Volunteering

razzle dazzle rose

How many of you volunteer or have volunteered? I always read how good it is to volunteer: to meet people, to beef up a resume, gain new skills, and help others and the community.

I want to volunteer as I think it would be great way to get out of the house and "do something". I just don't really have any idea as to what to do. I looked up the city's animal shelter, and the only volunteer position I am really able to do is "cat feeder". Doesn't sound quite amazing, but it is worth a shot, and I do like cats.

I am interested in hearing your volunteering stories. So please, share away!

Phoenixx

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter a few years back. I loved it there. :) Back when I worked there, all they had at the time were cats because they were still getting the place on its feet. They were in the process of building kennels out back so they could be able to house dogs. I really didn't mind picking up after them, feeding them, and cleaning their cages. When I was done cleaning I would take the few kittens they had to the backroom and play with them. Sadly, I had to quit because I had gotten busy with school, I started having health problems, and.. well, it just wasn't a good time for my family or I.

I would love to go back again now and start volunteering again. I ran into the owner last winter at a festival, I was actually pretty happy and surprised to see her (since I hadn't at all since I left), and I think she was too. She told me she'd like for me to stop by again and help out. (And she told me how pretty I was ::eek::) I just wish I had my license already so I could do so.

Hmm... well... the shelter is on a back road... and not many cops are in the town I have to go through.... Perhaps I could take a drive myself... :D (I'm totally kidding)

WeirdyMcGee

Yes.

In Ontario- to graduate from highschool, you need to complete 40 hours of community service.
40 hours goes by pretty quickly once you start, so most people end up doing a couple hundred hours before they graduate.
We didn't have too many community service opportunities; being in a small town, but I volunteered at the animal shelters, the natural history museum, several charity events, the harvest share soup kitchen and the women's shelter.

Once I'd moved to the city, I didn't know anyone but I did volunteer a few times a month at the men's shelter in the area- cooking and doing laundry orders and just overall moral support to the men and children there.

I met one man who had 2 young sons.
Their house had burned down a year prior and they moved to the city to live with relatives; but things went south and they ended up living at a shelter with nothing left.
He was working with social services to get sponsored daycare for his sons so that he could find himself a full time job and rent an apartment.
His boys were the cutest little things-- so happy and energetic.
I moved from the city before he was able to get things to work out for his family.
I can just hope things got better for them.

Silatuyok

Yes!!! Some of my most amazing memories and achievements have come about through volunteering. I got my current job at the animal shelter (which I love) from volunteering for a different cat-related non-profit.
If you like animals, there is tons of stuff out there. I did an internship (which was basically volunteering full-time for 12 weeks) at a zoo vet hospital where I saw and did some crazy stuff. The pic of me with the fawns and the opossums were all made possible through volunteering and interning at a wildlife rehab center over two summers. I've also volunteered with a therapeutic horse organization, among other things. They were all really, really amazing opportunities, and I've met some cool people along the way.

I would suggest trying out the cat feeding thing, even if it doesn't sound too exciting. But it may open doors for more interesting opportunities. There should be a number of animal shelters or animal welfare groups in any community, so some searching around could turn up some cool stuff. Also, there is a website called volunteermatch.org which I have used to find some fun stuff to do.
Good luck in your search!

razzle dazzle rose

Now that I remember, I did volunteer once. For the student community hours we were supposed to complete to graduate. I volunteered at the school's library! Haha...I had to stay in my comfort zone.

I am gonna give this volunteering a go. And maybe get an internship somewhere if possible. Thanks for the replies guys :)

razzle dazzle rose

Yes!!! Some of my most amazing memories and achievements have come about through volunteering. I got my current job at the animal shelter (which I love) from volunteering for a different cat-related non-profit.
If you like animals, there is tons of stuff out there. I did an internship (which was basically volunteering full-time for 12 weeks) at a zoo vet hospital where I saw and did some crazy stuff. The pic of me with the fawns and the opossums were all made possible through volunteering and interning at a wildlife rehab center over two summers. I've also volunteered with a therapeutic horse organization, among other things. They were all really, really amazing opportunities, and I've met some cool people along the way.

I would suggest trying out the cat feeding thing, even if it doesn't sound too exciting. But it may open doors for more interesting opportunities. There should be a number of animal shelters or animal welfare groups in any community, so some searching around could turn up some cool stuff. Also, there is a website called volunteermatch.org which I have used to find some fun stuff to do.
Good luck in your search!

Amazing! Now, that would be the best thing that could happen for me: to somehow land a job. I really do want to help out though. I need to get out there. Get a semblance of a normal life. I love love love animals.; and cats especially are really dear to my heart. All your experiences sound so awesome. Me so jealous :D

How did you get the zoo internship? That sounds so interesting. Did any of these positions require prior experience?

I saw your pic with the fawns: so.adorable.

Silatuyok

Amazing! Now, that would be the best thing that could happen for me: to somehow land a job. I really do want to help out though. I need to get out there. Get a semblance of a normal life. I love love love animals.; and cats especially are really dear to my heart. All your experiences sound so awesome. Me so jealous :D

How did you get the zoo internship? That sounds so interesting. Did any of these positions require prior experience?

I saw your pic with the fawns: so.adorable.

I found the zoo internship just by google searching "animal internships" in my area. The internships don't require prior experience, but preference is usually given to college students who are studying some sort of animal science or environmental science. But not always! It's good just to apply and see what happens.

coyote

when i was 18 years old, i volunteered for the U.S. Marine Corps

i worked with alot of animals

NP88

I volunteered at an animal shlter in my home town. It felt amazing, those animals were awsome and fillled me with such a sense of wellbeing and purpose. I aspired to do more volunteer work for causes I believed in though that plan has fallen through for the moment as I need to get my sh-t together... I would suggest it.

MaliceInWickedland

Yes.

In Ontario- to graduate from highschool, you need to complete 40 hours of community service.
40 hours goes by pretty quickly once you start, so most people end up doing a couple hundred hours before they graduate.

We had the same requirement at my school and we had to do at least 10 hours each year in order for it to count. I ended up doing almost 200 hours because I loved volunteering at the dog shelter so much ::p:

Freshman year I volunteered at the hospital my mom works at. I was expecting it to be a pleasant experience but it was quite the opposite. They put me to work in the filing room and the lady in charge worked me like a dog. I had to haul heavy loads of patient charts, file them, print hundreds of copies of patient info and haul the heavy boxes of copies back and forth up and down the building. My back was killing me throughout that entire week. Not fun...

The last three years of high school I volunteered at a local dog shelter, which was really fun and provided me with a lot of positive experiences. All the dogs there were so cute and good natured. I wish I could have brought them all home with me, but my favorite dog above all was this husky/malamute mix named Chronos. He's the reason I love Huskies so much. His previous owner was really abusive and he had a lot of scars on his body, but even then he was such a beautiful and friendly dog. I wanted to adopt him so badly but my house at the time wasn't spacious enough for such an energetic breed of dog. I would stop by and visit him even after I completed my hours there. Unfortunately he got really sick and they had to put him down last year ::(:

Either way I really loved volunteering at the dog shelter. All the dogs there were so friendly and loving. I just can't bring myself to understand how and why anyone could leave such wonderful animals behind to rot and die. It's just sad...

razzle dazzle rose

I just can't bring myself to understand how and why anyone could leave such wonderful animals behind to rot and die. It's just sad...

It makes me so sad too :( It also makes me sad to see all the stray kittens in the neighborhood. Makes me so scared that someone can hurt them or run them over. I want to take them in, but I already have three cats. Overpopulation of cats is a big problem. In the animal shelter I was looking at, they did have positions for people to spread the word about the importance of spaying and neutering pets. They give presentations in classes and stuff. If I wasn't so anxious to speak, I would so do that. Maybe later I will be able to.

Feathers

Great thread! :) It's awesome to read about all your experiences...

I've done a lot of volunteering, kinda burnt out at the moment, though I definitely want to do some more...

Guess my favorite was visiting older ladies and chatting, they can be soo sweet and so happy if you visit (except they make you eat bad/hard cookies! :) lol!) and they know such awesome stuff from history and have such wonderful life perspectives etc and they're soo happy if someone visits!

Next favorite was walking doggies from a shelter, yup! They can be soo happy if you visit and take'em for a walk, yup!!

I heard on the radio an animal shelter here in our country has not been getting enough funding from municipalities, yikes... I hope they won't start 'economizing' with 'lowest of them all'... on the other hand, possibly some opportunities for fundraising and such too, if that's something you might consider working in..

There are many kittens in our neighbourhood too, not sure what to do about them.. An older lady gives them food, she says some won't let you touch them though (I asked if they've ever been to a vet, apparently not, so hmm)

Silatuyok

There are many kittens in our neighbourhood too, not sure what to do about them.. An older lady gives them food, she says some won't let you touch them though (I asked if they've ever been to a vet, apparently not, so hmm)

Does your area have a trap-neuter-return program? Try googling TNR in your area and see if any organizations come up. The idea is that you can humanely trap the stray cats, have them neutered for a low cost, then return them to where they came from so they can live in their "colony", so long as someone is providing them with food and shelter. I've been volunteering with a TNR group for almost three years now, and we have neutered thousands upon thousands of cats, many of whom were able to be adopted out into loving families! I know, because one of my cats came from them!

Feathers

Does your area have a trap-neuter-return program? Try googling TNR in your area and see if any organizations come up. The idea is that you can humanely trap the stray cats, have them neutered for a low cost, then return them to where they came from so they can live in their "colony", so long as someone is providing them with food and shelter. I've been volunteering with a TNR group for almost three years now, and we have neutered thousands upon thousands of cats, many of whom were able to be adopted out into loving families! I know, because one of my cats came from them!
WOW, thanks - never knew something like that would exist... The older lady is on very low income and well, the street has been worried about it a bit.. Do they test for cats diseases too? Would the team catch cats too? And is it all for free or for pay? (who pays?)

I'm not from US or English speaking country, so I guess I'd need to Google something else.. I'm thinking of an organisation that could help maybe.. not sure if they'd come this far though.. Do you have good experience with older people 'allowing' this sort of thing, or could they be odd about it? (Not sure how she'd like it lol..)

AsTimeBurns

Would like to, but the only volunteering opportunities I could find round here were with the elderly, and I'm rubbish at talking to old people (well, just people, but especially old people), I never know what to say, so i'd be useless at that. Would much prefer something with animals, but couldn't find anything like that.

Invisibleman

I volunteered at my counties health fair. I worked at the youth centre booth where there was wii sports and stuff set up.I basically just sat and made sure little kids didnt shove the controller down their throats....

razzle dazzle rose

Guess my favorite was visiting older ladies and chatting, they can be soo sweet and so happy if you visit (except they make you eat bad/hard cookies! :) lol!) and they know such awesome stuff from history and have such wonderful life perspectives etc and they're soo happy if someone visits!

I had not considered working with the elderly. Does sound like a rewarding experience. I am sure I could learn a lot...only, sometimes I have a really hard time hearing, and older people can have such low voices. Um...could be interesting still.

razzle dazzle rose

I have read about those programs and they do them here too. Maybe I should give them a call and see if they can help out here 'cause it is like two ladies who have a lot of cats and I always see lots of kittens and then I see none :(

Feathers

I had not considered working with the elderly. Does sound like a rewarding experience. I am sure I could learn a lot...only, sometimes I have a really hard time hearing, and older people can have such low voices. Um...could be interesting still.

Well, some older people can have a really hard time hearing too lol, so they may require you to speak up... :) it'd probably be quite okay if you ask them to speak up too...?
You can always apologize about the hearing, and they may likely tell you their health problems too... I'm interested in health and natural remedies and nutrition, so it's quite interesting for me too.. I like to ask them about their youth/old days then, to distract them... :) Most really love reminiscing, or telling how things were done in the old days...

You could try it a few times and see if you like it, some programs only ask to visit someone 2x a year or so, to bring a symbolic gift and check up on them... some may not have any limits... maybe there's a home for the elderly near too?
Check what's possible where you live, or you could just visit some older neighbours/relatives and chat a bit and see how you like it? Aunts/uncles/distant relatives can sometimes be happy of visitors too, even if you haven't had much contact beforehand... (especially if they're 80+ and/or their family is too busy with things..)

There are programs for teaching the elderly computer skills too, haven't done any of that, but it might be interesting for some people...