What are you living for?

Krista

Somedays when I'm feeling really hard on myself I feel like there's nothing to live for. Not suicidal wise but that if I were to just sit and do nothing it really wouldn't matter. But when this mood lifts and life gives you something to look forward to you realize that you have just about everything to live for. I deserve to be hopeful for my future, to live for the children I might have, the man I'll marry one day and the future I would like to make for myself one day. I have to remind myself when I don't feel like I want to go through one more day as me that I'm a good person who deserves everything just like everyone else and one day I'll have it.

Pookah

i keep a list of things happening in the future, to inspire me to want to stick around. it's mostly movies and space-related things. it actually helps a bit.

> 2010-01 final season of LOST starts
> 2010 dune by peter berg opens
> 2010 alice in wonderland (tim burton) opens
> 2011-08 Dawn explores Vesta [a bit smaller than ceres]. will orbit for 9 mos
> 2011-03 Messenger enters Mercury orbit
> 2011 Juno launch (?)
> 2011 IceCube finished
> 2012 pixar's john carter on mars
> 2013 James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launches (IR for distant galaxies)
> 2014-05 Rosetta drops probe on comet, and enters orbit
> 2014 first flight of Orion crew vehicle
> 2014 LIGO 2 opens - anticipated to transform gravitational wave science into a real observational tool.
> 2015 Dawn explores Ceres [largest asteroid, surface area=40% of usa]
> 2015-01 New Horizons begins observing Pluto system
> 2015-07-14 New Horizons arrives at Pluto (~20 hours in pretty close proximity)
> 2016 Juno arrives in Jupiter orbit
> 2018 first test flight of Ares launcher
> 2018 Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) complete - 12x resolution of hubble
> 2019 Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) complete - up to 10x sharper than hubble
> 2020 Europa Jupiter System Mission launch
> 2020 nasa trip to moon
> 2024 lunar base established at one of the lunar poles
> 2030? Titan Saturn System Mission - NASA orbiter + ESA lander and baloon

oh, and somewhere in there should be the alien prequel, directed by ridley scott (!?) woo!

I agree with above. I basically accumulate things I don't want to miss about the future. Science, space exploration, movies, books and games.

Enialis227

i keep a list of things happening in the future, to inspire me to want to stick around. it's mostly movies and space-related things. it actually helps a bit.

> 2010-01 final season of LOST starts
> 2010 dune by peter berg opens
> 2010 alice in wonderland (tim burton) opens
> 2011-08 Dawn explores Vesta [a bit smaller than ceres]. will orbit for 9 mos
> 2011-03 Messenger enters Mercury orbit
> 2011 Juno launch (?)
> 2011 IceCube finished
> 2012 pixar's john carter on mars
> 2013 James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launches (IR for distant galaxies)
> 2014-05 Rosetta drops probe on comet, and enters orbit
> 2014 first flight of Orion crew vehicle
> 2014 LIGO 2 opens - anticipated to transform gravitational wave science into a real observational tool.
> 2015 Dawn explores Ceres [largest asteroid, surface area=40% of usa]
> 2015-01 New Horizons begins observing Pluto system
> 2015-07-14 New Horizons arrives at Pluto (~20 hours in pretty close proximity)
> 2016 Juno arrives in Jupiter orbit
> 2018 first test flight of Ares launcher
> 2018 Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) complete - 12x resolution of hubble
> 2019 Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) complete - up to 10x sharper than hubble
> 2020 Europa Jupiter System Mission launch
> 2020 nasa trip to moon
> 2024 lunar base established at one of the lunar poles
> 2030? Titan Saturn System Mission - NASA orbiter + ESA lander and baloon

oh, and somewhere in there should be the alien prequel, directed by ridley scott (!?) woo!

This is an extremely cool idea!
I think I'm going to compose a list right now.

Gilic

What keeps me going is motivation even though the future might look dark and hopeless I still want to live another day to try it again. I've had so many ups and downs in my life suffered many heartbreaks most of them was not my fault,I always got hurt in my life but I'm still not giving up. I write song lyrics and compose instrumentals that is one thing that keeps me going cause I can reach out to other people thats going through what I am going through. I love basketball its a fun sport I release all the stress and worrying when I'm playing and another thing that I'm living for is the basic promises that God want us to have.

Carnation

I keep going for my family. If they weren't around any more I wouldn't see the point in carrying on. I'm in my thirties and these days I close my eyes at night and hope I don't wake up the next day.

lunarla

At the moment I would, without much hesitation, go freeze in the snow. I'm thinking that with it being -35 ish lately on days, it wouldn't take all too long. Doesn't seem like too bad of a way to go.

If it weren't for my cat, that is, I think I'd do that.

jco3

My family, the people that came before and after me and the struggles they've had to/will endure, and well... I don't have any friends at the moment... But I'm trying, I ain't ever giving up.

easyeee

I really dont know either. I would say probably my job because I get to help other people. I think helping people gives me some sort of satisfaction in my life. I would also say my family, because I love them a lot, and I know that they love me alot. The world does scare me though. Ive had days where I have felt completely hopeless, and did not get out of bed. I actually called off work yesterday, because I felt so lowsy, and worthless. I have never really been good when it comes to girls, and almost have come to the point where i think that no women like me at all. I do try and keep a positive mindset, and try to think of all of the good things and qualities about myself, even though some days it is hard to.

I have a pretty rock-solid daily routine, which keeps me constantly occupied, and i always have many projects on the go at any one time (mainly programming). So i always feel "needed" as such, and always have a sense of purpose, and very seldom do i feel "at a loose end"
So basically i just keep very busy all the time, and live mainly for the small pleasures/comforts in the moment. I don't think of the past, or the future, just the right-now.
Edit: Thinking about it, i actually use my constant busy-ness, binging on comfort food, sometime binging on alcohol, nervous habits, my obsessional programming, etc, as ways to prevent me from "feeling" (as when i "stop", i tend to feel somewhat "bored" (usu apprehensive/nervous/lonely)). But if i "keep going" constantly, from the moment i arise to the moment i go to sleep, then i can contually be evading my problematic feelings? So, in that case, really i am "numbing-out" everything & just escaping into my own private little world .. but for now i seem to be content with this state of affairs (probably because it's WAY WAY better than being depressed/etc; ie i'm content with just evading my "major sh*t"). Maybe i should be trying to aim a little higher with my life, now that i'm out of the "poo"?
Edit2: I am constantly blotting-out my negative subconscious thoughts, with mental/sensory positives (is a "task" (requires constant vigilance/activity), but i'm managing pretty well i think)

And I feel quite content with my present life, in spite of my problems (probably cause my mind is off my problems for most of the time). So for example, the fact that i've probably "wasted my whole life away" to date doesn't bother me :)
But of course i am lucky enough to have my depression, mood swings, alcoholism, anxiety, panic attacks, anger, irritabilty, paranoia, etc, etc under control, or at least quite manageable. I can recall that in "those bad old days" i lived for quite different things than i do today (you know - scared to botch-up suicide attempt, not wanting to put family through pain of my loss, leaving projects unfinished, haven't had a chance to revenge myself at world, etc, etc)

So i suppose, what a person is "living for" might depend on "where they're currently at" in life (??). And just maybe the two might be interdependent upon each other??? This I find to be a very interesting concept!! I'll have to ponder on it some more...

Last edited:

combat

Thinking about it, i actually use my constant busy-ness, binging on comfort food, sometime binging on alcohol, nervous habits, my obsessional programming, etc, as ways to prevent me from "feeling" (as when i "stop", i tend to feel somewhat "bored" (usu apprehensive/nervous/lonely)). But if i "keep going" constantly, from the moment i arise to the moment i go to sleep, then i can contually be evading my problematic feelings?

I do the same thing with work. The busier the workday is, the better I tend to feel about everything because I can completely focus on the task at hand rather than think about things that are bothering me.

Honda

I live to live life... No plans and i dont care anymore.. I'd want to die with a huge ass smile on my face (probably during sex :p) rather than any regrets, anxiety or confusion...

this_portrait

I live because I have been presented with many great potential opportunities that I can easily attain if I work hard enough to attain them. I live to make something of myself and not let my family down by being yet another loser relative with no goals, no talent, and no job. I also live to impress others; I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I guess it can go both ways.

Honda

im reaching an extent that im starting to favor happiness over success in life.
Id rather fail in my career and not have savings for the future and not spend on luxuries for the sake of being happy.. Even though i was raised to live a good quality life and my parents worked hard for giving me a good life and put high hopes in me, which makes me think twice... Yet i think a matter of time for societies to change and people will start killing all those silly barries we have today.. Alot of barriers in the past already died nowadays...

ThePunisher

I live for revenge, revenge on bullies. I hate them with all my heart. I hate how they make people suffer and take pleasure out of it. I know there are some that don't realise it. But these bullies need to be punish to realise what they're doing is wrong and so they know what it feels like, and then maybe they'll learn. I myself was once a bully when I was very young like around 8 and that's how I learnt it was wrong.

I also live to help other people who are going through the same experiences that I have and give them hope and the will to carry on with life.

Honda

^ revenge is a waste, ull probably never see them again, focus on the other stuff in life.. Just whenever you meet them again... Focus on your life..

ThePunisher

^ revenge is a waste, ull probably never see them again, focus on the other stuff in life.. Just whenever you meet them again... Focus on your life..

It's the way I choose to live my life cause I got something worth fighting for. I have decided this a long time ago and have put months of thought into that decision.

Unless you have been bullied badly like me, treated unfairly and not receiving help when you cry out for it, then you don't know what it's like and understand why I feel this way.