"what have you been up to?"

EscapeArtist

Im meetin up with acquaintances i really even barely knew from highschool tonight, and seeing as its been 3 or so years, I know theyll ask " What have you been doing?". This question scares me, ive basically been isolating myself and going through a try again - drop out again cycle of highschool courses since i dropped out 3 years ago. In truth these last 3 years has just been me trying to cope, so what do i reply to this question with, without making them uncomfortable? Help pleeeeze

ImNotMyIllness

I hate that question too! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Hmmm, I guess just keep it superficial. That question is more of a formality than anything else. They're not looking for a detailed account. You could even say, "eh, not much really" and then ask them what they've been up too. That's what I would do.

Just be vague - "I've been doing a bit of study, I worked at a market garden for a while, travelled a bit" then quickly put it back onto them "What have you been up to?" People are usually more interested in saying their own stories, so take advantage of it :] hope that helps!!

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hey Escape :) Besides INMI and Phocas's advice, is there anything you started doing in the last years that could make a good diversion? Like "oh I started playing the guitar..." Also, don't feel embarrassed by what you're doing (or not) with your time. I mean if you're saying "I haven't been doing anything, AT ALL!!" not looking ashamed of it, it's a lot less awkward than if you answer "I've... been... working here and there...." :D

rosewood

i have the same probelm... i was recently told i need to develop an "Elevator Phrase", you know, a phrase that will move you onto the next step or segue neatly into the rest of the conversation. its supposed to only be 60 seconds long and sort of sell you. i found marketing sites online that promote this idea, but its a good idea. so, write me and maybe we can hash it together,... if you want... i am just throwing ideas out there...:)

MikeyC

Just be vague - "I've been doing a bit of study, I worked at a market garden for a while, travelled a bit" then quickly put it back onto them "What have you been up to?" People are usually more interested in saying their own stories, so take advantage of it :] hope that helps!!
I agree with this. Be vague, but not too vague.

EscapeArtist

Thanks everyone, i appreciate all of your suggestions, something vague along phocas's suggestion it is, will let you know how this thing turns out

Richey

You could say "I've been doing stuff, just some general things, y'know how it is?" lol...Or .."well actually alot of stuff which has kept me busy" ..."oh yeah, well at least you're keeping busy".."haha yeah".

like what was said above, you can be vague. you don't have to go into specifics and you don't have to try hard to impress.

hidwell

Went for a walk in the bush today and decided to go somewhere I don't normally go and to get there I had to drive on a dirt road. I always find it stimulating to go somewhere new and I decided to go into private property a tree plantation managed by Guns, the original bush is much nicer and more interesting, great views of the valley and Mount Wellington.

coyote

any answer, if given enthusiastically enough, will set the tone

you can very easily make them envious of you just by showing how happy/excited you are with what you have been doing

wait,.... you AREN'T happy/excited with what you have been doing? why not?

work on that

but, in the mean time,... pretend that you are

Nothingg

Oh I absolutely dread this question! I always either lie or try to avoid it. Some of the previous posters have given some good advice though. Good luck scapers!

razzle dazzle rose

^ Excellent advice. I am working on my cheery response to these types of questions (which I HATE so much.) So along with the cheery response, I would also focus on them right back and just ask them questions about what they have been up to. It is awesome you are hanging out with these people. Good luck!

MikeyC

any answer, if given enthusiastically enough, will set the tone

you can very easily make them envious of you just by showing how happy/excited you are with what you have been doing

wait,.... you AREN'T happy/excited with what you have been doing? why not?

work on that

but, in the mean time,... pretend that you are
Spot on. If you say you haven't been happy with what you're doing, they'll ask why. You probably don't want that, so just fake enthusiasm with your goings-on, and they won't ask. :)

squidgee

Gah! I hate that question, I always end up lying about what I do. This dreaded question is up there with "Got any plans for the weekend/holidays?"

EscapeArtist

ended up going okay, i believe thaat question was asked once, and i replied recapping the small things i've done the last few years.. fortunately that question isn't as important when you're in a bar with music so loud you can barely hear, anyway