Unpleasant Idea

Tlachtgha

I'm increasingly tending towards the bleak conclusion that people ultimately value each other (outside of familial relationships) only as either (1) physically attractive objects or (2) holders of assets/money. That's it.
The idea that our individual personalities are of any worth is a delusion.

Too cynical?

Whether it is or not here's a prediction: most of those who disagree with this will just happen to fit into one of the two categories mentioned above :)

hippiechild

People's individual personalities are ever so important, no doubt. Some people's personalities make me feel cool e.g., that super liberal, freethinking girlfriend reinforces the idea that I, too, am a freethinker and that I am the kind of person who is accepting of independent women. In that case the person-object works to reinforce an identity.

Certain personality types tend towards activities that give me great pleasure. I like the sensitive, weak-minded artsy types because they create beautiful works for me to display in my living room. I derive incredible joy from the eccentric, scientifically minded people too, as they provide me with information and insight. The quivering, love longing, peace pursuing hippies are also great, seeing as they fight for things like organic produce, happy chickens and free-range cows; I love to know that I'm at least semi-responsible for the death of a happy, prancing animal... the happier it was, the more I have taken away and the better I feel. This also applies to my broccoli, carrots, lettuce and rutabaga, but to a lesser degree since I'm not sure whether or how they perceive happiness. Mmmm, happy blood/vegetable juices

People with generous personalities are good to manipulate for things like 'love', as well as forcing them to conform to my reality and help reinforce it... paragraph one

I need all kinds of personalities. If I want to run the movie of my life, I need a supporting cast. I can't have a boring supporting cast, as that would reflect badly on me, making me seem boring. I need the other characters in my movie to be interesting and versatile enough to compliment the lead character, myself.

Oh, personalities are precious

Last edited:

Nicholas

Too cynical?
Too restricted.
People will think you are better than someone else if there is something about you that is attractive to them. It's not always money, it's not always muscles, it's not always having a big penis/big boobs. Some people are attracted by a sense of humor, by certain ideals, by certain sports, by certain skills.

Harleyq

My closest friends have been dirt poor and people I'm not physically attracted to, whatsoever. So I'd say personality counts. I could go into a really long spiel about how personality counts in our relationships in many ways, especially from what I've learned in my communications and psych classes, but I just woke up and don't feel like it, lol.

Your idea relies on the belief that things in life are either BLACK or WHITE........The older I get, the more I realise just how GREY life actually is!:)

Cynic

I'm increasingly tending towards the bleak conclusion that people ultimately value each other (outside of familial relationships) only as either (1) physically attractive objects or (2) holders of assets/money. That's it.
The idea that our individual personalities are of any worth is a delusion.

Too cynical?
Agree 100%.

Silvox Black

Such beliefs are quite truly based on your own personal experience yes? You would not be a true intellectual if you based your beliefs without reaching your own conclusions yes? Then I would ask of you to continue to see this world. I for one have seen evidence that contradicts those words. Honor in this world is not dead! Perhaps it is in its dying breaths but then again, there may be those who can revive it. All I ask is that you not make your conclusion yet for in all honesty, I have found you are wrong. There is still much to see and there are kindhearted, truly moral individuals in this realm.

shore_of_glass

Too restricted.
People will think you are better than someone else if there is something about you that is attractive to them. It's not always money, it's not always muscles, it's not always having a big penis/big boobs. Some people are attracted by a sense of humor, by certain ideals, by certain sports, by certain skills.

This. People are attracted for many reasons. Ofc it may change some choices, but it shouldn't imo.

I thought like that sometimes tho, but I'm too young to say something relying lol.

Silvox Black

This. People are attracted for many reasons. Ofc it may change some choices, but it shouldn't imo.

I thought like that sometimes tho, but I'm too young to say something relying lol.

Do not allow your age to squander your talents. Age means very little beyond a measurement of time. One can be quite young, yet have the intelligence of a well learned man. Speak your mind. Perhaps you shall surprise many people here with your words.

I think a personality will eventually wash out an appearance, but I dunno really, people are so deluded. You could have the personality of a shoe and probably still be taken at face value.

Tlachtgha

I'll admit my post may have been overly pessimistic and rigid - I was in a particularly gloomy mood last night - but I do believe that the superficial qualities I mentioned are valued much more highly than personality by most people. Today more than ever.

shore_of_glass

It's like a mix between those stats. Money, looks, personality, etc.
the choices we make won't be based always in the same things, there are MANY details that can influence our choices. Because there are limits.

I mean, if there's a beautiful rich girl, I'd want to check out how she is as a person (if i ever had the guts lol, not on a life time plus I doubt her personality would please me), but if I found an average looking girl with a certain social and financial status, It would depend greatly on all those plus the the personality, character etc. I might turn away or go forth depending on ALL of those. The bottom limits play an important role.

Ofc there's another thing goin on with me, I tend to go for women that seem unconfident, because I'm just that way too.