Were you breastfed?

Argamemnon

I wasn't breastfed and neither is my brother. It's interesting that you bring that up because we're both loony, but then again I think we're just the product of a pretty messed up family.
My brother wasn't breastfed either and he committed suicide in 2002. He had schizophrenia. I myself suffer from chronic depression and generalized anxiety. Hmm...

As I said earlier, I had read some researches indicating that people who weren't breastfed were more prone to mental illnesses including schizpphrenia.

Here is a Danish study.

Breastfeeding and risk of schizophrenia in the Copenhagen Perinatal Cohort

ABSTRACT
Objective: The aim was to study whether early weaning from breastfeeding may be associated with increased risk of schizophrenia.

Method: The current sample comprises 6841 individuals from the Copenhagen Perinatal Cohort of whom 1671 (24%) had been breastfed for 2 weeks or less (early weaning) and 5170 (76%) had been breastfed longer. Maternal schizophrenia, parental social status, single mother status and gender were included as covariates in a multiple regression analysis of the effect of early weaning on the risk of hospitalization with schizophrenia.

Results: The sample comprised 93 cases of schizophrenia (1.4%). Maternal schizophrenia was the strongest risk factor and a significant association between single mother status and elevated offspring risk of schizophrenia was also observed. Early weaning was significantly related to later schizophrenia in both unadjusted and adjusted analyses (adjusted odds ratio 1.73 with 95% CI: 1.13–2.67).

Conclusion: No or <2 weeks of breastfeeding was associated with elevated risk of schizophrenia. The hypothesis of some protective effect of breastfeeding against the risk of later schizophrenia is supported by our data.

Source: Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Last edited:

Argamemnon

I know that a mother's breast milk is the best option for a baby although nowadays they make very good formula. Can you tell us any specifics?
There should be capital punishment for parents who choose to bottle feed their babies. Those who come up with those "formulas" you mentioned should also receive the death sentence IMO.

In addition to that Danish study I posted, I recall reading a much larger British study. Their conclusions were the same.

Amon

I was breastfed, so were both my brothers. They seem to be completely fine yet I turned out to be like this.

Argamemnon

The Canadian Study leaves no doubt that ingredients that contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG) and free aspartic acid -- known neurotoxins -- are used in baby formula. The fact that neurotoxins are present in baby formula is of particular concern because the blood brain barrier is never fully developed in infants, allowing neurotoxins more accessibility to the brain then would be the case in healthy adults.

The amounts of aspartic acid and glutamic acid found in the formulas analyzed in the Canadian Study have been listed separately in the above schedules. However, in studies using experimental animals, neuroscientists have found that glutamic acid and aspartic acid load on the same receptors in the brain, cause identical brain lesions and neuroendocrine disorders, and act in an additive fashion.

You will note that the level of neurotoxins found in the hypoallergenic formula was greater than the level of neurotoxins found in the other formulas. In reviewing the literature on hypoallergenic formulas, we found short term studies that concluded that hypoallergenic formulas are safe because babies tolerated them and gained weight. However, we have not seen any long term studies on the safety of hypoallergenic formulas. We believe that well designed long term studies would demonstrate that infants raised on hypoallergenic formulas, as compared to infants who are breast fed or fed on non-hypoallergenic formulas, will exhibit more learning disabilities at school age, and/or will exhibit more endocrine disorders such as obesity and reproductive disorders later in life. Long term studies on the effects of hypoallergenic formulas need to be done.

To put these figures in perspective, consider that in an FDA sponsored study dated July, 1992 entitled "Safety of Amino Acids Used in Dietary Supplements," the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology concluded, in part, that:

"...it is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children.... and...by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders." (MSG is called glutamic acid when used in supplements.)

Consider, also, that a press release dated May 27, 1999, which discussed the European Commission marketing authorization for RotaShield(R) Rotavirus Vaccine stated, in part,

"RotaShield(R) should not be given to infants who are hypersensitive to latex or ... or monosodium glutamate."

Shortly after its introduction, RotaShield(R) Rotavirus Vaccine was taken off the market.

Source: Infant formula

iamthenra

There should be capital punishment for parents who choose to bottle feed their babies. Those who come up with those "formulas" you mentioned should also receive the death sentence IMO.

In addition to that Danish study I posted, I recall reading a much larger British study. Their conclusions were the same.

My sister had a breast reduction early in life, and after she had kids. She couldn't get any milk to flow out.... So there are cases when a mother just simply cannot breast feed her kids.

Lea

Banned

:eek: Hm, I was breastfed and am not allright at all (politely said). Some might not have been breastfed and are doing better than me (don´t know anyone in particular but I would bet there are plenty).

Anubis

The question that needs to be asked is "Does level of intelligence necessarily correlate with SA?". Because I've seen a lot of academically "dumb" people become the most popular people in my high school days.

Lea

Banned
The question that needs to be asked is "Does level of intelligence necessarily correlate with SA?". Because I've seen a lot of academically "dumb" people become the most popular people in my high school days.

You´re right.

NormanBates

I was not breastfed. But ...
When my aunt was staying with us, she had just had a baby. And she was breast-feeding her newborn. Apparently she had an abundance of breast milk and kept it in a thermos. So out of nowhere, while we were all just hanging out she says "hey who wants to try some of my breast milk?"
I declined.
I missed my chance.
And to this day, I have still never been breast fed.

Zipper

I'm getting a kick out of this thread because I'm breastfeeding right now! I love me some breasts.

lyricalliaisons

I don't agree with that, myself, though I wasn't breast fed. I've recently been thinking that a seizure I had at three could be the cause. I'm 96% sure I have Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism & I've learned that there are links between early childhood seizures & Autism. I think a lot of my social anxiety stems from the Asperger's/HFA.