What Do You Not Regret?

Silatuyok

Life is too full of regrets. What decisions have you made that you look back on and think, yeah, that was the right thing to do, I'm happy it turned out that way.
?

I don't regret never having started smoking or drinking. Being past my teens, I feel little draw to it even in crowds that smoke and drink.

Silatuyok

I don't regret getting married at 19, even though it was a mistake.

I don't regret deciding not to apply to veterinary school. Especially as I see my debt dwindling instead of increasing dramatically.

I don't regret working for my dad for so many years, even though many days were emotional torture. Some day I'm going to look back and realize how important it was to spend so much time with him and get to know him so well.

I don't regret moving back home after my first year away at college, even though it meant losing my free ride. I needed to be here and I'm glad I came back.

I don't regret getting married at 19, even though it was a mistake.

I don't regret deciding not to apply to veterinary school. Especially as I see my debt dwindling instead of increasing dramatically.

I don't regret working for my dad for so many years, even though many days were emotional torture. Some day I'm going to look back and realize how important it was to spend so much time with him and get to know him so well.

I don't regret moving back home after my first year away at college, even though it meant losing my free ride. I needed to be here and I'm glad I came back.

That's great that you can look back on decisions that were hard to make and not feel a sense of regret. I think not having regret over some of our major decisions in life is a skill we must learn, or it can eat us alive. I spend a lot of time regretting things, and it is such a waste of time. Have to remember life isn't a race, a competition, or a game. It includes elements of all three of those, but on the whole life just is - and if your heart is beating and there's hope, just relax (wish I could practice what I preach more often).

Let's see, non-regrets...

Cutting off communication with my grandfather. He's extremely controlling and emotionally abusive.

This is a silly one, but... I had my belly button pierced and I ended up taking it out because it healed crookedly. Now I have a small scar, and sometimes it bothers me that it's there, but then I remember that if I had never gotten it pierced I wouldn't have known what it's like - and I was really curious. I loved it while I had it. Miss it too.

I don't regret not going through with pre-med. There is no way in hell I could have done it. Tutoring in math is great and all, but I got plenty of tutoring and I was still lost. I need like a two-year remedial math program to even have a shot.

That's all I can think of right now. Hrm.

Last edited:

planemo

I don't regret never having started smoking or drinking. Being past my teens, I feel little draw to it even in crowds that smoke and drink.

ditto.

that's one of the few things i'm proud that i have done or should i say, haven't done.

i just hope i can keep it that way.

Kiwong

Paying to see the doctor and physio in Sydney who saved my knees
Writing honestly in my blog
Studying mature age
Having suffered panic attacks and knee pain. I beat them and they taught me how to live.

Ithior

I don't really care about regret. I can't think of something I regret or something I don't regret. I just don't think about my decisions in those terms. I'm not saying I rationally don't think about it in those terms, I'm saying it happens naturally. Further ahead in my post it might look like I do it rationally but that's just my attempt to rationalise what goes on in my head.

I only regret things for a day or a weekend maybe. I might regret not using some opportunity to talk to a girl or regret not doing something obvious in an exam (like making sure I wrote the multiple choice answers correctly), but it's not for long. I just get over it. In the case of the exam I just take it as something that had to happen for me to learn the importance of following that procedure and to avoid committing the same mistake again in the near future.

For bigger decisions it's different. I might think "Maybe I should've done X back then" when a problem comes back to haunt me again. But I'm aware that things were different back then, including my emotions and personality, and I didn't know what would happen in the future. And at this point, I can't possibly guess what would've happened if my decision was different. So there's no reason to dwell in the past, what I have to do is come up with a way to get over that problem now, not how I should've gotten over it in the past.

I don't regret leaving my ex.
When I see or hear of women who can't find the strength to leave a toxic relationship, it makes me feel incredible sadness for them. Then it reinforces what I had to go through to leave. I will never regret it, it saved my life.

I think sometimes there are regrets (and I have too many!:rolleyes:) that can be "erased" or made neutral by doing something to counter that particular regret. Although the opportunity to so this seems to be far and few between. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been given the chance to do this with the worst regret of my life.:thumbup:

Lea

Banned
There are a few things I regard like a good luck that I did them, which is learning the 3 languages which have all been of very good use to me. Also I don´t regret learning typing with all 10 fingers at school. I actually don´t regret anything what happened in my life, because it was probably meant to be and life is supposed to be ****, I also don´t regret it because I know I did my best or if I didn´t, I couldn´t do otherwise so - what happened, happened. If my life should have been better though, it is a shame that I didn´t start as a kid practicing some sport or a skill. But what can I do if my parents didn´t put me to learn anything.

GraybeardGhost

When I see or hear of women who can't find the strength to leave a toxic relationship, it makes me feel incredible sadness for them. Then it reinforces what I had to go through to leave. I will never regret it, it saved my life.
Bravo, Blue, for finding the strength and courage to leave when you had to. I already knew you were awesome. This little glimpse into your struggle just makes me admire you all the more. :thumbup:
I think sometimes there are regrets (and I have too many!:rolleyes:) that can be "erased" or made neutral by doing something to counter that particular regret. Although the opportunity to so this seems to be far and few between. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been given the chance to do this with the worst regret of my life.:thumbup:

This is why twelve-step programs like AA and NA so emphasize examining the past and making amends. It's not just about trying to make things right with other people we've hurt along the way and gaining their forgiveness. It's also—and even more so—about finding ways to forgive ourselves and move on to better things. It's probably the most rewarding part of the program. Naturally, it's also the hardest.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't regret choosing isolation instead of alcohol and drugs.

I don't regret doing what makes me happy, even if that meant being labeled as insane, abnormal, bizarre, etc.

And I certainly don't regret beating up this drunk folk for trying to attack my mother the other day.

onehandclapping

that I went out and tried to be sociable in my teens and 20's. that I tried many different jobs to see how I would cope in various working conditions.
that i've tried reaching out to people and tried at least to make new friends.

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
Being jailed

I was scared and thought I might regret being there

Best kindred. So much to laugh about together and make the best friends. Never met any black or Asian people until then, who had the best personalities I'd ever known. One year from age 19 to 20, with my birthday there when I started and when released. Everybody liked me, and were sad to see me go, and I felt the same for them. I had the best job you can have there, which I took over from when the last person left. So much better than being the shy one at school

Good enjoyment before I was in there, loads more of better times afterwards in the same rebellious atmosphere outside of society but managing to earn well and the best life I'll ever have until I was about 25 and everything has got worse. So. I know I could do that. Nothing to stop me. I wish I could again by rising above the social barricade now. Nowadays, I think I'm seen as scum

Last edited:
I don't regret all the Skoal I use or the every morning double shot of bourbon. I don't regret all the girlfriends & one night stands because it makes me appreciate my wife. I don't regret getting married when I was 19. I don't regret working my butt off to give my kids what they want.

MikeyC

Well done, mate. You've made a great choice.

I'm glad to hear this, BlueDays. :thumbup: It's hard to leave a toxic relationship, especially the women, but you had the courage (or you were just fed up) to leave, and that is a huge achievement that should never be underestimated.

I don't regret never giving in to cigarettes. Both my parents smoke and I never saw the ideal in it. I have been pressured along the way from peers, but never gave in. I'm glad I don't.

I don't regret never trying drugs. Alcohol is the one exception.

I don't regret those number of times I had the guts to say what I wanted and stand up for myself. I hope to continue that in the future. :thumbup:

Amitush123

Camcelling marriage.
She was not the one for me, and it felt to me like prison..thank god I managed to dodge that bullet..

akala

edit-i read the post wrong just realized, thought it said what i did regret
But i don't regret some mistakes from the past that I learned from

Last edited: