a goal to do with the amount of points written in your summary etc. This was a good few days ago that you posted this (Sorry for late reply - in the middle of my undergrad dissertation!), let me know how you got on :)

Ithior

Well I think that day was the last of my streak. I managed to go 6 days in a row, stopped one, then another 3 in a row, stopped another, then 5 in a row, stopped another day, and now I'm on a 6 day streak again.

At that time I decided to read like two chapters a day, which didn't take long. The test wasn't hard but I wanted to write a lot more than I had time to. It also didn't help that I wasted unnecessary time on a thing that wouldn't trouble me any other day, but it did that time because I didn't sleep well all week and the test was at 6pm (woke up at 7am that day, was pretty tired).

Something that for some reason helped me with reading materials in these past 3 weeks was underlining with a red gel pen. I don't know why but I concentrate better when using that pen. Maybe because it's red (contrasts with the paper unlike pencil) and maybe because it's permanent too (can't erase it after it's underlined).