What do you do for a living?

And how do your social problems affect your work or vice-versa?

I'm a medical lab technician. I stay in the lab pretty much all day, away from patients. There's anywhere from 0-8 other people scattered thoughout the lab who I work with. I chose this job, which I have no interest in, almost solely because I wouldn't have to work with people very much. Sometimes I have to go to the ER to draw blood and that stresses me out a lot.

Has anyone else let their fears determine their career? Has anyone here overcome their fears in order to do something they love?

Slytherin88

I am a secondary teacher. Becoming this has helped a lot with my SP and anxiety, especially doing supply/substitute teaching. it's not something I want to do, but I don't know how to get into the career I want.

Froggy246

Admin, I feel SA has capped me in terms of moving upwards or towards a career that would interest me. For example I dropped out of a couple of college courses because I couldn't handle the presentations, it soaks up a lot of energy too so I lack motivation to move in a new direction. I tend to side step or apply for jobs a scale under what I've done previously, and don't go for promotions. I don't know how long I can keep this up though because I'm getting on now! But the fear is just so intense, I think I might have to consider outside help before I throw my life away.

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
I never knew my story

I just got shown the exit after a few years, and each incident makes me crumble

The 3rd position was lost because I lost my girlfriend and knew it would set me down the ranks of esteem, but didn't take in the current situation and what it would mean for the future.

Recruiters do smell my loss of status and it seems nothing I can do to climb the rope out of the pit. I'm been too paranoid and need to be ambitious and just say something nice. My attitude needs correction. The soul effort needs to be made

Flanscho

I'm a programmer. On the one hand I like it. It's decently paid, and I constantly learn new stuff, which makes me more valuable over time. It also allows me to never be bored. As long as I got any computer or laptop or mobile phone nearby, I can just start programming stuff.

On the other hand, if I'd be younger, I'd probably start studying biology.

Richey

Dishwasher and Labourer. So as you can see my self esteem and confidence has genuinely matched up with my job situation. Though I do read and study a lot. Responsibility in the working world doesn't usually agree with me, I don't last long. So I have sort of missed out on a good career because of that. People that are successful are usually quite confident and don't have sensitivity issues I find. Ego is what seems to win for people

So I would say fear has won out and also the job situation has mirrored how I feel about myself.

I would usually associate programmers, scientists, teacher, admin as people who would be very confident.

Last edited:

jaim38

Has anyone else let their fears determine their career? Has anyone here overcome their fears in order to do something they love?

To be honest, yes. Before college, I dreamt about being a doctor. But after some social experiences and my grades went downhill, I thought about going into nursing instead because I don't think I have what it takes to be a doctor. Also, after a series of horrible social experiences, I realize that I can't deal with poeple at all, and I should stay far away from poeple. So finally, it came down to accounting or IT. I chose IT.

People burn me out so fast. I would rather take a long, hard test or even force myself to crunch numbers than have to deal with poeple. That's how much I don't like poeple. There I said it. It's ironic becasue I am a person too but there's also not much I like about myself.

BTW, medical lab technician was actually one of the "careers for introverts" that I considered before choosing IT. I like the fact that it's in health care so it's recession proof, and also you get to work in a lab with little or no poeple interaction.

I'm a machinist/toolmaker and I supervise two other machinists. I also weld. I had to do a class in the machine shop in college so it was on my resume when I applied for a job as a machinist. Been doing this ever since. I've stuck with it because it's a job always in demand and it pays pretty good. My SA isn't bothered by my career because I don't deal with the public and I rarely speak to co workers. I had several jobs before this while in college and even after. They included firefighting, farm work, rock drilling/truck driving, and working in a glass factory.